unkker

Drive belt replacement issue

unkker
On 4/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, peter lena said:

unkker, glad you made out, I regularly  change things up to correct a failure and turn it into an improvement , have 3 horses and verify any change I  make , then add it to the other 2 . try to have bombproof stuff , could be over kill , but it consistently works , have that pulley set up on all 3 , solid , smooth and silent , keep in touch , pete

Pete,

It's amazing how with the proper parts, equipment works like they're supposed to. I found out who re-powered this unit for the previous owner, come to find out, it was a Toro dealer. He remembered the machine, saying it was a pain to do. I asked about the pulley, his comment was "It was re-powered correctly with spec'd parts". I heard that, thinking.. yeah, spec'd as in that's the pulley that was on the 18hp motor being changed used to re-power, so use it!  :eusa-think:   Just goes to show ya, people, business's do things just to get by.

Thanks to yours,  and others insight, I'm back in business.

Correct_pulley.jpg

peter lena

unkker , glad you made out , when you are starting your  maintenance refresh, another thing I do is to lubricate any oil starved movement point, initially you get a rusty run out , that's telling you it got to the usage point ,regularly add that to your service. I know that I  harp on it , but movement points should not be rusty , they should be oily . seen linkages that barely move with rust , really ? glad you are on your way , ask away , pete  

unkker

Hey Guys,

In need of additional help here. From when I re-powered my Horse last fall, I had no problems with the mower deck belt. I had the one on it since re-power come apart. I put a Gates on it, It came apart within a week as shown in pic below, I'm wondering if in fact it was bad from the start. Also 90% of the belt which came apart in a week is showing no wear. I checked, there is no edge or anything the belt could have caught on to tear it apart like it did.

All pulleys are free spinning, clean with no rough spots or edges. I've also enclosed a pic of a new belt on, showing front idler. I see the angle of the new belt coming off the pto to front idler, however, the new engine was aligned with old so drive belt was straight.

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks in advance

Belt torn apart.jpg

Belt aligment.jpg