chev0545

axle key

chev0545

have a hub that i can't get off.what's a good puller? got the hub off now the key is stuck.any ideas?

thanks

953 nut

I have had good luck gripping the key with vice-grips and then tapping the pliers with a hammer. If that won't work you may want to use a dermal cut-off wheel to cut the key lengthwise.  

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

I can usually get a flat blade under the pointy end of the key and lightly tap tap tap and the key pops out.  

When you put the hub back on you need to torque those setscrews to 30 lb.  You can NOT get them tight enough with an open end wrench, they will loosen and you'll have deeper problems.  You'll need an 8 point socket. (presuming your hub has square head setscrews)

Do your hubs have one, or two setscrews?

@chev0545

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

dermal cut-off wheel

Best to keep that cut off wheel away from your dermis though! :ychain:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine

Loosening anything that's "rust welded" is a matter of patience. 

It took a long time to get that way and it won't come out easily sometimes. 

I've been known to use a hammer to tap on each end of a half moon shaped key to rock it in the key way. 

Also have done Jeff's method. 

To tighten a cup type set screw I learned awhile back:

Tighten, loosen. Repeat 3 times. On the 3rd tightening you'll notice the wrench or ratchet has gone a little further. 

The cup has set into the flat a little more which I find decreases the likelihood of it loosening. 

Oh. And. Use NEW set screws. They are a wear out item. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

A good pair of side cutters. Lay the jaws flat on the axle, pinch the key, and pry up. Usually works every time.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Because Woodruff keys are readily available, I don't mind destroying them to get them out. I usually will spray a little PB Blaster on it, let it sit for awhile, then tap the end closest to the transmission housing with a hammer. That way, the end closest to outside should raise up. If it doesn't come out, then a big flat screwdriver or chisel driven by a hammer should finish the job. :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Use NEW set screws. They are a wear out item. 

100% agree!  That 'cup' on the end of the screw is supposed to 'bite'.  After it's been used, it's now smoothed over and can no longer bite.  And they're cheap.

I'll add this:  If the key falls out on it's own, buy a new one.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

peter lena

@chev0545, with the hub off, a  small flat faced punch , just fitting into the key slot , with penetrating oil soaking , and a 2 lb hammer should easily slide that out , as it picks up the slide, pete

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have tried all the methods mentioned above.  Sometimes they work some they do not.  Sure one is 953Nut's second choice Lengthwise dremel cut and collapse it with a chisel.  That has never failed.

• Like 3