Seth Powers

Shifting lever came out???

Seth Powers

Hi All,

Well, it seems like this tractor of mine just goes from one problem to the next. It sure is great in the middle but there has been far too little middle. :-)

Today, my son was using the tractor when suddenly there was no resistance trying to shift between gears. And low and behold, you could pick the shifting lever (the stick) right up and out... Tell me what kind of terrible problem is this??? I shudder to think. 

Help! 

Seth

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Handy Don

May not be as big an issue as you might think.

Important, though, is to give us some critical info! What kind of tractor is this and what year? The model and serial number from the plate near the seat (newer models) or on the hoodstand (older models) is extremely helpful. Pictures of the end of the shifter that sticks into the transmission are very useful.

Also, when the shifter came out what gear (and range?) was it in? 

Too many different Wheel Horses to make an informed guess.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Yep the wheel fell off ,help. Based on this line ,help. Read this and answer. 

Edited by JAinVA

ebinmaine

I'm figuring that's the 417-8. 

Sounds to me like the dog point set screw wore out. 

If so, easy fix. 

Please take a picture looking down into the transmission. Also one of the shifter. 

I have some of those set screws here and can Mail ya one. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:

Assuming you have a Wheel Horse it's most likely an easy fix. Look down the shifter hole. The forks need to be positioned like this.

1550906990_shifterforks.jpg.7b9f66dbd575d49dc494e55f86412564.jpg

If not use a screwdriver and move them there. Insert the shifter with the ball in that rectangular area. Run the dog point set screw into the hole at the front of the 'donut' ring. Snug it up until ( 1/8" allen wrench) you start to feel resistance as you shift it through the gears. Then back it off a fuzz, hold it in place and tighten the lock nut. The locknut isn't shown but it's a 1/4"-20 nut and takes a 7/16" wrench. :)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Here is a thread that will cover the problem you are running into.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
9 hours ago, Seth Powers said:

Well, it seems like this tractor of mine just goes from one problem to the next.

Please don't get discouraged.  Most anything on these 50-60 year old tractors can be easily repaired .     Many repairs are as easy as this one by simply tightening or replacing a missing bolt.

Post some pictures and the ID plate of your tractor and we may be able to offer some preventative maintenance that may help prevent any future problems.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Seth Powers

Wonderful replies.... sorry for missing the big picture (it is a 417-8). I'll try to post some pics tonight. 

Seth

• Like 2

Pullstart

The hardest part may just be getting to it.  Otherwise, it’s as simple as explained.  One other point, make sure the “donut” is secure on the shift lever.  I believe by then they were all welded on, but there were some with roll pins that wore out or broke, resulting in a sloppy shifter all the time.

• Like 1

Seth Powers

Indeed, how do you get to it? Can you take the metal plate where the rear fenders are off with those four bolts under the seat and does that give access to it easily? It is all one metal piece from one fender to the other and it seems like the transmission would be easy to get to if you could take that off. Forgive my lack of technical lingo. I am no mechanic nor the son of a mechanic; quite the opposite, actually, but I'm willing to give it a shot. :-) 

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

The most things are just screwed together on the Wheelhorses, except a PO welded it.

There are just few parts they be welded on that tractors.

Most things on that tractas need little care over the time or let me better say a little love after a long years use.

But all can be done easily with a few wrenches and a little passion.

No Rocket technic or knowledge is needed to fix them.

You be here on Redsquare perfect surrounded for all the needs you have.

Lot‘s of experienced and professional Members are here to give you advices,

they help quick to solve any problems.

Welcome in the wonderful World of that little Workers,

they be build for and they do it with a little care long time stressless.

Edit:

sometimes a pic tells more than a thousand Words for Questions.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2

Seth Powers

Certainly needs to get cleaned out under there. 

But how do you access it to tighten etc this dog point set screw? 

