cafoose

876 won't move

Gregor

Ahhh  I get it. :thanks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

@Gregor  It is the mushroom gear that we are talking about...looks like you figured that out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@pfrederi  I don't know yet what he has there...if he has 1 1/8" axles then yes, but I thought it looked like it was 4 pinion (from looking at the plates) 1" axles then..

• Like 1

cafoose
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Is that a ball bearing on that 11/44 toothed gear???

No ball bearings that I saw

2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

You are going to take the differential apart...right

Didn't plan on it, it's working fine and I learned long ago to leave well enough alone. Based on how everything else looked inside I think it looks fine.

I got the 876 apart and the oil is draining :banana-wrench: I even raised up the front and loosened the fill plug so it drains more efficiently. The roll pin came right out I used a small flat blade screwdriver with light taps after soaking it for five minutes :handgestures-thumbupright:

20210414_164642.jpg

20210414_180139.jpg

20210414_180305.jpg

20210414_180406.jpg

Edited by cafoose
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

cafoose
13 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I don't know yet what he has there...if he has 1 1/8" axles then yes, but I thought it looked like it was 4 pinion (from looking at the plates) 1" axles then

@Ed Kennell said it was 1" axles and I believe it is :handgestures-thumbupright: By the way, what do I need to put it back together other than fluid, filter, and gaskets? :eusa-think: who has gaskets?

953 nut
25 minutes ago, cafoose said:

who has gaskets?

Lowell @wheelhorseman has the gaskets and AXLE SEALS you will need.               https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
33 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

@Gregor  It is the mushroom gear that we are talking about...looks like you figured that out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@pfrederi  I don't know yet what he has there...if he has 1 1/8" axles then yes, but I thought it looked like it was 4 pinion (from looking at the plates) 1" axles then..

:confusion-confused:              I thought all hydros had the 1 1/8" axles.

Gregor

Trans gasket  #5999

Pump gasket #5955

Axle seals #5958

Parking brake seal #5959

Wheel Horse Parts and More

and patience

Edited by Gregor
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

As ugly as that tranny looked inside if you do not take the differential apart to check it....

I would also replace the differential  bolts with  Gr8 or  Gr9....

If it is a 4 pinion then I would avoid any more major trailer pulls....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
31 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Trans gasket  #5999

Pump gasket #5955

Axle seals #5958

Parking brake seal #5959

Wheel Horse Parts and More

and patience

:thanks: Just put my order in :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I am wondering if the axles are the same length in both differentials.  Not sure and I have not had the time to take a look at the break downs of the transmissions to see if they are the same parts.  In other words, you may have to take that differential apart and change out and axle.  Check in tomorrow on that thought.  @cafoose  relax and have an extra cup of coffee tomorrow and let us help figure this out.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

cafoose
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

relax and have an extra cup of coffee tomorrow and let us help figure this out. 

:thanks: I'm done with it for the night I just ordered the gaskets and seals from @wheelhorseman I'm letting it drain overnight. I will try to measure the axles soon :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

What model did the gear trans come from ?

cafoose
2 minutes ago, Gregor said:

What model did the gear trans come from ?

Not sure @Ed Kennell had it and said he got it at an auction and it was already off the tractor. It's a three-speed. Maybe @stevasaurus knows from what I posted so far :eusa-think:

stevasaurus

It is a 3 speed.  Depending on the shift forks, it is the same as a #5025...although with those hubs, it could be a #5049...same difference.  Basically the same transmission and interchangeable with the other 3 speed manual transmissions.  We need to look at a parts breakdown to see if the axles are the same length for the manual trans versus the hydro.  Might just have to replace one or two in the differential...no big deal...they should switch right out if we need to.  :occasion-xmas:  Look into it in the morning.

• Thanks 1

cafoose
12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

We need to look at a parts breakdown to see if the axles are the same length for the manual trans versus the hydro.

I just checked both are 1" axles. The hydro is 23 1/4" and the 3 speed is 21 1/4" so I guess I learn how to swap axles :handgestures-thumbupright: maybe I can find a casting date to get the age of the 3 speed :eusa-think:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Can't wait to see the hydro differential Chuck.   Get er open.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

cafoose
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Can't wait to see the hydro differential Chuck.   Get er open.

I can't wait to see it as well :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

BTW, Congrats on the hub removal.   Looks like you were able to squeeze the bearing splitter in between the hub and case w/o damaging the axle snap ring.  :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
43 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

BTW, Congrats on the hub removal.   Looks like you were able to squeeze the bearing splitter in between the hub and case w/o damaging the axle snap ring.  :thumbs2:

:thanks: actually the hub was not that tight :greetings-clappingyellow: it didn't take much force at all after soaking it all night with kroil. I wasn't going to use much torque on the puller if it didn't start to move because of the snap ring I'm happy it worked :banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

OK...We are going to open both differentials.  Piece of cake...keep parts separate.  Both differentials are the same except the axles.  They are both 4 pinion with 1" axles.  In both differentials, the axles are held in place with roll pins instead of "C" clips.  I would clean out the 3 speed differential.  

Option 1.  clean and inspect the 3 speed differential.  if OK, put back together using new nyloc nuts and insert in hrdro transmission.

Option 2.  take apart hydro differential, clean and inspect, replace with parts from the 3 speed trans...including axles and put back together.

Regardless, you have to use the hydro axles (they are longer)...this means taping out the roll pins to replace stripped axle gear...if stripped.

Part numbers:

#5025 3 speed

axles #3904 (2)

pinions #4235 (4)

axle gear  #3908 (2)

#5052 hydro

axles #5961 (2)

pinions#4235 (4)

axle gear #3908 (2)

• Excellent 4

stevasaurus

Make sure everything is very clean.  Any dirt, grease or old oil can mess up your hydro and close up oil ports.  Extremely important!!!  :occasion-xmas:

Your axle measurements are correct.  The #5025 3 speed has #3904 axles 10 5/8" in length.  The #5052 hydro has #5961 axles at 11 5/8" in length.  Both are 1" diameter and drilled for roll pins.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

I think I found what caused the problem. It was Sunday night after dark, I just unhooked my trailer from my truck after coming back from a long trip, I was tired, it started raining, I needed to put the trailer in it's tight parking space quickly so I could get some rest and out of the rain, I hooked up the 876 and started pulling the trailer, it stopped pulling, today I found this wire in the following picture where the 876 was hooked to the trailer, it's the emergency breakaway for the trailer brakes, I noticed when I moved the trailer with my truck an error light was on at the brake controller inside, I bet the brakes were applied on the trailer and the poor 876 couldn't pull it without breaking something!

20210415_145431.jpg

20210415_145446.jpg

• Sad 6

Ed Kennell

I'm still surprised she didn't spin or do a back flip.   How much weight do you have on the trailer tongue? 

I back flipped my Commando 8 pulling my 6000 lb boat that had 400 lb on the tongue.    It was pulling it out of the barn easily on the level blacktop until a back wheel on the trailer bumped a 2X4 block.

The only thing that broke was my dignity..         Now I only use the front hitch to move heavy loads and I keep the trailer tongue wheel down for support.

Like you said, you may have had some long term damage due to the bad hubs.

• Like 3

WHX??

Just gotta love it how Steve gets worked up when someone's gotta open a tranny! :occasion-xmas:

14 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I only use the front hitch

High on my list of builds & should be on yours 'Foosie. You be  surprised at how easy it would be to get that trailer in tight spots then. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Reminds me of the scene at the end of True Grit where that little horse just ran and ran until it just couldnt anymore. On a Happier note..... you can bring this one back to life !

• Like 3