rovert21

314-8 Trans teardown

rovert21

HI everyone so I tore apart the transmission from a 314-8, because the roll pin that holds the piece on the bottom of the shifter disintegrated and that piece whatever its called fell into the case. I ordered all new seals for it before I started and when I pulled the seals out for the axles there was actually 2 on each side. Should there be 2 on each side or just 1? I only ordered 2 axle seals 1 for each side. I tried looking up part diagrams and service manual and nothing specifies. The parts diagram looks like just 1 seal. All bearings and gears look good to me is there anything else to look for while I'm in there. Trying to do this as cheap and fast as I can. The only problem I had with the trans before was a sloppy shifter, and I think I found out why the hard way. Also what do you guys do with the hole for the shift fork detents. When I punched the plug out I couldn't get the spring and balls out so I ended up drilling it bigger, probably too big because I broke through the casting on the inside of the case. I don't think it will hurt anything since its on the inside, but my plan was to tap the hole and red lock tight a set screw or something like that into the case. One last thing what gear oil do you like to run in these transmissions?

oliver2-44

The originally had one seal per side, but the older seals were thicker.  It’s not uncommon to stack 2 of the newer thinner seals I like to put some grease between the inner and outer seal. 
you mention the roll pin on the shifter ball deteriorating.  Make sure you have a good rubber boot on the shifter to help keep water out of that area. 
I can’t quite visualize where you drill/broke through on the inner case. A picture would help. 
These use 90 wt gear oil

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, rovert21 said:

Also what do you guys do with the hole for the shift fork detents.

That hole is covered by the transmission mounting plate on the frame. Most of us leave it open, some put a little caulk in it.

• Like 2

rovert21
11 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

The originally had one seal per side, but the older seals were thicker.  It’s not uncommon to stack 2 of the newer thinner seals I like to put some grease between the inner and outer seal. 
you mention the roll pin on the shifter ball deteriorating.  Make sure you have a good rubber boot on the shifter to help keep water out of that area. 
I can’t quite visualize where you drill/broke through on the inner case. A picture would help. 
These use 90 wt gear oil

Ok. So I guess I could always add another if it doesn't seal with one. I didn't get my new ones in the mail yet but the old ones had a grove on one side. I'm not sure cause I wasn't expecting 2 to come out but I think the groove on the inner one was facing out and the groove on the outer facing in. Is there a right and wrong way t put them in? If I remember I can take a picture of the hole.

rovert21
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That hole is covered by the transmission mounting plate on the frame. Most of us leave it open, some put a little caulk in it.

I guess it is pretty well covered. Caulking it would be easier, then I don't have t worry about tapping the hole and getting shavings places I don't want them.

oliver2-44

The side of the seal that has the spring always faces the oil you are trying to contain
image.jpeg.12570af0008453cdfac30efc7c2dc5df.jpeg

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

You do not want to put 2 seals on any of the shafts.  The thinking is that the oil doesn't get to the outer seal which will ruin that seal and make it worthless.  In the long run, it could ruin your axle. 

Put a dab of silicone calk or grease in that hole and call it good.  90wt is the oil you want.  It will take about 2 qts.

• Like 1