Seth

Clutch 2.jpg

Clutch 3.jpg

Clutch 4.jpg

stevasaurus

Use a long 1/8" Allen wrench and come at the set screw from underneath the tower.  I don't see any set screw sticking into the hole.  I'm thinking it broke off.  Show us a picture of the shifter by the doughnut.  The hole in the doughnut is where the end of the set screw (dog point) fits.  Pull out the set screw and let's see that also.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Well I can't give any better advice than all of the above. So I will say all of the above 

and yes it is a simple fix.!! 

• Like 1

Tractorhead

The Set screw is be the screw in the red marked Area, hidden under the dirt.

if i see it right by zooming deep into the picture, i believe i just see a gently tip of the setscrew

(in the blue marking)

80E072D0-7EC7-428E-BE1B-F68BC0C86275.jpeg.ef1e0a4e65052fb0829444a3a0aa74a3.jpeg

But i‘m with stevasaurus,

screw it out completely and check the tip if it was broken.

The tip i believe to imagine, can be also just a fract of the screw after it cracks, so it‘s 

better to check it before than have a gearbox damage.

If you have a small telescopic magnet, put it from top the open hole into the hole and see if you can fish out a part of metal.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Seth Powers
16 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

The Set screw is be the screw in the red marked Area, hidden under the dirt.

if i see it right by zooming deep into the picture, i believe i just see a gently tip of the setscrew

(in the blue marking)

80E072D0-7EC7-428E-BE1B-F68BC0C86275.jpeg.ef1e0a4e65052fb0829444a3a0aa74a3.jpeg

But i‘m with stevasaurus,

screw it out completely and check the tip if it was broken.

The tip i believe to imagine, can be also just a fract of the screw after it cracks, so it‘s 

better to check it before than have a gearbox damage.

If you have a small telescopic magnet, put it from top the open hole into the hole and see if you can fish out a part of metal.

I got the screw out and it looked fine but when we tried to tighten it up it broke off. My father-in-law was going to remake it with his lathe from the remaining bolt. Thank you all for the help! You guys are so helpful. What kinds of maintenance should I be doing to avoid things like this in the future? Are there pictures of certain parts of the tractor that I should take to help you identify potential problem areas? Attached is a picture of my youngest "driving" the tractor in low gear - he was thrilled. Loves the "broom broom." :-)

Archer on tractor.jpg

• Heart 4

Ed Kennell
18 minutes ago, Seth Powers said:

when we tried to tighten it up it broke off

The set screw should just be turned in untill it contacts the ball and then held while the lock nut is tightened.      If you can not turn it in easily, retap the threaded hole.

• Like 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Seth Powers said:

Attached is a picture of my youngest "driving" the tractor in low gear - he was thrilled. Loves the "broom broom." :-)

Add a lesson in using those ear protectors? Or better yet, get him a set of his own! (The "broom" is still plenty audible!)

I keep extra sets for my grandchildren/shop helpers and we remind each other to don them when we work with machines.

My Dad lost most of his hearing by his later years and it was traced to the time he spent in noisy manufacturing situations without using the ear protection the he pushed for line workers to have and use. My hearing has been affected by years of lawn mowing, chain sawing, and other high noise activities--not a legacy I want to share with my grandchildren.

• Like 1

Seth Powers
58 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Add a lesson in using those ear protectors? Or better yet, get him a set of his own! (The "broom" is still plenty audible!)

I keep extra sets for my grandchildren/shop helpers and we remind each other to don them when we work with machines.

My Dad lost most of his hearing by his later years and it was traced to the time he spent in noisy manufacturing situations without using the ear protection the he pushed for line workers to have and use. My hearing has been affected by years of lawn mowing, chain sawing, and other high noise activities--not a legacy I want to share with my grandchildren.

Don't worry about the hearing. He uses those green ones all the time. I had it down really low and quiet. 

Seth Powers

It is all set and Archer and I were moving stuff again this morning, both wearing those green hearing protectors! My father-in-law made me an extra screw, too. 

Thanks again for all the help!

Seth

• Like 5