The Tuul Crib

Lets hear about your experiences with US PS delivery!

squonk

@Shynon is sending me a package. Too bad a video camera couldn't be put on it so we could live stream it's voyage! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

Ed you could have driven there, slipped the card under the door and gone an gotten an ice cream cone and come out ahead! :icecream:

I did deliver the card but had a coffee...no ice cream.

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib
31 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I know you knew better than to click a link in an unknown email but many people are driven by curiosity.

It needs to be repeated ... NEVER click on a link in an email from an unknown sender!

Curiosity killed the computer!

Oh heck no !! 
it was soon deleted after I received it! I have been having a ton of Robo calls lately which I don't answer either!

Pullstart
3 hours ago, squonk said:

@Shynon is sending me a package. Too bad a video camera couldn't be put on it so we could live stream it's voyage! :occasion-xmas:

I bet if it had a GPS tracker, it would get dizzy from the turns arounds...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

Two weeks ago I ordered a set of new mower blades from Jack's Small Engines in Jarrettsville, MD. I've purchased from them before and have had good results. Unfortunately Jack's uses USPS for items such as this. I still haven't received them. I did call Jack's after one week when it still showed "label created." They were familiar with the problem and the fellow from Jack's told me to give it another week before they would put a trace on it. There have only been three updates on the USPS website: the first was the label had been created, second it was at a distribution center in South Carolina (south of me!), and third on its way to another center. The updates have been so ambiguous!

My problem is with Jack's Small Engines. If they have had problems like this before, why do they continue to use USPS for package delivery? I'll pay for UPS or FedEx delivery. I actually prefer FedEx as they don't hand off to USPS for the final mile like Brown sometime does. The UPS-to-USPS handoff actually adds an additional day!.

More about how USPS operates.

In 2006, Congress passed a law to require the USPS to prefund 75 years worth of retiree health benefits in the span of ten years—a cost of approximately $110 billion. Although the money is intended to be set aside for future Post Office retirees, the funds are instead being diverted to help pay down the national debt.

DeJoy's changes need to go!

• Sad 1

shallowwatersailor

USPS must have heard me complaining! They just go delivered!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

krystolo

Five stars for USPS!  On-time delivery!

Check out that paint on the spindle.  Like new!

Thank you, @pullstart!

1035463946_JPEGimage.jpeg.bd1b6e5863f55d5855b32cb5c718e86e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

My problem is with Jack's Small Engines

It is, but for another reason... in my opinion.

6 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

after one week when it still showed "label created."

That's because no matter what the USPS tells you, they often do NOT scan the items at every way point.  Case in point:

I ordered some tires from Amazon.  They were supposed to be delivered on such and such a date.  For some odd reason, they chose to use USPS for these tires (they were fronts, smallish).  Amazon reported that they shipped.  The tracking showed "label created" for like a week and a half.  No tires.  I complained and re-ordered.  The SECOND order showed them moving through the system just fine, but it wasn't USPS, it was UPS.  I got the second order and continued to watch the tracking on USPS.  No updates.  TWO DAYS AFTER the second order was here, lo and behold, the FIRST ORDER showed up.  The tracking went from "label created" to "delivered" with NOTHING in between!

Now... I have had the SAME ISSUE with UPS!  Exactly the same.  One was with an order from K & B I believe.  UPS tracking showed label created, and NO UPDATES until they were "Out for delivery", and then of course the same day, "delivered".

I can't recall this issue with FedEx though, but I don't really get many shipments from them.  My wife orders Kitty Litter on line from WalMart and that DOES come FedEx and has always been here on time, but I've never had to track anything so I don't know about them.

Soooo, back to Jack's.  I've been ordering from them for over a decade, perhaps even two.  Up until about 2 years ago if their website said an item was in stock, it WAS.  Last year I ordered a set of blades from them.  Website said "in stock".  A day after I placed the order I get an email that says...  "not in stock" and they were waiting on the item from a distributor.  No problem, I can wait.  And wait I did!  I think it took a month or more.  THAT was on them.

