Raposo

Where to wire kill switch on Magnum 12

Raposo

Hey guys, I am entering my first puller on Sunday and I have everything just about done except for the kill switch. I am using a trailer breakaway switch, anyone have any idea how/what to wire it to?

gwest_ca

Sounds like an expensive and complicated way to do it. Trailer break-away switches apply power to the electric brakes when a failure occurs.

You do not want any power being applied to the magneto ignition. That will permanently stop it.

The switches for most power sports applications with a tether should work as most have electronic or magneto ignitions. Depending on the tractor model you may be able to connect to one of the seat safety switch terminals/wires and a chassis ground and be done with it.

I am guessing here because have not worked on either system.

Garry

gwest_ca

I don't know if they are available with both normally open (NO) and normally closed (NC) contacts.

You need one that is closed when the lanyard is pulled off of it making it a NC type.

I suspect the cap on the lanyard pushes the button on the switch which opens the contacts and holds it in until the cap is pulled off - button pops out switch closes and kills motor.

https://www.google.ca/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=kill+switch+with+tether&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD3Lej8oLwAhURGFkFHZcvD2sQjJkEegQIIBAB&biw=1680&bih=939

Garry

JAinVA

Most trailer breakaway switches are normally open until the lanyard is pulled. Kill switch circuits for the M 12 are as well. White wire from under the engine shroud to ground kills the engine.

Edited by JAinVA