cafoose

876 won't move

rjg854

On the bay they sell a front hitch made to go into the front attach-o-matic for pushing trailers.  FWIW

That's where I got mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

I see those Randy but I have quite the many pieces to make one and Dan would :teasing-wedgie:if I didn't make my own! 'Course if he was to make two.... :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

cafoose
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm still surprised she didn't spin or do a back flip.   How much weight do you have on the trailer tongue? 

I back flipped my Commando 8 pulling my 6000 lb boat that had 400 lb on the tongue.    It was pulling it out of the barn easily on the level blacktop until a back wheel on the trailer bumped a 2X4 block.

The only thing that broke was my dignity..         Now I only use the front hitch to move heavy loads and I keep the trailer tongue wheel down for support.

Like you said, you may have had some long term damage due to the bad hubs.

The trailer was empty, I believe the sloppy hubs did a hammer action on the axle gears like an impact wrench. I was rocking back and forth like a car stuck in the snow and I believe the hubs were bad for a long time causing the gears to be cracked :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

cafoose
28 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

On the bay they sell a front hitch made to go into the front attach-o-matic for pushing trailers.  FWIW

That's where I got mine.

I don't have a front attach-o-matic on my 876. It's a 1966 and that came out in the 70's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
36 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I see those Randy but I have quite the many pieces to make one and Dan would :teasing-wedgie:if I didn't make my own! 'Course if he was to make two.... :lol:

I just bolted a chunk of  angle to the mule drive above the tension knob.    The mule drive still works and there's room for a ball and a clevis hole.

• Like 4

cafoose

I got the hydro separated from the gearbox!

20210417_144509.jpg

20210417_144526.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Big time Cleanup needed

• Like 1

cafoose

@stevasaurus @Ed Kennell @pfrederi I got it apart! I guess when Bob's Outdoor Power rebuilt it they put motor oil in it so I will stick with that :banana-wrench: @Gregor I plugged the holes you circled with balled up paper towels to keep dirt out

20210417_153838.jpg

20210417_153850.jpg

20210417_154351.jpg

20210417_154419.jpg

20210417_155222.jpg

20210417_155234.jpg

20210417_155408.jpg

20210417_155427.jpg

20210417_155454.jpg

20210417_155518.jpg

WHhydro plug holes.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

Did anyone mention removing and cleaning the screen?20210326_154456.jpg.f199f07a0582cb4d1b1784849b1f8a0c.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Think ya found the problem Chuck.    Looking at the broken gear, is there any difference in color that would indicate the crack developed over time?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Ahhhh little typo ther Ed ... why I just call him 'Foosie :ychain:

Not too bad  ... should be easy parts to find.  Doesn't look like any collateral damage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Ahhhh little typo ther Ed ... why I just call him 'Foosie :ychain:

All better Jimbo.   Tks

Not too bad  ... should be easy parts to find.  Doesn't look like any collateral damage. 

He should have all the parts in the 8 spd he got from me.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

cafoose

Cleaning up parts :banana-rock:

20210417_190929.jpg

20210417_190943.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

cafoose
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Did anyone mention removing and cleaning the screen?

Nope but I'm on it that's self explanatory :handgestures-thumbupright:

33 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

He should have all the parts in the 8 spd he got from me.

Yep and my axles seem good too :greetings-clappingyellow:

38 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I just call him 'Foosie 

Yer not the first one to call me that :laughing-rolling:

1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Think ya found the problem Chuck.    Looking at the broken gear, is there any difference in color that would indicate the crack developed over time?

I have to check maybe I should bring the broken parts to the Big Show so everyone can inspect them :D

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

I'm sure the Dino @stevasaurusis going to want to see the carnage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Just like we figured.  Foose...you took it apart upside down.  :dunno:  That's OK, but put it together in the shallow side with the differential nuts up.  Make sure you use new nylock nuts.  Those roll pins come out easily.  Also, be sure you alternate your pinions...one up next one down all the way around.  When you put the differential back together, check by rotating axles in opposite directions.  It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to make sure everything is spotless clean.  Your hydro will reward you.  I would not use any grease on any parts.  A little Lucus Oil treatment or just some 10W-30 to lubricate parts.  Take some pictures as you build it again.  If you run into a problem, you can post a picture and we can take a look.

Clean and keep all the other parts from Ed's transmission.  If you don't want them, I'm sure @WHX24 would love to take them.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cafoose

What size are the axle keys?

WHX??

# 15 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

Trans gasket  #5999

Pump gasket #5955

Axle seals #5958

Parking brake seal #5959

came in from @wheelhorseman

Wix 51410 ordered from Fisher Auto Parts pickup tomorrow morning

1/4 x 1 woodruff keys in stock Fisher Auto Parts

10w-40 oil picking up tomorrow

5/16 x 18 nylock nuts in stock at Lowe's picking up tomorrow.

Am I missing anything? Does the list look correct?

• Excellent 1

Gregor

I don't know that it matters, but Type A trans fluid came out of mine, that's what I put back in.

8 minutes ago, cafoose said:

Am I missing anything? Does the list look correct?

Paint. Lots of paint

Here's a tip.  Don't try to put the oil in too fast. You will have it all over the  :ranting: place. Trust me, I know.

Edited by Gregor
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I always replace Differential bolts with new GR8  (Actually Grade 9 in some differentials.)  If they fail exceedingly bad things happen....

Was there any sign of leakage around your motion control, easier to address that while she is apart...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Type A trans fluid came out of mine, that's what I put back in

I had mine rebuilt at Bob's Outdoor Power a long time :wh: dealer in Lewisberry PA about 25 years ago. What I drained out was motor oil so that's what I'm putting back in. They must have switched it from ATF when the rebuilt it.

4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I always replace Differential bolts with new GR8  (Actually Grade 9 in some differentials.)  If they fail exceedingly bad things happen....

Was there any sign of leakage around your motion control, easier to address that while she is apart...

No leakage anywhere that I noticed. Should I use any sealer on the gaskets or as an old mechanic once told me and I've done with much success in the past coat the gaskets with oil :eusa-think:

Gregor
3 minutes ago, cafoose said:

I had mine rebuilt at Bob's Outdoor Power a long time :wh: dealer in Lewisberry PA about 25 years ago.

I wonder what it would cost to have a hydro pump rebuilt today?

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, cafoose said:

I had mine rebuilt at Bob's Outdoor Power a long time :wh: dealer in Lewisberry PA about 25 years ago. What I drained out was motor oil so that's what I'm putting back in. They must have switched it from ATF when the rebuilt it.

No leakage anywhere that I noticed. Should I use any sealer on the gaskets or as an old mechanic once told me and I've done with much success in the past coat the gaskets with oil :eusa-think:

What ever you do DO NOT use RTV little bits of that stuff getting loose in a hydro can cause you to be back in there to clear out the acceleration valves...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

I wonder what it would cost to have a hydro pump rebuilt today?

I had everything rebuilt back about 1994 or 1995 and it cost me $200 plus tax. I removed the transmission and reinstalled it myself :banana-wrench: