cafoose

876 won't move

cafoose

I was pulling my big trailer with my 876 and it stopped moving it. It was doing great and all of a sudden it started jerking like sometimes it moved and sometimes not. I drew a line on the hubs and axles and the line moved about 1/8 of a turn. I took the wheels off and the axle keys both look worn but not sheared. When I pulled the wheels the hubs both wiggled and were loose. The hubs both look worn on the inside key-way. I was able to push the tractor by hand easily about 75 feet to the garage without opening the tow valve. If I just replace the keys and hubs will that correct the problem or do I need to open up the trans-axle? The pictures I took are from both sides

20210412_150254.jpg

20210412_150305.jpg

20210412_150324.jpg

20210412_150346.jpg

20210412_150441.jpg

20210412_150517.jpg

20210412_150537.jpg

20210412_150606.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Replace the keys and try it. Nothing to lose. I check all my hubs for loosness twice a year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

You should not be able to push it that far without opening the tow valve.  Like Mike said...change out those keys...need to do that anyway, but in the meantime do a couple of tests.  

1. turn one axle and see if the other turns in the opposite direction.  Do this from both sides.  If the axle turns opposite, differential is OK.

2. with the tow valve closed, grab both axles at once and try to turn.

3. with tow valve open, grab both axles and try to turn.

It should be mush easier with the valve open.  Probably the key ways and keys then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

No sign inside the hub that the axle key was dragged all the way around.  Only moved an 1/8 inch I doubt that this was yu r real problem (But you need to rebroach your hubs and get new keys> 

Pushing 75 ft with Tow valve closed is not a good thing and probably more of you issue...  I know you have a wheelamatic and the manual for that is pretty skimpy (WH wanted to repair by replacement)  Down load the sunstrand manual and look at diagnostics for can push with tow valve closed.  Could have sheared a key in the transaxle also...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

squonk

If the shiny part on this axle is from the hub before you took it off, it turned more than 1/8"! 

20210412_150537.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi
32 minutes ago, squonk said:

If the shiny part on this axle is from the hub before you took it off, it turned more than 1/8"! 

20210412_150537.jpg

If the hub had gone more than 1/8" you would see score marks on the hub bore   bore still looks rusty to me.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
28 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

You should not be able to push it that far without opening the tow valve.  Like Mike said...change out those keys...need to do that anyway, but in the meantime do a couple of tests.  

1. turn one axle and see if the other turns in the opposite direction.  Do this from both sides.  If the axle turns opposite, differential is OK.

2. with the tow valve closed, grab both axles at once and try to turn.

3. with tow valve open, grab both axles and try to turn.

It should be mush easier with the valve open.  Probably the key ways and keys then.

:thanks: @stevasaurus I had a feeling it was inside the case now I believe it is :angry-cussingblack: I turned both sides individually and the opposite side did not turn. When I turned the right side it locked up. Then I turned it backwards then forwards and it was free but still not turning the opposite side like something is broken and jamming up the gears and when I go backwards it moves out of the way then I can turn it forward again.

• Sad 1

pfrederi

I think #30 could be your problem.  How big/heavy was your  trailer.

Tranny1.JPG

tranny 2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If the hub had gone more than 1/8" you would see score marks on the hub bore   bore still looks rusty to me.

Kinda why I wondered if the hub is so rusty, why is the axle so shiny ?:confusion-confused: Unless he filed or sanded it.

squonk

20210401_162244.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

squonk

Watched the vids. I say she's broke! :(

• Thanks 1

cafoose
1 minute ago, squonk said:

20210401_162244.jpg

@pfrederi That's it! :thanks: @squonk I was just about to post that!

squonk

When you posted:"I was pulling my big trailer "              I thought "oh boy"! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cafoose
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

Unless he filed or sanded it.

Nope I did replace an axle key a few years ago maybe it's from that. The key was completely broken at that time.

stevasaurus

I don't think it is #30.  It's in your differential...either an axle gear or pinions or both.  The keys in #30 have nothing to do with the axles not turning in opposite directions.  Either way, you have to open it.  :eusa-think:

• Thanks 1

cafoose
1 minute ago, squonk said:

When you posted:"I was pulling my big trailer "              I thought "oh boy"! 

I did pop a couple wheelies when it started moving :D

• Sad 1

cafoose
Just now, stevasaurus said:

I don't think it is #30.  It's in your differential...either and axle gear or pinions or both.  The keys in #30 have nothing to do with the axles not turning in opposite directions.  Either way, you have to open it.  :eusa-think:

How difficult is that? Would it be easier to replace it?

squonk

Lots of Hydrogears at the show usually.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

No, it is easier to fix...just don't cause anymore damage.  Paul and I love to guess what is wrong, but I got him this time.  Axle gear and/or pinions...the videos show that.  Paul  :teasing-neener:  :greetings-wavingyellow:  .  Once you drop the trans and open it...shallow side down.  You can just pull out the differential and the axle gears and pinions are inside.  A-Z Tractor parts should have what you need.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Steve is right I didn't see the video.  Anyway if your hydro was sound other wise  don't try to replace it with an unknown quantity.  These are garden tractors not for hauling things that big doing wheelies with loose hubs when they are 55 years old

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

cafoose
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Steve is right I didn't see the video.  Anyway if your hydro was sound other wise  don't try to replace it with an unknown quantity.  These are garden tractors not for hauling things that big doing wheelies with loose hubs when they are 55 years old

When you said loose hubs I started thinking I bet what happened was the hubs were doing a hammer action on the gears and that's what broke them. I did have the hydro professionally rebuilt about 27 years ago by Bob's Outdoor Power in Lewisberry, PA who was an old :wh: dealer and in business since the late 1940's before they sold out a few years back. They had an excellent reputation for repairing anything :wh: related.

• Excellent 1

Gregor

They are pretty simple once you get inside. 20210327_083123.jpg.87db20bde0e4d73f7ddbccecbc4c9076.jpg

20210327_083148.jpg.9f5a9d5ac1795d519d589b346f783143.jpgThere really isn't much there.

20210327_083255.jpg.e366768ff066a177ccfde642bcd80817.jpgIf you pull off the hydro pump, which I did, and would do again, be careful of getting dirt and debris in these holes. They are oil ports. Check you parking brake lever for wear, and repair if needed. May as well order a gasket and seals now. You are going to need them, if you open it up. I made it through, with a lot of help from this forum.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
20 hours ago, squonk said:

20210401_162244.jpg

Head 'em up. Move 'em out !

• Haha 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, Gregor said:

They are pretty simple once you get inside.

Says who?!?!?:lol:

20181104_180754.jpg

20200907_172242.jpg

Kidding aside Foose I can fix those hubs. Pm me if interested. 

20200618_163237.jpg

20190217_134511.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

cafoose
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Kidding aside Foose I can fix those hubs. Pm me if interested.

:thanks: I'm getting all the parts I need from @Ed Kennell  That will give me experience opening up a transmission :banana-wrench: I can drive to his ranch and be home in an hour :auto-layrubber:

• Like 3