Mickwhitt

What did we say about angle grinders?

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

directed me to a patient

I threw up a little in my mouth whilst reading that.  OMFG... 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Me too, the thought of his left nut being up in the ratfers somewhere! 

With Mrs W being a nurse she has seen some odd things in the accident and emergency department, many to do with sexually initiated injuries.

She told me word used to whip round the hospital if something good was in A&E and staff from all over the show would pop down to have a butchers. Quick look at the clipboard and the injury then off lol.

I feel faint...

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

being a nurse

I have a good friend works in the OR.  On one day in the days following one or our hurricanes, there was not one, not two, but THREE men that came in with severed and/or mutilated genitals.  All had also nearly severed their legs.  One died from bleeding out.

Seems that people should not use chain saws without the proper training and SAFETY EQUIPMENT!  In all three of these cases these men went out and purchased chain saws to clean up downed trees on their property.  They were wearing denim jeans.  The saw touched the jeans material, caught it and dragged the chain across the thigh and into the 'nether region'

The day after hearing that I went out and purchased a proper pair of leather chaps!

I'm a firm believe in SAFETY FIRST!

The time saved in NOT working safely is far outweighed by the time lost in the ER, losing appendages, or worse, in the ground, toes up, pushing up daisies.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Mickwhitt

I have proper chainsaw trousers, they have lots of fibres in the legs that instantly clog up a chainsaw and stop it doing too much damage. We had a guy near us get killed with a chainsaw, he had stood it on top of a 45 gal steel drum ticking over, he blipped the throttle and the blade caught the lip of the drum, flipping it up in the air and partially severing his head, wife found him dead. Dreadful accident. 

• Sad 2

Jeff-C175
19 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

proper chainsaw trousers

Very good!

I think that part of being safe has a LOT to do with being able to 'predict' the future, or at least be able to 'project' into it by means of a quick 'what if' question you ask yourself.

The simplest example is driving on the highway.  You see the light 1/4 mile ahead turn RED.  You should KNOW you are going to have to stop!  Why stay on the gas until the last second?  People that do that are not 'projecting'.

Same goes with any sort of risky endeavor.  One should practice 'projecting' and be able to instantly assess the risks and possible futures and properly prepare for them.

I have finally (after too many injuries) learned that I should listen to that little voice in my head that says "STOP! DON'T DO THAT!"  Like when you are holding a piece of sheet metal in your hand attempting to drill a small hole.  Or when you are holding something in your hand and trying to pry something apart with a screwdriver.  You KNOW that bit is going to grab that metal, spin it and sever your skin.  You KNOW that screwdriver is going to slip and puncture your hand.  And we HEARD that voice saying " STOP!!!! "  Yet we often persist.

That little voice is your "Guardian Angel" speaking to you.  We must learn to listen to our Guardians!

Which reminds me of another driving example, an extreme example of the 'little voice' that was not so little this time:

One day I was at a red light at a heavily congested intersection.  There was a pickup truck in front of me.  The light turned GREEN and as the traffic began to move I heard CLEAR AS A BELL a voice saying " BACK OFF!  THIS GUY IS GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT! "  I was SHOCKED!  And I LISTENED and backed off appropriately... and SURE ENOUGH, 100 feet further down the road past the intersection a car pulled out directly in front of him and he T-boned her.  Had I not listened to my Guardian Angel and continued following too closely, I would have rear ended him for certain, and probably been rear ended by the cars behind me.

We have help... we just have to learn to LISTEN!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Brockport Bill

Jeff -- yes, agreed --  thanks for insights -- understood --- not expecting any real life -- that's why i cleaned them up to really see their condition --- and viability --- u r right - not much life -- please always feel free to pass along "just sayin" "ism's" -

• Excellent 1

Brockport Bill
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Very good!

I think that part of being safe has a LOT to do with being able to 'predict' the future, or at least be able to 'project' into it by means of a quick 'what if' question you ask yourself.

The simplest example is driving on the highway.  You see the light 1/4 mile ahead turn RED.  You should KNOW you are going to have to stop!  Why stay on the gas until the last second?  People that do that are not 'projecting'.

Same goes with any sort of risky endeavor.  One should practice 'projecting' and be able to instantly assess the risks and possible futures and properly prepare for them.

I have finally (after too many injuries) learned that I should listen to that little voice in my head that says "STOP! DON'T DO THAT!"  Like when you are holding a piece of sheet metal in your hand attempting to drill a small hole.  Or when you are holding something in your hand and trying to pry something apart with a screwdriver.  You KNOW that bit is going to grab that metal, spin it and sever your skin.  You KNOW that screwdriver is going to slip and puncture your hand.  And we HEARD that voice saying " STOP!!!! "  Yet we often persist.

That little voice is your "Guardian Angel" speaking to you.  We must learn to listen to our Guardians!