A couple weeks ago I ordered an idler pulley from them.  Again, website said "in stock".  Same deal...  got an email that said "not in stock".  Due from distributor on such and such a day.  OK, no problem, I can wait.  Then, I checked a couple days after they expected the part and now it says "extended delay from distributor" or some such.  I canceled the order and won't order from them again.  

I believe they no longer stock items that are not big movers like they used to.  It seems that they are only a middle man now.  You order, they order, and some day you will get your parts.

That idler pulley I needed?  I got in the car and drove to a Toro dealer 16 miles away and was back home with the pulley in under an hour for LESS than Jack's wanted, and of course, NO SHIPPING!

Sayonara Jack's, been nice doing business with ya.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

haydendavid380
On 4/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, shallowwatersailor said:

I actually prefer FedEx as they don't hand off to USPS for the final mile like Brown sometime does. The UPS-to-USPS handoff actually adds an additional day!.

Wanna bet? 

Google FedEx SmartPost. 

With UPS, you as the recipient have the choice to upgrade a UPS Surepost package through "My Choice". Typically it's a $3-$8 charge to keep the post office mitts off it.

haydendavid380
23 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's because no matter what the USPS tells you, they often do NOT scan the items at every way point.  Case in point:

I ordered some tires from Amazon.  They were supposed to be delivered on such and such a date.  For some odd reason, they chose to use USPS for these tires (they were fronts, smallish).  Amazon reported that they shipped.  The tracking showed "label created" for like a week and a half.  No tires.  I complained and re-ordered.  The SECOND order showed them moving through the system just fine, but it wasn't USPS, it was UPS.  I got the second order and continued to watch the tracking on USPS.  No updates.  TWO DAYS AFTER the second order was here, lo and behold, the FIRST ORDER showed up.  The tracking went from "label created" to "delivered" with NOTHING in between!

Now... I have had the SAME ISSUE with UPS!  Exactly the same.  One was with an order from K & B I believe.  UPS tracking showed label created, and NO UPDATES until they were "Out for delivery", and then of course the same day, "delivered".

What is the common link between your two incidents?

Who you bought it from.

Amazon moves a lot of their own stuff. They'll dump it on the day of delivery to the destination facility. Without having a pickup scan, the system won't process the tracking correctly. 

The couriers aren't missing scans, it was never in their system.

Edited by haydendavid380

haydendavid380

Also a side note, the courier company infrastructure isn't designed to handle the current operating volume.

On a typical Christmas season there is about a 60% uptick in volume. This is temporary and planned.

You force everyone to sit at home, close brick and mortar stores, hand out free money to a majority of the populous, and disrupt supply chains and you get an operating volume higher than any Christmas in history. It's not for 6-8 weeks where temporary solutions can overcome the issues, it's 14 months and ongoing. Manufacturing has also been shutdown so you can't get more delivery vehicles or aircraft. You have employees forced the stay home for two weeks if they have as much as a cold. You have increased unemployment benefits so no one wants to work because they can make more money to sit at home. There also also 300 million vaccines being moved by these couriers and those take precedence over everything in the system. There haven't been any service guarantees for over a year on anything not medical/Healthcare.

TLDR- more boxes to deliver than at any point in history and not enough manpower or machines to handle it.

Jeff-C175
37 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

What is the common link between your two incidents?

Who you bought it from.

No, not really.

One was straight up USPS from Amazon.  USPS fumbled the ball.  It was traveling around their system for two weeks with no tracking and showed up miraculously... as though teleported.  

One was straight up UPS from Amazon and this one showed proper tracking the whole distance and was delivered on time.

OK, those two were from Amazon, but...

The order from Brian @ KB was not through Amazon and UPS STILL had issues.

It's not Amazon, it's the carriers.

Edited by Jeff-C175

haydendavid380
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The order from Brian @ KB was not through Amazon and UPS STILL had issues.

What's KB?

Jeff-C175
15 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

more boxes to deliver than at any point in history

Yes... agreed... but while I can't cite them because I don't remember the details, there were problems with my deliveries BEFORE Covid hysteria.

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

What's KB?

