Geoff Cornwall

New to Red Square

Geoff Cornwall

Hello all , im new to the site and thought id say hello . My name is Geoff and im from the uk . I have been trying to buy a wheel horse for some time , and thought i would post a few pictures of my new purchase . I have been trying to identify the model and year of manufacture without much luck and was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction . Over the coming months I hope to sort a few issues with the transmission , it wont select 3rd gear . The 8 horse kohler engine seems to be good , starts easilly ,and runs without issue . No doubt there are other things i will need help with in the future . Geoff . 

349C431C-55AB-4345-BE5E-DC7B9255D464.jpeg

DE91C7C4-3E40-40E8-B2E7-3E67776AEA13.jpeg

243972E6-DF2C-48A4-9ECB-3F00706D758E.jpeg

509524EB-4EB3-4827-BB00-8FCF644646B3.jpeg

94ADF8EC-77E7-438C-8726-6643BB00FA01.jpeg

DF783769-10D9-44B5-80FB-C3D81FDD9F8A.jpeg

D3CA4FBC-46B9-4466-BD67-9EA7F573815B.jpeg

E55FDBC4-618E-4CBE-90F0-430EF9BABC8A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

squonk

:text-welcomeconfetti:  @Stormin looks like you got another countyman in the mix! :banana-linedance:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Pullstart

This might be a Commando 800 based on this post:  https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/22422-information-on-horses-built-in-belgium/?do=findComment&comment=232458

My daughter has one that’s been slightly modified.  They are good runners!  Hopefully you can sort out the transmission issue fairly easily.  I’d suggest draining it and filling it with diesel fuel or kerosene then running it through all the gears you can... drain, repeat until it frees up some.  Lifting the front end as high as possible will ensure the transmission drains completely as there is a hump in the center of the case.

5B82B82D-51B7-49CB-8937-78818C60A88F.jpeg

Stormin

Welcome to Red Square Geoff. You'll get plenty of help here. :handgestures-thumbup:

Geoff Cornwall

Thank you all for the reply's , i have been looking around the site for a week or two , some really good information to be found , excellent clips for rebuilding transmissions etc , ive wanted one for years ! But time passes and budgets are tight , was lucky to find this one on the dreaded bay and won it , was a fiver short of my limit ! Am looking forward to sorting the issues with the great help available here . Geoff

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Suspect these are considered medium frame models with 43-1/2" wheelbase

1974 Commando 800 model 1-0140
Serial numbers that have shown up for the 1-0140
0134631 - Made in Belgium - Located in France
0136814 - Made in Belgium

1974 Commando 800 model 1-0143 - no info available

Serial numbers that have shown up for the 1-0143

0136750 - Made in Belgium

0136772 - Made in Belgium - Located in UK with recoil start using Kohler K181T-30584d Serial 5274331 made in 1973

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti: to  :rs:

Achto

:WRS:

If the transmission will not stay in 3rd gear, I fear that your gear may be bad. Part # 3523. These are no longer available from Toro but there is a member here that reproduced them.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/3523-3rd-gear/

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Mickwhitt

Hi Geoff. 

Im in South Yorkshire and run a C-125 as a trailer tug and general fun project.

There are a few of us over here so you won't feel lonely lol.

Red Square is a fantastic resource and a great forum to chat about anything whether its tractor related or not. 

Your new machine looks good, you have options from just sorting the obvious issues to a tear down restoration.

I chose the tear down, ground up, expensive option but I'm so glad I did. The renovation was as much about learning about the tractor and having a stimulating project to work on as it was about the finished product. If you have a job for yours immediately then quick fixes are fine. But if its a hobby thing, clear some room, print off the manuals and get stuck in.

Always come back here with questions or problems, there is always help on hand despite the time difference and language barrier :hide:

Best regards Mick 

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:  @Geoff Cornwall  like so many others have said, any help you need can be found here.