Commando800

Metal grinding noise

Commando800

I’m having an issue with my 1971 commando 800 she’s daily driver but inspected well the issue I’m having is when I put my right foot on the floor board and have pressure just sitting then it make this metal vibration noise but when I get off the tractor and I lift the floor board up there no noise I think it’s the pulley for the transmission hitting the cover but I’m not sure how to resolve it thank you everyone!

BF31EEE9-353A-4237-9F48-B914F4464EC1.jpeg

5912C7EB-249E-4260-BC81-4891D583ACAF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

A good place to start would to pull the guard over the drive belt and look for rub marks.  Also check to make sure the drive pulley is tight on its shaft, and the bearing in the idler pulley - if there is one.  I'm not familiar with the innards of that model.  While you are there, wiggle the floor board around to see it it is loose.

Good luck, and :text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  Somebody who has had and fixed this issue will probably be along with advice in the near future.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

And :text-welcomeconfetti:

Commando800

Thank you I really appreciate the advice hopefully it’s nothing major.

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Also check if the noise might be coming from the floor board hitting the bottom edge of the seat pan.  

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS: seems like they have you pointed in the right direction, I'm going to guess the bearing on the idler pulley, somewhat easy fix once you can source the pulley.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If it’s rattling and you depress the clutch, does the noise change?

• Like 2

Commando800
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If it’s rattling and you depress the clutch, does the noise change?

when I release the clutch it still makes the noise the noise gets worse if I have pressure with my foot on the floor board.

peter lena

NEWBIE,  best to remove belt guard plate ,and foot rest plate , and look over every functional part of your set up , is every movement point , rusty or lubricated ? get some help to watch the entire function . if that pulley is shot , and you have a bearing distributor near by , you can get a duplicate pulley with a much larger bearing, bush it down to 3/8 " and install. sounds like a combination of wear and sloppy movement points to me . done this many times , look at every point , the problem is hiding in plane site , pete 

• Like 1