clueless

8sp vs 6sp?

clueless

What's the difference in the 8sp and the 6sp? Yes Mike I know it's 2.

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Chris,  6 speeds were earlier, equipped with limited slip diffs.  The brake drum is on a different shaft than 8 speeds, it’s in the same spot as 3 speeds.  Typically, a 6 speed has a 1/2xclose nipple and 1/2 coupler on the fill to hold an additional 1/2 quart of oil.

• Like 3

squonk
19 minutes ago, clueless said:

What's the difference in the 8sp and the 6sp? Yes Mike I know it's 2.

354107241avatar.gif.8aa3b1e764302ba6ce745acc0cd2c2ef.gif454107241avatar.gif.1d94a3c854f597c879e4e1c43b3f9248.gif:hilarious:Hi Chris! @stevasaurus knows the technical stuff. I can just count! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

stevasaurus

@clueless  Chris, it is all about the shaft that the brake drum is mounted on.  6 speeds, drum is on the 11/44 tooth gear.  8 speeds, drum is on the cluster gear shaft.  

While it is true that the 6 speeds are all 10 pinion Limited Slip differentials.  Some of the 8 speeds are 10 pinion LS differentials also.  The 8 speeds can also be 8 pinion 1 1/8" axles, or 4 pinion with 1" axles.  :occasion-xmas:  We are only talking Wheel Horse transmissions here...not Peerless, Foote or Eaton.

• Thanks 1

squonk

You got that Chris?  (I've ben working on my Guzinta's all week!) 

• Like 1

cafoose
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

While it is true that the 6 speeds are all 10 pinion Limited Slip differentials. 

Curiously, could I put a 10 pinion Limited Slip 1" axles in my 876 hydro? :occasion-xmas:

stevasaurus

No...10 pinion LS comes with 1 1/8" axles only.

IF...the axle gear from 1" axles is the same outside gear as an axle gear from 1 1/8" axles, it could mesh perfectly with a 10 pinion LS differential.  It would then be possible to switch them out.???  I better say, it would be worth a try.  :USA:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

No...10 pinion LS comes with 1 1/8" axles only.

IF...the axle gear from 1" axles is the same outside gear as an axle gear from 1 1/8" axles, it could mesh perfectly with a 10 pinion LS differential.  It would then be possible to switch them out.???  I better say, it would be worth a try.  :USA:

Could you check the part numbers and see if it's possible to do that? Also let me know what parts it would take to do that? I sure would appreciate it and I'm sure others would be interested too! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, cafoose said:

Could you check the part numbers and see if it's possible to do that? Also let me know what parts it would take to do that? I sure would appreciate it and I'm sure others would be interested too! :occasion-xmas:

..Measure the outer diameter of you axles across the splines.  If it 1-1/8"  you can do it.  If not then it isn't possible.  the axle gears for 10 pinion have different external teeth than any other.

IMG_0163.JPG

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

It's not a question of part numbers.  The 1" axle and axle gear have to mesh with the 10 pinions just like an 1 1/8" axle and axle gear would.  You still need the differential that is 10 pinion, and that differential has to be the same length as to fit into the #1533 ball bearings so you can close the case.  Part numbers will not help.  You need the 10 pinion differential and the 1" axles with their axle gears to find out...and a case that has all the stuff for 1" axles.  If somebody out there has both 1" and 1 1/8" axle gears sitting on a bench, they can tell you if the out side of both gears is the same...diameter and number of teeth.  If not, game over.  :orcs-cheers:

Paul, is that gear from a 10 pinion differential???

• Like 2

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It's not a question or part numbers.  The 1" axle and axle gear have to mesh with the 10 pinions just like an 1 1/8" axle and axle gear would.  You still need the differential that is 10 pinion, and that differential has to be the same length as to fit into the #1533 ball bearings so you can close the case.  Part numbers will not help.  You need the 10 pinion differential and the 1" axles with their axle gears to find out...and a case that has all the stuff for 1" axles.  If somebody out there has both 1" and 1 1/8" axle gears sitting on a bench, they can tell you if the out side of both gears is the same...diameter and number of teeth.  If not, game over.  :orcs-cheers:

Steve remember the axle gears in a 10 pinion have different teeth than the axle gears used in other differentials. 

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

Paul, I never had the opportunity to compare them that way.  I may have some pictures, but I would not be able to measure...just count teeth...maybe.  :occasion-xmas:

It would be easier to change out the whole unit if could find it.  Quite a few hydros and 10 pinion LS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Paul, I never had the opportunity to compare them that way.  I may have some pictures, but I would not be able to measure...just count teeth...maybe.  :occasion-xmas:

It would be easier to change out the whole unit if could find it.  Quite a few hydros and 10 pinion LS.

The square tooth is 10 pinion  the pointy teeth 8 pinion.   25 teeth (10 pinion)  vs 24  In addition to tooth shape outer diameter is slightly different 2.244 10  2.156   8

IMG_0166.JPG

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I saw they were different part numbers...  I agree, it will not work with parts we have.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1