WheelHorse520H

Starter Trouble

WheelHorse520H
On 7/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, Handy Don said:

Drill press helps you keep the drill going in straight. It is possible to do freehand with a regular drill, and I'm sure many people can. I have too often broken bits or not followed the centerline of the bolt so I look for mechanical aids!

Okay, I will look for a cheap drill press because there have been a few times that it would have been handy.

WheelHorse520H
On 7/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, Handy Don said:

Drill press helps you keep the drill going in straight. It is possible to do freehand with a regular drill, and I'm sure many people can. I have too often broken bits or not followed the centerline of the bolt so I look for mechanical aids!

So instead of a drill press I found This at a hardware store down the street, I think it would work well and be cheaper and I get that mechanical aid.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

So instead of a drill press I found This at a hardware store down the street, I think it would work well and be cheaper and I get that mechanical aid.

Any drill press will not force a drill bit to go straight if the surface where the drill starts is less that perfect.  The $47 guide that you linked to will do little to help with the part that only costs $25 to replace.

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Any drill press will not force a drill bit to go straight if the surface where the drill starts is less that perfect.  The $47 guide that you linked to will do little to help with the part that only costs $25 to replace.

That’s true, I honestly forgot you mentions the cone on eBay. I think This looks okay, but a second opinion is always good. Thoughts?

Andrew

lynnmor
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

That’s true, I honestly forgot you mentions the cone on eBay. I think This looks okay, but a second opinion is always good. Thoughts?

Andrew

You should go to eBay and see if it is listed there, I don’t trust third party deals.  The part should be correct, Joe is OK.  Compare the mounting hole locations to the solenoid on your old one.

WheelHorse520H

You should go to eBay and see if it is listed there, I don’t trust third party deals.

Got it, it said on Google that it was on eBay. I will just go to eBay and search it there.

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

Agree with all the above. As cool as it is to have a drill press, this job alone wouldn't justify acquiring one. I have and regularly use the device in your hardware store link when I cannot get a large item into the drill press (walls, floors, cabinetry). Know that when used appropriately it is usually more accurate than hand held but it demands that it be solidly braced in relation to the workpiece--if it moves (or the workpiece does), its value is gone. I usually clamp it somehow.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Got it, it said on Google that it was on eBay. I will just go to eBay and search it there.

Found it on eBay here, just want thoughts before I buy it. I have been warned about eBay not working out for people because the item was not like it was shown or described and I want to make sure that this is a trusted seller. Thanks again everyone,

Andrew

lynnmor
41 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Found it on eBay here, just want thoughts before I buy it. I have been warned about eBay not working out for people because the item was not like it was shown or described and I want to make sure that this is a trusted seller. Thanks again everyone,

Andrew

That is the same one you showed on the other site, and from the same seller.  As said before, compare the mounting holes and solenoid, then buy I it.  I have bought hundreds of items on eBay with little problem.  Joe will not be a problem as I suggested earlier.

WheelHorse520H
16 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That is the same one you showed on the other site, and from the same seller.  As said before, compare the mounting holes and solenoid, then buy I it.  I have bought hundreds of items on eBay with little problem.  Joe will not be a problem as I suggested earlier.

Thanks again, just wanted to be sure. The bolt holes are in the correct pattern, I learned that when I bought the import, the first one I bought the piggyback was 90 degrees off so it hung underneath the mounting bolts not in front of.

Edited by WheelHorse520H

WheelHorse520H

Ordered the starter cone from eBay today, should be here in 2 weeks, thanks for the help everyone I plan to keep the old cone as a backup maybe I can take the stud out with a drill press later on down the road. I will keep everyone posted.

Andrew

Thor27

I'm a little late to the party, but I think a mig welder and a nut would take that bolt out pretty easily

WheelHorse520H
4 hours ago, Thor27 said:

but I think a mig

I wish I had one.

The starter cone hasn’t showed up yet, it was supposed to be here Monday. Just an update.

tom2p
On 7/19/2021 at 7:31 PM, lynnmor said:

I've also gotten some parts from Joe - first rate seller 

WheelHorse520H

Okay, the money for the starter cone was refunded so we drilled out the old one and had only minor thread damage. Put the engine all back together after the surging issue maintenance was completed. Now it doesn’t grind which is a huge plus but the starter sputters and only works occasionally. Video below. I have no idea what is happening, it sounds like a loose connection that I will check tomorrow, but any other ideas/leads would be helpful. Thanks.

Edited by WheelHorse520H

WheelHorse520H

I realized that the battery was at 12.24 volts so I will charge it today to see if that helps.

lynnmor
3 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I realized that the battery was at 12.24 volts so I will charge it today to see if that helps.

That starter sounds awful, hopefully the charged battery will better pull it into engagement, but it still sounds like a mechanical issue with the gears.

WheelHorse520H

That starter sounds awful, hopefully the charged battery will better pull it into engagement, but it still sounds like a mechanical issue with the gears.

Nope my multimeter was bad, it said the battery was at 12.2v but it was only 11.2v. Charged it for a couple hours this morning and it seems to work great, no grinding or anything thanks for all the help. I’ll send a video later. Having trouble getting it to start but that’s the surging/hunting thread.

Edited by WheelHorse520H