Samone

520xi vs 270h

Samone

I found 2 tractor I'm interested in buying. 

First let me give a summary of their intended uses:

I just bought a house on 1 acre of land. It is not flat and has many medium to low degree slopes. Primarily I am interested in its mowing ability, but also tilling and snow blowing possibilties. 

Now to the tractors....

The first I found was a 520 xi kohler 20 h.p. engine with 380 hrs. Comes with deck and trailer. 

I talked the seller down to $1800.

The second is a 270h kohler 20 h.p. engine with 73 hrs. Comes with Deck. Seller asking $850.

Both may go soon would appreciate quick response. Thanks!

Handy Don

My 2¢.

Ask yourself what the extra $1,000 gets and if its worth it.

The hours difference isn't all that big a deal if both were maintained.

The Xi is all around heavier and sturdier and larger. It can handle a large 2-stage blower (though they are not real common and can be pricey). If memory serves, power steering. It takes more room in the garage/shed. 

The 270 will do a good job as a mower and be adequate with a modest blower.

Is there somewhere else in your life that $1000 would be well spent?

Edited by Handy Don

EricF

The 270H is a lawn tractor, probably a bit better built than the typical box-store specials these days, but still a lawn tractor.
The 520xi is a serious garden tractor. Very capable, and can handle ground-engaging attachments (such as tillers) as well as larger, heavy-duty mower decks.

If it were me, I'd jump at the 520xi for handling a plot like yours. That's what it's made for.

The xi series isn't as well-known as the more "classic" Wheel Horse garden tractors, but it's the most modern series ever made and has quite its own following here.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Get your pick up or trailer and pick up the 520  Good price and worth the money. MY :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  I'll agree with the other comments.  The 520xi is built for heavier service than the 270h.

Samone

Thanks for your input! 

Im new to this forum and wheel horses but it looks like I'm here to stay now. Already arranged to pick up 520 and got the price a little lower.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Good choice!

And :text-welcomeconfetti:

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

Darb1964

You got one hell of a deal, I had the opportunity to get some seat time on one a week or so ago. They are a great tractor, I see one in my future.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• morePEdal
      By morePEdal
      416-8 with Onan P216 Engine
      The good:
      *576 hours
      *Nice, clean deck (42”)
      *Nice Plow
      *Wheel Weights
      *Chains
      *2nd owner. 1st owner sold the house in 2020 and said he was getting too old so he included it with the house.
      *Original receipts and paperwork and manuals.
      *Receipt showing tune-up and changing from the deck to the plow in November 2021
      The bad:
      *The last time it was used was the winter of ‘21/‘22. It is currently set up with the plow.
      *Had trouble starting, when it started, it died after 4-5 seconds. He had a portable charger and it helped. We got it running, but when I turned it down to idle, it died. 
      *I didn’t get a chance to test drive it because of this.
      *One front tire goes flat fast, one rear tire has a slow leak.
      *He is going to buy a battery before I look at it again on Friday so I can test drive it.
      What do you think is the issue? Is it the battery or fuel system?
      Do you have a way to verify what year this is with the ID number and serial number? Also, the ID number of the deck. I’ll upload pictures of the stickers.
      *He says his driveway has an incline so snow and ice would pool around his door opening so he got tired of his wheels spinning. He decided to pay for plow service. (Home is big and nice with a lot of land.) He also decided to get a zero-turn mower so that’s why this 416-8 wasn’t used since after winter ‘21/‘22.
      He’s asking $500.

• robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      By robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      After using my 8-25 mower successfully for several years I noticed the belts were very worn. I replaced the belts and used the mower several mowings this past summer with no problems until as I was mowing the last time the mower would not move in any gear. After stopping and inspecting the traction belt it was almost completely destroyed. Prior to this I had noticed that the engage/disengage lever was getting hard to activate (very stiff). Has anyone had a similar thing happen?
      Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.
      Just want to keep my mower running.
      Chris
    • MachXXII
      By MachXXII
      I’m trying to restore my grandfathers old 252-H to use around my property. The tires are shot and the rims aren’t too far behind. Anyone have any recommendations for rims and tires that would fit well on it? 

right now it has 22 x 7.50 - 12 on the back and 15 x 6 - 6 on the front.
    • 87buickt
      By 87buickt
      Newb here, recently purchased a b310 that now runs with snow thrower, plow, and mower deck for what I believe to be a good deal for $200. My question to all y’all gurus is what am I missing for my snow thrower attachment? I’d like to get it squared away before winter I know I’m going to need a belt and chain any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Redcube
      By Redcube
      I need help Identifying my wheelhorse tractor model number 105109 I don't know how to read it