Pullstart

GUAC!

Pullstart

Has anyone ever successfully grown an avocado seed?  The kids have been trying for quite some time and Rylee finally got one to sprout!  It’s growing like crazy!  

Jada is great at re-sprouting succulent plants, they are everywhere.  

B9BB6EAB-53C8-4BAE-B093-EF14673A8F6F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

OldWorkHorse

That's awesome! Never seen 1 get that far b4, might need to build a very tall large heated green house for it to now live in forever lol

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Side note but might wanna drop the light closer to it and maybe add small oscillating fan near it have the stem build some strength 💪 and not stretch so far. Idk much about guacamole trees but works for my tomatoes kinda the same thing right? :dunno:

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
28 minutes ago, pullstart said:

trying

They start them in water?  That's what we used to do as kids and they generally all sprouted.  As OWH said though, they generally didn't last long.  Tell the kids we said "Good Luck"!  

• Like 3

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Side note but might wanna drop the light closer to it and maybe add small oscillating fan near it have the stem build some strength 💪 and not stretch so far. Idk much about guacamole trees but works for my tomatoes kinda the same thing right? :dunno:

I moved it closer to the window and she told me they don’t prefer the sun?  I didn’t realize that...  it obviously she’s better at this green thumb than I am!  I can only grow weeds in the garden!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

tomatoes

"Honey, what are those plants you've got sprouting?"

"Tomatoes"

ha ha ha ... yeah, right, I've heard that before! :ychain:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

They start them in water?  That's what we used to do as kids and they generally all sprouted.  As OWH said though, they generally didn't last long.  Tell the kids we said "Good Luck"!  

Yep.  My only input was to change the water often.  We have softened well water, so I recommended our RO drinking tap at the sink.  It had to have been better than salt water for plants!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

softened well water

me too

19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

salt water

If you've got salt in your water, there's something wrong with your softener!

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

me too

If you've got salt in your water, there's something wrong with your softener!

well, I’m sure there’s something in soft water that plants would rather not chew on... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

well, I’m sure there’s something in soft water that plants would rather not chew on... :handgestures-thumbupright:

There is an elevated level of Sodium IONS, but not 'salt'  per se.  That's inherent in the way the softener works, it's an 'ion exchange' system.  The calcium and magnesium (and to some extent iron) ions are pulled out by the resin and exchanged with sodium ions.

The fact that the calcium and magnesium is removed maybe they don't care for, but regular city water is 'generally' pretty soft too (but it has the chlorine and fluoride in it too)  so it's six of one, half dozen.........

Use rain water.  Hey! there's a project for them!  Rain water collection!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

haydendavid380
On 4/1/2021 at 7:43 AM, pullstart said:

Soft water has things taken out, not added. 

Think of a softener as a big mineral filter of sorts. The salt you put on it just goes to clean the filter media of the mineral buildup taken out of the water. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
52 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

clean the filter media

1 hour ago, haydendavid380 said:

Soft water has things taken out, not added. 

The hardness ions, Ca and Mg are taken out, but they are replaced by Sodium ions, so that's not entirely true.

The media is a Zeolite resin that functions by 'ion exchange'.  The minerals in the water are in the ionic state.  The zeolite resin has ionic 'holes' in it.  The hardness minerals have an ionic attraction to those 'holes'.

When the resin bed is backwashed with the salt brine, the ionic attraction to the hardness minerals is stronger to the Sodium ions in the salt brine and they leave the resin and attach to the sodium.

The sodium ions then fill the holes in the zeolite to attract more minerals after backwash.

During operation it seems likely that those sodium ions (which are not 'hardness') leaves the resin and back into the water.  That is what the plants  may  not like, but I don't know for certain on that.  Most plants don't like sodium I believe.

• Like 1

Pullstart

This plant is now about 24” tall, with leaves easily longer than my hand!  Other than RO water, we’ve given it some coffee grounds and peat moss soil.  Rylee gives it her lovin’ and it’s workin!

• Excellent 2

Vurge

Mine is about 30 years old. My dad planted it by the pool to "stay warm" but we've almost lost it a couple times due to frost.  About 6-7 winters ago the top 2/3 got killed.  Since then, I've learned that putting a fan or two around the tree during cold nights will keep the frost off. It's really started growing like crazy since then.  I suspect you might want to bring it inside during your winter... 😂 😂 

My dad said it took 10 years to produce fruit because it was started from a seed and not grafted.  I have smaller, grafted 3ft tree that was planted last year and already bore fruit. 

Screenshot_20210818-234409.png

16293559817722.jpg

Edited by Vurge
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2