WHW

Why did they do that

WHW

I just recently purchased a wheel horse that I was told was a 1974 raider 10 after doing research on this forum my ID tag says that it is a 1968 raider 9 but the stickers all say raider 10 The Tecumseh engine has got the b code on it which says this it makes it a raider 9 why did they put raider 10 badges on it if it's a raider 9

KIMG0046.JPG

KIMG0048.JPG

KIMG0015.JPG

Edited by WHW
Add pictures
  • Confused 1

stevasaurus

Yes, they did that.  @gwest_ca  This guy has the correct answer.  I know there are some threads on why.

Maxwell-8

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: Got myself a raider 10 too, from 1974 but with a kohler M12 repowered Mine is a 4 speed.

You got yourself in for some fun and something that you will probably keep for years!! 

Edited by Maxwell-8

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  The 1963 953 and 1964 1054 both had 9.6 hp rated engines but their models reflected 9 hp and 10 hp.  The Ponds were frugal and didn’t always do things that make perfect sense some 50+ years later.  

• Confused 1

Stepney

Im seeing woodgrain decals off a hydro tractor on your hood too. Complete with the 1966-67 style cross-out model number tape piece.
Both the 9 and 10 Raider had a 10hp Teccy.. it's an interesting question but honestly Im not sure there is any good answer. 

My 1968 Sears Super 12 had an HH100 10hp like the Raider 10, and my Custom 8 had a 10 Briggs.. no 8 would even fit the mount holes..

WH was horrible about that in some ways too.

I have a Lawn Ranger with a badge that proclaims a 1968 Commando..

stevasaurus

Actually, they did do things that made since.  They were frugal and they used the parts they had on hand to keep putting out horses.  I keep saying, "They were not building Corvettes".  Matching serial numbers and making a different horse every year, just was not in their ball park.  These are garden tractors.  Look at what they did with transmissions...any changes were very subtle.  The length of the axle, the size of the input shaft, where the brake drum was mounted, etc.  The case haves, at least the left side, is pretty much the same part for ever.  So, don't say the things they did, did not make since.  It made perfect since for the time and place to keep being the best in class.  These are the finest examples of American ingenuity there is...out side of Maytag Washers.  Staying competitive is always a tough thing to do...my hat is off to those who made this work for as many years as they did.  Sears was one of the 1st to offer cheaper GT's and mower's and many other things.  They would try to get a Corp. like Skill to offer it's brand under their name...once they had that, they would sell them out and force them to change their advertising to Sears and then cheapen the product.  Skill said "NO!!"  Not many companies could say that.  So, stop playing the Monday night 1/4 back, and look at what was going on at the time.  We all make choices based on what is going on now...it would be nice to now before hand, if we made the right choice.  :eusa-think:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8
24 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Actually, they did do things that made since.  They were frugal and they used the parts they had on hand to keep putting out horses.  I keep saying, "They were not building Corvettes".  Matching serial numbers and making a different horse every year, just was not in their ball park.  These are garden tractors.  Look at what they did with transmissions...any changes were very subtle.  The length of the axle, the size of the input shaft, where the brake drum was mounted, etc.  The case haves, at least the left side, is pretty much the same part for ever.  So, don't say the things they did, did not make since.  It made perfect since for the time and place to keep being the best in class.  These are the finest examples of American ingenuity there is...out side of Maytag Washers.  Staying competitive is always a tough thing to do...my hat is off to those who made this work for as many years as they did.  Sears was one of the 1st to offer cheaper GT's and mower's and many other things.  They would try to get a Corp. like Skill to offer it's brand under their name...once they had that, they would sell them out and force them to change their advertising to Sears and then cheapen the product.  Skill said "NO!!"  Not many companies could say that.  So, stop playing the Monday night 1/4 back, and look at what was going on at the time.  We all make choices based on what is going on now...it would be nice to now before hand, if we made the right choice.  :eusa-think:

It is quite the achievement keeping production of Wheel Horses  up as long as they did. We here in Europe see the same things on Wheel Horses, for sure the ones built in Belgium as parts were ship from the US, so what ever the factory in Oevel  got, they assembled it to make Horses. And it worked.

It reminds me of a rule i like to stick to: KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

I do not know why they changed the hp but it happened fairly early in the 1968 model year production.

The 1968 Raider 9 operator manual is dated August 1, 1967 so they had plenty of time to make changes but would not waste a manual already printed.

The 1968 models were the first to use Tecumseh engines that large.

I started to record the decals used long after this list was started so missed many.

Raider 9 and Charger 9 owners speak up and will add to the lists.

Garry

• Like 1

Howie

That engine model number is HH100 which for everyone else was a 10hp engine.

• Excellent 1

WHW

Thanks to everyone who responded and thanks for the welcomes. This is my 4th Wheel horse I have a 1967 Lawn Ranger, 1969 WorkHorse, mid 80's 200 series and this 1968 Raider and I have found that what has been said here holds true. There are slight differences in tractors of the same models. I thought maybe someone had changed parts on mine but maybe not. I guess to put mine back the way it came from the factory I would have to buy different sticker kits LOL. Thanks for the info on the hood sticker. and thanks for manual downloads.