jellyghost

Push Mower with the virtues of a WH?

OutdoorEnvy

@wh500special I agree with your thoughts on the HRX and old 2 stroke Lawnboys.  I have a Honda HRX as well for my main mower and it is probably the same age as yours.  Great mower for sure and the 190cc Honda is a beast.  Cut quality is great with the two blade system it has.  Really hoping it's the last push mower I need to buy.  It was pricey as you know but thought if it goes 25-30 years or longer that's a bargain. 

I have an early 90s 2 stroke Lawnboy gold series with the 3 gear speed trans.  I use it mainly for my rougher mowing in the woods and I do mulch with it from time to time on my yard when I'm just in the mood to run it.  I keep the blade sharp and the cut is pretty good.  It can give more a solid carpet look to the yard.  Rather than nice row/striping look the HRX does.  Sometimes I go crazy and mix it up!  haha! 

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11

I just saw this thread... I think @OutdoorEnvy kinda' resurrected it. :bow-blue:

The answer to this question is certainly not Craftsman... we have had... several... and they have all been junk.

NOW... having said that... we did have a nice Toro all wheel drive model many years back, and it lasted a good while.

The biggest problem with newer push mowers is that the majority of them that are Briggs powered now have plastic carbs.

The decks on craftsman mowers are very durable. The motors... are not. My advice if you are wanting to buy a newer push mower... take a look at the carb on the mower... if it is plastic... do not buy the mower.

Tractor Supply stores sell, what appears to me, to be quite nice push mowers.

If I was in the market for a new push mower, I would go with Toro, Troy, or maybe even an el-cheapy Yard Machines push mower...

I guess it is enough to say... they really don't make them to last anymore... if they did... they wouldn't make any money...

Don

• Like 1

Dakota8338
On 4/27/2021 at 9:51 PM, jellyghost said:

What is "SP"?  Going to search lawn boys now...

Writing my inspection report one day, I already had writers cramp, so I had the 'bright idea' to abbreviated "stainless steel"  as SS in my report, thinking it would be fulling understood SS equated to stainless steel, since it was such a common term in our industry/reports.   

Nope!  Not so.  In due course the supervisor phoned one morning, wanting to know what SS was?  I told him, at least now, I know you do read, all the written documents I send you, but back to your original question, can I at least, assume you know SS is not for 'Same Sex', or 'Super Sport'?  We talked on a little longer before I told him, I guess I should have included a code/notation at the end of my report detailing my SS shorthand, but I assumed stainless steel was so integral to our written reports, I assumed it would be natural to understand SS was stainless steel.  

Dakota8338
On 4/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, roadapples said:

Gave up trim mowing for weed eating...

I did also, after suffering a heart-attack in '12.  The portable string trimmer were wearisome to carry about, so I purchased a wheeled string trimmer, which I could push around and it is fantastic.  It it gets into something unseen, there are no more any chipped or bent blades to deal with, neither is there any need to sharpen or replace the blades.  So I will never return to a bladed lawn mower for trim work. 

Anyone out there considering, or wanting to get away from a push, or self-propelled lawn mower for trim work, try a wheeled string trimmer, and I bet you will love it.