Wellingtontx

Rebuild WH 5091 8 speed - anybody rebuild ?

WHX??
1 hour ago, Wellingtontx said:

I have my work cut out for me.

No you really don't ... I would have that thing put together inside of an hour if everything was cleaned. I would do it for free if you wanted to bear the cost of shipping. Thats kinda a deal breaker for you tho. Still we can help walk you through it with the help of The Dino's vids.  All bearings and seals  if needed can be had here.

Reproduction Tractor Parts, Medford, MN (wheelhorsepartsandmore.com)

Lowell's a straight shooter ... most of the time but lookout for his missus she can be a fist full! :lol:

BTW Thank you for becoming a supporter this means pics can be endless on your end  and that will help us help you.

I have a new handle for you... gonna call you Beef..... as in beef wellington! :ychain: 

For inspiration I restoed this one and another just like it that was worse. 

20181104_180754.jpg

20200907_172242.jpg

20210314_170544.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Maxwell-8
13 hours ago, Oldskool said:

20210428_122550.jpg

12 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Someone was an aspiring puller! 

Or a shaft bearing letting loose. I took a bull gear apart after the outer axle bearings failed. Found one roller in the diff.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It would be much better if we were to look at pictures of gears and shafts that are clean to be able to judge them.  Just so you know, new gears (if available) are extremely expensive.  That cluster gear (one with 3 different gears) is around $300 new...used is around  $20.. Those shift rails (the shafts with the flat side) are supposed to be like that.  The flat side eliminates the suction that was created by the oil when one shifted gears.  Those rails are just fine.  You need to unbolt the differential and clean all that is in there also.  We will want to see pictures of those pinions (8) and the (2) axle gears.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Wellingtontx

WHX24 - Thanks for the inspiration.  My parts bucket doesnt look as bad as the one depicted.

I am going to try to "rough" it back together this weekend to make sure that I have all of the parts and that I can figure out on at least a small scale, how the thing goes back together.  Everyone seems to think it is a breeze, lol, but when you did not start with it together it seems larger than life.  However, everyone on here has been so great and inspiring, I am going to give it a shot.  

Once I figure out if I have everything, I will start the cleaning process.  From what everyone is saying, I anticipate that it will take me 5 times as long to get the parts cleaned and polished than it does to put it together - I certainly hope so.

I am super excited to give it a shot and start the process of getting the unit back mechanically.  Once I am sure everything works mechanically, I can then start the cosmetics.

I also have a Wheel Horse Tiller that is next after the tractor....

• Like 2

Wellingtontx

Steve I will make that a priority - pinion and axle gears.

I cannot thank everyone enough for their help.

Pics to follow of those 

Edited by Wellingtontx

stevasaurus

I know Jim wants to call you Beef...I think Duke is a better name...no reason why, 4 letters, but WellintonTX is hard for us to type.  Hope that is OK with you.  For somebody that wanted to ship this out to have it put together, you sure are in a hurry to do it yourself.  If you are just going to practice, fine.  I would clean the parts before you practice, show us the pictures, you need to change out the seals (4) and gasket #3912 from TORO or Lowell before you get serious about putting it together.  Sorry, just feel like we are not on the same plane.  If you do not need help...that's OK.  If you have any questions, that's OK also.  :occasion-xmas:  

• Like 1

Wellingtontx

Steve - I am certainly going to take my time putting it together and absolutely want and need everyone's help.  However, I am not positive that my little box of parts has everything.  I have watched your assembly videos and looked at the manual a bunch.  I will start the cleaning process of parts tonight. 

I have ordered seals this afternoon as well as some thrust washers, 3 detent balls (3-41) and spring (3-42) from Toro as I did not see them in my box.  Gasket has been ordered as well. 

The gentlemen that I obtained the tractor from tried to rebuild because it would not go into 2nd or 3rd gear.  He said that the bearings - except the large axle bearing (3-11) was replaced - but then it sat unassembled.  Would I save myself some heartache if I replaced the 2nd/3rd gear (I believe it is part 3-46 in the manual) if it is questionable in your mind, then I can do so. 

My thought on a "practice" run was essentially to make sure that I have everything before I am at the point of putting it all together.  

