SylvanLakeWH

1982 C-85 Black Hoodie

rjg854

Looking good :text-bravo:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Little help please…

Was running well. Then no throttle.  Idle to high no change. Runs fine idle but no throttle. So went through the adjustment process in manual and no change. Cable is also slipping and does not seem correct for the governor adjustment arm… anyone have a k 181 you could post some pics on what it should look like? Here’s some pics of my problem:

4A895943-C664-4BE2-BE7A-9681F9C6F002.jpeg

59F6555E-3D0C-4D88-B927-A35B2D6ED621.jpeg

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWHe  nice job on that, I  also have a  82-c85 , bought it new in 82, coming on 40 years , been kept up and regularly serviced and upgraded . last major was 2 years ago , picked up a solid 12 hp magnum , made the swap , use it as my franken horse  to experiment and trial on ideas . my plastic rear fender is hanging in the shed , went to steel years ago . my 3 horses have the same set up on everything , chassis, bearings, electrical , fuel system , once I  find a problem fix  i change that over to the others , makes for solid dependability, pete 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Throttle cable should be clamped to this arm. That arm can be moved by loosening the brass nut behind guv arm. That's what sets the max rpm. Check that the spring loop is in the slot of the plate with the holes in it. The other holes are for fine tweaking. 

59F6555E-3D0C-4D88-B927-A35B2D6ED621.jpeg.88b1099301f92807e4fcc32d8f88b03a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

7 HP but same difference 

20200101_155001.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@WHX24, agree with your clamping , added a number of cable clamps  to all my cables , and use the silicone SUPER LUBE , for lubricant , rated at -40 , helps keep those cables very easy to use .pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
18 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@WHX24 use the silicone SUPER LUBE , for lubricant , rated at -40 , helps keep those cables very easy to use .pete

Don't know if you know this  Pete but you are the official Red Square lubrication guru. We catch anybody using drain oil for anything other than starting brush piles up we are gonna cuff him and stuff him and hand him over to you. Keep up the good work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@WHX24, agree with your clamping , added a number of cable clamps  to all my cables , and use the silicone SUPER LUBE , for lubricant , rated at -40 , helps keep those cables very easy to use .pete

1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Pete ... you are the official Red Square lubrication guru

Might as well ask now.

What is your time-tested (and maybe before now secret) method for rejuvenating rusted wound-wire throttle and choke cables?

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Throttle cable should be clamped to this arm. That arm can be moved by loosening the brass nut behind guv arm. That's what sets the max rpm. Check that the spring loop is in the slot of the plate with the holes in it. The other holes are for fine tweaking. 

59F6555E-3D0C-4D88-B927-A35B2D6ED621.jpeg.88b1099301f92807e4fcc32d8f88b03a.jpeg

3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

7 HP but same difference 

20200101_155001.jpg

I see what you are saying, but when I tighten the arm with the brass nut it prevents the throttle plate (with holes in it) from turning…

Also not sure what you’re referring to when you say the spring loop needs to be in the slot of the hole plate…?

Appreciate the guidance…

peter lena

@Handy Don, hello don , my standard go to for cable rejuvenation , is to never let it go dry in the first place. once you regularly aerosol spray any rusted area , you are feeding the metal what it needs. typically , remove cable hang vertically , start top lube flow , watch for bottom drip to start , attempt movement , once it starts moving , note , rust drip, repeat this cycle. I also add additional cable clamps , so the cable does not flop around in place , available at local h/w store , small pull out drawer section. that super lube is made for this , another thing I do is to add small extension springs , at the end mount point , so there is a constant balance pull point on the cable , my cables are very smooth and work without effort, take the time to look at how its saposed to work , then enhance it to make it better .  when I  came in at 2 am for a maintenance failure , you can bet that I also made modifications  so that problem was gone , good luck , pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

The plate with the holes should be free to rotate around a boss on the brass nut. The arm that the cable attaches to should be pinched UNDER that boss so it can't move. you may have to remove the guv arm to verify all this is correct. 

The spring thingy dealy bob with the hook should be in that bent slotted thingy on the plate with the holes. The other end of the spring should be hooked on the guv arm. You should be able to if that is correct with having to take the arm off. You take the arm off you will need to reset it per the manual. Capiche?!? 

Screenshot 2021-05-19 093140.png

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Not sure what that drive pin #21 is for never really noticed it on any of mine?? I can see it in your pic. 

Screenshot 2021-05-19 094629.png

Edited by WHX24

peter lena

@WHX24, think I  am looking at your cure to the " throw " to the speed control disc, your cable mount is on the OUTER SIDE  of your last cable support giving it more strength and drive to move the stetting , think that is worth a try , by @ SLYVANLAKEWH . your close to vertical cable throw does  not start the speed disc movement, more  of a side thrust will get it going easier,  pete

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH, think I would try to get the most out of a cable thrust or drive , your vertical position , it pushing UP , NOT TO THE SIDE , TO TURN THE DISC , think experimenting with that movement and added lubrication , will let you find your spot, pete 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Well she “works”…

Many thanks to @WHX24 and @peter lena for the help and guidance!!!

Took her around the hood tonight and she runs great!!!

Looks kinda good in the cleaned up garage… but… doesn’t seem to be any room for the better half’s car… hhhmmm… :hide:

Fun project!!!

0E3977EA-3924-49B9-84FC-495FA6C0A5A4.jpeg

77DE387D-8EC5-4208-86DD-8EDAC9849326.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

rjg854

Cars are built to withstand what Mother Nature dish's out. Food for thought :ychain:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

This is true Randy but Silvia's noggin can not withstand what SWMBO's frying pan dishes out.....:lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

rjg854

Then a horse barn is a must. :teasing-neener: 

SWMBO can have the whole garage, that way :techie-eureka:

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH , glad it turned out for you !  thanks for the feed back, , your horses and set up looks good , just ask , pete

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Hub caps… Red, of course…

Details…details…details…

D2F36322-403A-44EF-A237-B12447FCA437.jpeg

80F91059-42DE-4BA9-990B-9FFC9B484F50.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Fender pan looks real sharp Sylvia,:handgestures-thumbupright: Hard to believe that's an orginal. 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
5 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Fender pan looks real sharp Sylvia,:handgestures-thumbupright: Hard to believe that's an orginal. 

:text-thankyouyellow:

It’s definitely a “quilt”… looks good on the top but oh boy is the back a mess… fiberglass, resin, some bolts, braces and more resin…

:tools-hammerdrill:

WHX??

Whoops... let's not show our backsides then shall we?!?! :lol:

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

ERGH,,,

Went for a quick ride on the newly restored C 85 tonight and... She puked oil from behind the cover and died... Small stream of oil mid-way up... :no:...

Me thinks I will be pursuing my dream of an electric rebuild or, HF, or does someone still rebuild these puppies and sell them on here? I recall seeing someone's ad...? :confusion-confused:

Not gonna look right now... Sun's out and I don't wanna ruin a beautiful evening...

JUST... SO... FRUSTRATING... :angry-banghead:

• Sad 1

pfrederi

What cover..The valve cover??