rmaynard

How to Rebuild a Tecumseh V60 Carburetor

Greentored

Excellent detailed, correct rebuild procedure!  I think that 'jiggle rod' is the part that causes so many seemingly 'not repairable' issues that gives the Tekky carbs a bad name.

If a correct overhaul still presents troubles, I have found a simple two step 'fix' that works every time:

1. unbolt carb

2. throw it as far as you can.

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 4

squonk

Where are the new welch plugs sourced? 

rmaynard
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Where are the new welch plugs sourced? 

Amazon. They are Oregon products. 7/16" and 9/16".

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 4/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, rmaynard said:

chart.png.0a9804ef1d264a29945e72e5f6ce48a4.png

Bob where did you find this chart exactly? I've been messing around with an LME Walbro and I keep finding ONE AND THREE QUARTER on the main jet.

Your chart above makes more sense because I had to turn IN to get it to run better.

rmaynard
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bob where did you find this chart exactly? I've been messing around with an LME Walbro and I keep finding ONE AND THREE QUARTER on the main jet.

Your chart above makes more sense because I had to turn IN to get it to run better.

PAGE 16

• Thanks 1

John Wyrick

New to this forum - I just rebuilt a V60 in an IH model 60. I can't seem to get the metering rod out that you described.  The carb  "shakes", but I can't see the rod move. I am soaking in carb cleaner again to see if that helps. I have tried to poke it with a pick and needle. Any suggestions?  Thanks for a great post. I didn't remove the Welch plugs when I initially cleaned it. It ran well but dies after 5 sec or so.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, John Wyrick said:

New to this forum - I just rebuilt a V60 in an IH model 60. I can't seem to get the metering rod out that you described.  The carb  "shakes", but I can't see the rod move. I am soaking in carb cleaner again to see if that helps. I have tried to poke it with a pick and needle. Any suggestions?  Thanks for a great post. I didn't remove the Welch plugs when I initially cleaned it. It ran well but dies after 5 sec or so.

Welcome aboard John.  

Perhaps @Handy Don can help out.    

Handy Don
2 hours ago, John Wyrick said:

The metering rod, at least on the Tecumseh's I've worked on, are captive and cannot be removed (at least without abnormal surgery on the carb). If it is shaking, it is fine.

To run for 5 seconds and then die does sound like fuel starvation. I would test this by opening the idle needle jet a full turn and see if the engine limps along on just that fuel. If yes, then the main jet is still not working.

• Like 2

ri702bill

@Handy Don

Funny, all the problem ones I had the idle circuit would not work - high speed and wide open was not an issue ...

Bill

Handy Don
29 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

@Handy Don

Funny, all the problem ones I had the idle circuit would not work - high speed and wide open was not an issue ...

Bill

The unpredictability keeps us on our toes, eh? :)

ri702bill
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

keeps us on our toes, eh?

Yeah, like gas prices.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Yeah, like gas prices.

I don't see what so unpredictable there.

They go up. Then they go up. And after that they go up.

Mehh...

Such is life.  

• Like 2

Achto

I stumbled across this post & I'm very sorry but given the title, I thought that this was going to be scene from "Office Space". :D

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

rmaynard
9 hours ago, Achto said:

I stumbled across this post & I'm very sorry but given the title, I thought that this was going to be scene from "Office Space". :D

I agree that many techy carbs deserve the sledge hammer, but not all. As to the fax machine, having been an office machine dealer for most of my life, most fax machines from that era do deserve the hammer.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

buckrancher

excellent job bob great thread :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1