Jeff-C175

Deck Spindle wear point

Jeff-C175

While performing autopsy on failed center spindle on a 48MS01 I had an interesting revelation.

Note that the shoulders on the blade end of the spindle housing are tapered.  They're supposed to be SQUARE!  The one on the bottom was worn so thin that the groove for the snap ring broke out when I went to remove it.

Take a look at all the CRUD in the spindle cup.  That's grease, grass, and sand, maybe some rabbit blood for good measure.

When that CRUD build up and gets packed in there it slowly grinds away at the shoulder of the housing.

I am beginning to believe that part of routine maintenance should be to clean that crud out every couple years, if not every year.

Those housings might last 60 years instead of only 40 ! 

I still haven't determined why the center housing pulley got wallowed out though... the bearings were fine!

image.png.b35b7bb4c8401888e62985126c172dd3.png

Skwerl58

I pulled my center spindle on my 87 model last week and it was warn to the snap ring. The snap ring was still holding so I am replacing the bearings and using it as spare. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
24 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

warn to the snap ring

The spindle cup full of crud like mine? ('80 model)

I haven't disassembled the other two yet but a quick looK tells me they are in the same condition. 

I was going to rebuild them and sell, but they aren't worth doing that.  Basically all I've got is two halfway decent shafts.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Skwerl58

I replaced another spindle two years ago with a new one that was not warn but a bolt hole was corroded away. The one I am replacing now  did have some crud under the cup and also some type of twine in there too. I wouldnt sell the one I am repairing but will save for my use. Good used parts are hard to find in my area but I have picked up stuff from vendors and individuals on this site. 

IMG_20210403_171101280.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

some type of twine in there

All three of mine had bits of what looked like nylon string wrapped around them.  Could have been in there for decades!  I look at it as an additional 'seal' !  :rolleyes:

That housing looks OK, but that bearing sure is toast, ain't it?  :scared-eek:

Goldnboy

I have rebuilt a few spindles each one the big nut would spin on the shaft. I have had good luck cutting it off and tapping the shaft down and replacing with a jam nut and blue locktite.

20190812_065658.jpg

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

the big nut would spin on the shaft

I've not encountered that one!  Wonder how the heck that could happen?

So you cut down one flat and then spread it with cold chisel to loosen it?

I kinda liked the old style with the large nutz.  Easy to throw a pipe wrench on that for holding.  The new ones are too thin, had to mill down an open end to get it to fit.

Edited by Jeff-C175