JCM

Local Campgrounds

JCM

I would assume unless I have missed something on here that the show is still happening this June. Just received my 2nd shot this morning and Patti has had both hers for months so it's time to get serious. We are looking at around an  8 to 10 hour journey from Maine and thinking It may be a good idea to stay in a campground within 1 to 3 hours from the show on Wednesday night. Looks like we will be headed down  I 81 and have found while researching the area there is a campground local to Biglerville called Caledonia State Park in Fayettville, PA. Is anyone familiar with that State park ? If anyone has any recommendations, suggestions or past camping experiences we are all ears. On the other side of the coin so I don't have to do all the driving myself with truck and trailer, a list of nice places to stay as in Motels etc we could take Patti's vehicle and go with that option also.   Thank you all.

squonk

@Ed Kennell  @roadapples any info? 

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

https://www.choicehotels.com/pennsylvania/chambersburg/comfort-inn-hotels/pa785/rates?adults=2&checkInDate=2021-05-03&checkOutDate=2021-05-04&ratePlanCode=SAPR2

A few of us have been staying here (above) during the show.  It is right next to the exit on I 81 a few miles north of Chambersburg.  20 minute, gorgeous ride to the show.

I know Duke has stayed at that State Park for a couple of nights, but then camped at the show on the fair ground camping grounds.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

15 hour drive for us Plunge but this year we will have three drivers again. Guessing the missus is not comfortable with a truck & trailer? When you say stay in a campground are you pulling a camper? Is it an option to pull in a Walmart parking lot and catch some rest? I think that's what @pullstart does but he is leaving on Wednesday or earlier? What kind of vehicle does Patti have and will it be pulling a trailer? 

There are always crap and naps along the way ...you know those little Ma & Pa drive up motels? 

• Like 1

squonk

Many Wal Marts do not allow any overnight parking anymore. Sam is rolling over.

• Sad 3

roadapples

I wouldn't come from that far without a trailer unless @pullstart is packing for the trip home.

Never paid much attention to camp grounds around here, but motels are everywhere. I think Howard and @oldredrider stay at the Blue Sky Motel about 3 mile from the show...

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

@JCM We’ve passed that state park a handful of times now, it looks decent.  @squonk Walmart started to experience unwanted and unwelcomed cities in their lots with people staying long term.  You know those kinds... pushing the envelope a bit too full...  Most of them post that overnight camping is not allowed, but on our trips we call ahead and speak with the manager, simply stating that we are traveling through and just looking for a little shut eye and don’t even need to drop jacks.  They appreciate our call ahead and have never bothered us along with approving our nap time.  In 2019 @dells68 and his crew met us at the Walmart in Chambersburg for a walk across to the ice cream shop.  They were closing but still allowed us to load up on the goods before shutting us out!  There was plenty of riff raff around us that night, it seemed we were the infield of some drifting competition we didn’t get the invite to.

As for us, we’ll plan to leave Tuesday afternoon when Mrs. P is done working, then we’ll drive until we are tired then finish the trek on Wednesday.  Gotta get to that Italian restaurant ya know!

• Thanks 1

JCM

@WHX24  Patti's vehicle is a GMC  acadia with the tow package 4000 lb. It has the OEM  wiring for the brake controller but none installed yet. She did haul a pop-up 16 years ago locally with a Ford Explorer but my truck with the cargo trailer might be a bit much for her. I think the 2500 HD with trailer are 36', not to bad. I have not road tested her vehicle with the trailer yet.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Campground Details - CALEDONIA STATE PARK, PA - Pennsylvania State Parks (reserveamerica.com)

I never camped there, but I can tell you it has  one of the coldest spring fed pools around.      Nice half hour drive through the orchards  to the show

Lacawanna and Francis Slocum State parks are near 81 about 2-3 hours from the show.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

How many tractors you figure on bringing Plunge? If only one or maybe two I would think her rig can handle it. 

34 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I wouldn't come from that far without a trailer unless @pullstart is packing for the trip home.

Lol thinking he means to pull an enclosed with her car Apples!

How many tractors you figure on bringing Plunge? If only one or maybe two I would think her rig can handle it. Controller is an half hour job if it's prewired. Might do better with the 2500 tho. Specially if there is some big hills in route.  How big is the trailer 12-14 ft tandem? 

• Like 1

Pullstart
51 minutes ago, JCM said:

@WHX24  Patti's vehicle is a GMC  acadia with the tow package 4000 lb. It has the OEM  wiring for the brake controller but none installed yet. She did haul a pop-up 16 years ago locally with a Ford Explorer but my truck with the cargo trailer might be a bit much for her. I think the 2500 HD with trailer are 36', not to bad. I have not road tested her vehicle with the trailer yet.

the longer, the better for road manners :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ACman

I’ve stayed at the holiday Inn express in Shippensburg (next exit up from Chambersburg) and on the way into the fair grounds we pass a campground. Pine Ridge campground https://staypineridge.com . It’s 11mins. to the fairgrounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Jimbo, not planning on bringing any tractors   :hide:   for a few reasons. First we are planning a mini vacation with this trip and need the space and not have to remove the tractors off and on. Second I use all of my tractors 12 months a year and get a lot of enjoyment and work out of them and have enjoyed WH's for 32 years continuously. Third I would like to enjoy everyone else's tractors and can only image what I may see. Fourth I may need the room for parts. And Fifth , can't believe I am typing this, in case I see something RED with 4 tires that I can't leave there without.  The cargo trailer is very short, single axle measures 16' from rear door to front coupler, more of a pain to back up than anything, almost like my snowmobile trailer used to be. @WHX24

• Like 3

WHX??
4 hours ago, JCM said:

not planning on bringing any tractors

Yah that might be borderline sacrilegious  Plunge you need to rethink! You gotta have a ride around unless you plan to score real quick. I isn't talking with the missus either ... :lol: Granted you are gonna get some seat time on @Achto's diesel or another fine ride...Maybe even Cindy's flame  but still..... No worry there will be plenty of seat time on a choice  tractor if you don't bring one. 

My rookie year I came real prepared for the mini vaca that the she required. Lookit the crap I hauled out. Worth the weight tho and some great memories. 

20160623_151314.jpg

20160626_164051.jpg

• Excellent 4

WHX??

Here's where we stayed the week after the BS Plunge.

Family Camping in South Central Pennsylvania | Paradise Stream Family Campground (campparadisestream.com)

We rented one of those little love shacks you are fond of. :beer:

Went for day rides and saw all the nice things the area has to offer. Gettysburg & a place where they make lots of chocolate!!! Had both saddle bags packed with that stuff! Wonderful mountain roads best viewed from a motor scooter! 

• Excellent 1

JCM

Well Jimbo, I absolutely love that pic of the Mrs sitting on the porch of that awesome cabin with all your toys parked out front, almost looks like you guys live there year round. An added feature along with the pic would have been a video of you dressed as Walter Brennan from the Real McCoys coming out of the cabin dressed, walking and talking like him for a real good laugh. :ROTF:@WHX24     Oh, you did bring some stuff with you to the show in that cargo trailer.

• Haha 1

WHX??
11 minutes ago, JCM said:

Oh, you did bring some stuff with you to the show in that cargo trailer.

Not that year no... that was my rookie year I knew no better.  :)

Year after tho we was loaded for bear! 

C92D22F5-12CB-405E-A0D1-85AF8AA5803A.jpeg.2a45cb7a024527686aaab1c23039aef6.jpeg

20180621_154656.jpg

IMG_6556_JPG_bbbf293f96a099afd7b9c606176b70d6.jpg

• Excellent 3

Pullstart

Shorts and boots!

• Haha 1