krystolo

Tips on opening trans fluid drain

ebinmaine

@krystolo

Can you take a wire brush or something and just clean out that plug a little? Then take your phone and reach under the tractor to get a nice close picture of the plug so you can see exactly what you're trying to overcome... 

krystolo
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@krystolo

Can you take a wire brush or something and just clean out that plug a little? Then take your phone and reach under the tractor to get a nice close picture of the plug so you can see exactly what you're trying to overcome... 

I was able to clean it out with a scribing tool. Very pointy! Got a bunch of greasy gunk out. Ready for a new Allen wrench!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, krystolo said:

after cleaning ........, and using an appropriate ..tool, it actually came out pretty easily

One can take that as a life lesson both for mechanical work and also in many other aspects.

Around my place we try to do as much DIY as possible.

Watch about 38 videos. 

Ask twice as many questions. 

Give it a shot...

Odds are we are trying to fix something that was already broke so it don't matter if we bust it more.

Nice work.

• Heart 1

squonk
21 minutes ago, krystolo said:

So after cleaning the gunk out, and using an appropriate (sort of) tool, it actually came out pretty easily. 

I was so excited to replace the oil, that I forgot to put in a new filter while it was empty. 🤦‍♀️ 
The old stuff actually looked really good, so I’m going to hope that the filter is still in good shape and just catch it next time. Rookie!!

pic of the winning tool! 🤣

image.jpg

Told ya. 3/8" drive 1/4" bit and a ratchet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

There is a plumbers tool l use that is L

shaped . One end has the correct alan

size on it.

• Like 1

krystolo
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

One can take that as a life lesson both for mechanical work and also in many other aspects.

Around my place we try to do as much DIY as possible.

Watch about 38 videos. 

Ask twice as many questions. 

Give it a shot...

Odds are we are trying to fix something that was already broke so it don't matter if we bust it more.

Nice work.

That's about right! May as well give it a shot!

If you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough. :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Kenneth R Cluley

If you " chewed" up internal socket or threads appear damaged you may want to replace the plug. It is a standard pipe plug. Best to replace with same and not have anything exposed under tractor to hit something. I've seen broken cases on trannys from that.

krystolo
11 hours ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

If you " chewed" up internal socket or threads appear damaged you may want to replace the plug. It is a standard pipe plug. Best to replace with same and not have anything exposed under tractor to hit something. I've seen broken cases on trannys from that.

The plug was actually in really good shape.  It didn't even take that much force to get it out once I had better leverage with the little ratchet.  Went right back in without any snags.

Thanks, though!

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

Great!, an old trick i often use on stuck bolts, is first tightening it a hair, before loosening it. Sounds backwards, but it seems to work great!

• Like 3