Mike'sHorseBarn

Valve Grinder........Finally!

Mike'sHorseBarn

I've been looking for one of these for a while. Saw one at a sale and I got it for $20. Took it home and plugged it in and it actually worked! I'm going to take some old valves I have laying around and practice with it before I try to do anything that I want to actually be nice.

20210501_142536.jpg.ee6dd8c3eb3ca73598dcc307154fe7fa.jpg

20210501_142528.jpg.d5765636f417ea3749fdc3ae157ab701.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

pacer

Twenty bucks!! that would be hard to pass up, even if it is almost obsolete (it'll still do a Koehler) Did you get a box of stones with it? I've go 2-3 laying around here somewhere always thought I'd find some use for them, but............

I jury rigged a grinder set-up on my milling machine to do the valves, but can still only do the seats by hand, and since I've done 5-6 motors and they all run good..... The seats usually look good anyway and its the valve that'll get the ridge on it.

• Like 1

WHX??

Saaaaweeettt Mike ... give her a good home... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have lots of Kohler 7 and 8's that don't have adjustable valves so I think this will come in handy. I don't know how much the refacer will get used, but then stem grinder will. At the very least, it's a neat old tool to have in the shop!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Could probably do 3 angle valve jobs too.  Is it wrth the time to do this on a Kohler running at 3600 rpm?

squonk
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Could probably do 3 angle valve jobs too.  Is it wrth the time to do this on a Kohler running at 3600 rpm?

3 angle is done on the valve seat.

• Like 1

lynnmor
13 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

The angles are ground on the valve seat to get the correct width of contact.  Too wide and the pounds per square inch is too light leading to leakage and burning.  too narrow leads to faster wear and a hotter valve.  The correct width should be maintained on any engine regardless of RPM or other factors.

• Like 1

8ntruck

Three angles on the valve and valve seat are said to improve flow at low valve lift.  Kinda knocks some sharp corners off of the flow path.

Edited by 8ntruck

WHX??
On 5/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

At the very least, it's a neat old tool to have in the shop!

Got that right Mike!

• Like 1