K & B Horse parts -- a vendor here.  When he ships you get a PHOTO of the shipment with the tracking number.  You KNOW it shipped.  OK, he doesn't send you a selfie of him standing at the counter handing the box to the clerk... but he's a stand up guy.  If he tells you it has shipped, then it has in fact shipped.

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

K & B Horse parts -- a vendor here.  When he ships you get a PHOTO of the shipment with the tracking number.  You KNOW it shipped.  OK, he doesn't send you a selfie of him standing at the counter handing the box to the clerk... but he's a stand up guy.  If he tells you it has shipped, then it has in fact shipped.

Got some bits from an independent fellow in western PA last year. He texted me a pic of the label as he was dropping it off to confirm my address and let me know when it was leaving. First experience like that and I liked it.

Jeff-C175
Just now, Handy Don said:

independent fellow in western PA

That could have been Brian, he's in PA.

Wheel Horse 3D

Have a huge difference here between WHICH post office i drop off at...my closest one lost a package for a few days while it was in their bin where i left it the whole time! And they did NOT scan the package in.

Dropped of 2 packages by the PO near work this morning about 0630, are already scanned in ready to go to the next facility.

The Tuul Crib

I got four texts today about a package that I ordered three days ago with a link to click on. Different phone numbers each time. Of course I kick them out. Why do these people think that we are idiots ! 

Jeff-C175
31 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Why do these people think that we are idiots

Because there are SOOOO many of them out there!  Throw in a treble hook and you're bound to pull up a Shad.

Tractorhead

Ok, first Message 

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on April 15, 2021 at 9:51 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Your item departed our USPS facility in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on April 20, 2021 at 9:39 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in O'HARE INTERNATIONAL, CHICAGO, UNITED STATES on April 22, 2021 at 12:03 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

..... curious how long it takes..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tractorhead

Update, i tried to contact the Customs where my goods are.

They will be shown until Frankfurt Airport.

No responsible Persons can be found,

slowly but steady i become the feeling it was a zappzerapp.

😎

That takes now over a Month.

rmaynard

USPS probably regrets the day they let the public have access to tracking. Now we all know how inept they really are. 

Package shipped to me from the Amazon warehouse in Baltimore. I am only 45 minutes from that warehouse. USPS picked it up, delivered it to Union Bridge post office (my delivery post office). Then instead of delivering it to me the next day, they put it on a truck to Alexandria, VA. From Alexandria it went to Merrifield, VA. From there it was delivered to Baltimore. Then to BWI airport. Then to Frederick, MD and Baltimore again. Finally went to Union Bridge again, then finally to me.

:scratchead:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

formariz

I usually don’t have a problem with their delivery, however this time it’s actually hilarious. Bought a used book on eBay. Media delivery I am guessing. Supposed to arrive last Monday the 17th. I get notifications via email of all mail and packages( actual physical photos) tracking number of package is on email but no photo. No delivery . I check tracking details two or three days later. Package origin was Georgia. Next it’s in NJ distribution center in Kearny. (Correct one for my area). Then it’s back in Georgia. Next it’s in Tennessee. One day ago it was in Arizona. This morning it’s back in NJ Jersey city distribution center( incorrect one for my area). I am getting dizzy now. I no longer know when or what the heck I am getting if anything at all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

shallowwatersailor

Postmaster General DeJoy is at it again! A holdover from the last administration is for changing the First Class Mail and Periodical standards. He wants to remove all USPS mail from planes and then use only surface transportation to ship across the country. The intention is to eventually kill the US Postal System and turn it over to private enterprise. All in the name of making improving financial responsibility. Just remove the pre-funding mandate by Congress impemented in 2006 and service could improve along with costs decreasing. Some of the strange routing of packages that we suffer from are due to changes implemented by DeJoy. The USPS Board of Governors who hire/fire thePostmaster General were all appointed by the last administration.

Here is an example of USPS vs. private enterprise shipping costs. I recently shipped a package to my buddy in Australia. UPS (Brown) wanted to charge me $256.00 to ship the package. USPS only charged me $65.00 for the same expedited service!