Wellingtontx

Steve - in your video when installing the cluster gear shaft, it requires a woodruff key to install what I think you called a reduction gear.  Longshot - but any idea what size the Woodruff Key is ?  It is missing as well.  Does it just have to be the same length as the slot on the cluster gear shaft ?  

oliver2-44

The parts list calls for a #9 woodruff key (which is 3/16 x 3/4) ck if that about the right size

Also before you disassembly you differential mark the parts R & L and which side the assembly bolts nuts do on.    

• Like 1

Wellingtontx
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The parts list calls for a #9 woodruff key (which is 3/16 x 3/4) ck if that about the right size

Also before you disassembly you differential mark the parts R & L and which side the assembly bolts nuts do on.    

Thanks for woodruff key info.

I will def. mark diff. before taking it apart.

stevasaurus

The main reason to clean parts before putting together, it will keep that dirt or sand out of your bearings.

If you lay out all of your parts like this, I can tell you what you have and also what you need.

2010_0416trans50850012.JPG

• Like 3

WHX??
7 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If you lay out all of your parts like this, I can tell you what you have and also what you need.

:text-yeahthat:Very good idea... 

Just gotta like that pic Dino... does show you how few a pieces there are in one! 

• Thanks 1

Wellingtontx

That inventory pic of everything laid out is beautiful.  Exactly what I needed.

Thanks times a million.

Duke

------

I have to add that seeing everything together doesn't seem near as intimidating.  LOL.

I will take an all parts together pic tonight similar to the one above so everyone can look over my inventory of parts.   The one piece I cannot recall seeing is that little shaft above the reverse idler gear - it may be in the bucket and I just did not know it was part of the transmission as the parts bucket I was given had nuts and bolts from things other than the tractor.  Stay tuned.

Edited by Wellingtontx
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Just know that the above picture is of a 4 speed transmission.  You'll have 8 pinions in the differential and the hi/low mechanism and another fork gear.  Just a couple more parts.  Include pictures of the inside of your case halves also.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Wellingtontx

7117588E-FCE6-475E-88DD-0613E6ACB17F.jpeg

• Like 1

Wellingtontx

E053F124-DC7F-45F1-AA6A-432F31976744.jpeg

06D09136-BDE0-42F1-9CB6-241159D50946.jpeg

Wellingtontx

5E9F6687-B433-44C6-A626-A3CC2454593C.jpeg

DAA0475B-8EA5-46E7-A667-2AE96402A04F.jpeg

Wellingtontx

1ABA0F53-F959-448E-9E0E-D4D20C59A071.jpeg

3433DC71-2C4B-4698-B306-FFF134EF6DE6.jpeg

• Like 1

Wellingtontx

57B5F959-7FBA-4796-9152-6E45EA0AB554.jpeg

818E534D-58B8-41B8-B1DD-9C911837B98B.jpeg

DFF8EC5E-DE42-4F47-B09C-F796596D3C87.jpeg

• Like 2

Wellingtontx

A couple of notes after collection of the parts and final disassembly.

The input shaft had some slop in it before I took it apart - could that be the bearing or seal - best way to fix or is that normal.  

No detent balls, spring or that little rod (I ordered new balls and a spring).  

The large axle bearings in the case - how do you get them out ?  I think I should replace them - thoughts ? 

Wellingtontx

Couple more notes - when I did the final disassembly on case found a Woodruff Key laying in case.  Finally when I took Diff apart one of the E Clips for the axle was laying loose in diff case.  Don’t know how that didn’t cause an issue.  Did not see any damage.  

• Like 1

kpinnc

Just my opinion on a couple of your questions:

Sloppy input shaft- likely bearings, but check the input shaft itself for wear. 

Main axle bearings- they are hard to find and about $60 each. If they are smooth and still tight, they are probably fine. Use a differential endcap to check them for play and a snug fit.

Axle C-clip- check the splines on both axles for a square clip groove. I have seen the splines get literally torn off the end of the axle from a large lateral load. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

@Wellingtontx I'm not sure if you saw this in the videos or any pics or if you are aware.  There is a spring and detent ball in this piece. (Red arrow)if you take the bolt out of the hi/lo shift fork to clean it.

You may find the hardest part of putting things together is getting those detent balls in place.

20210501_091623.jpg

• Like 2

Wellingtontx

Oldskool - was not aware of spring or detent ball in bolt.  Thanks for heads-up

• Like 1