Which reminds me of another driving example, an extreme example of the 'little voice' that was not so little this time:

One day I was at a red light at a heavily congested intersection.  There was a pickup truck in front of me.  The light turned GREEN and as the traffic began to move I heard CLEAR AS A BELL a voice saying " BACK OFF!  THIS GUY IS GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT! "  I was SHOCKED!  And I LISTENED and backed off appropriately... and SURE ENOUGH, 100 feet further down the road past the intersection a car pulled out directly in front of him and he T-boned her.  Had I not listened to my Guardian Angel and continued following too closely, I would have rear ended him for certain, and probably been rear ended by the cars behind me.

We have help... we just have to learn to LISTEN!

Brockport Bill

love the truck story --- mine is - definition of EXPERIENCE --- life's accumulation of mistakes

• Excellent 2

Brockport Bill

jeff -- came across a 60 inch deck just recently -- turned it over --this is the blade condition i saw

split blades.jpg

slit blade 2.jpg

Jeff-C175
25 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

this is the blade

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Imagine that piece of steel shrapnel come flying out of the chute!  It's bad enough when it's a piece of a branch, or even a rock, but shrapnel is nothing to have out the mower chute!

The widder lady next door pizzes me off... she has a Craftsman rider and is out there mowing her grass with her dog chasing behind her.  And she never cleans up the branches and/or driveway rocks before she mows.  "One o' these days Christina..."

Here's a project for your grinder... take two of the old blades and make blade wrenches out of them.  Cut off the ends square and cut a 1-1/8 slot in one end.  Nice and skinny to hold the nut between the spindle and the blade.  I said two, but really you should be using a proper socket wrench on the removeable bolt and torque to 80-90 ft lb.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 1

Brockport Bill

interesting Jeff - if you have a photo please send - i like visual !!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff-C175
On 4/9/2021 at 9:20 PM, Brockport Bill said:

interesting Jeff - if you have a photo please send - i like visual !!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, the easiest way is an impact wrench and socket... but if you don't have one and like using your muscles (I do!) then...

But I have a 1-1/8" open end wrench that was milled thinner by a friend for the purpose, and a big ole socket for my breaker bar (to remove) or my torque wrench to install (90 ft lbs)

Paul posted a pic of the wrench that he made:

By the way, those blades are AWESOME steel.  They make GREAT knife / machete blades!  (this is not mine... stole it off the web)

image.png.fca73c961d6e2c2749cfb8e687156a0f.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Mickwhitt

I like the machete idea, more of a Smatchet look to my eye.

Good quality steel is a great starting point to create a great knife. 

I may slot a bit of blade smithing into my schedule lol.

• Excellent 1

Brockport Bill

what's been your experience using an air impact gun to remove mower blades?

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

what's been your experience using an air impact gun to remove mower blades?

None. Maybe once.  I use the manual method.  I'm old skool.  I have one but rarely use it!

It does work well though! 

Edited by Jeff-C175

Stormin

Back to the start. Using an 4" angle grinder with a thin cutting disc one day, the disc shattered. I had a thick jumper on and a piece of disc hit my arm. Strangely didn't cut the sleeve but did cut me. I've a scar to prove it.

Some years back a lad who worked part time at a mates farm, had a habit of putting down grinders before they had properly stopped. I told him many a time about it. One day he put a 9" grinder on the workshop floor, still running at nearly full speed. Needless to say the disc touched the concrete and the grinder jumped up a bit him on his calf. He now has a groove in his shin bone to remind him to listen and heed.

• Like 1

squonk

Similar to nORM's story. In college in the body shop, one of the guys was grinding on the bottom of a car with a big honking grinder. He shut it off and set it down but it was still spinning. Leaned his butt cheeks right into it! :)

• Sad 1

Marv
On 4/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

Hi Bill,  I bought them on a whim after seeing them come up as a suggestion on Amazon.  Thought I'd give them a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Strip-Stripping-Grinders-Remove-Oxidation/dp/B08TTX8ZQN/ref=sr_1_4?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Abrasive+Wheels+%26+Discs&qid=1617933819&s=industrial&sr=1-4&ts_id=2665570011

Make sure they fit your machine... there are different hub sizes.  I seem to recall that I bought the wrong ones, had to return and get different ones.

There's LOTS of different types of wheels to be had!  Check it out...

https://www.amazon.com/Abrasive-Wheels-26-Discs/b?ie=UTF8&node=2665570011

Fellows, These things can come apart too, so be sure to wear good protection.  I had it happen. I was wearing protection and did not get hurt. Had I not been wearing it my face would have been torn up or eye loss.

Marv

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

Having to wear glasses as I mature, I wear a full size face mask.

• Like 2

Tractorhead
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

Having to wear glasses as I mature, I wear a full size face mask.

Wear glasses is the minimum protection i like to have.

I work several times with the thin 1mm suicide blades, because they cut fast and the cut is very thin.

Once i love them, once i hate them but they make a real nice cut for fast.

Even if the Blades fit, they can collapse or blast very quick when be even gently canted.

Cheapo’s i had in the past collapses sometimes just by spinning up, so it‘s no waste of Money in buy good qualities of the blades since.

They be worth the few bucks more.

The fullsize mask you mentioned Norm is a great protection for the complete face,

but i also see a lot of guy‘s they cut with suicide blades even without any blade protection or safety Wear.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2