John2189

Honda gxv390

John2189

Hi does the tab you ground to stop the engine make electric when the engine runs?   My hrc7013 mower has an hour meter that does work. The engine  does not have charging coils under the flywheel. Where does it get its power?

WHX??

It's got a magneto that provides the spark. the tab grounds out that magneto killing the engine. 

• Like 1

John2189
18 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

It's got a magneto that provides the spark. the tab grounds out that magneto killing the engine. 

Thanks I know that. It has an hour gauge that works. It has no electrical system. Where does the hour gauge get it’s power?

WHX??

It may have a a button battery or run off the inductance created by the plug wire. If it displays while the engine is stopped it has a button battery. 

• Like 1

oldlineman

It would have to pick operating power from running engine so that it records running time.   

John2189
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

It may have a a button battery or run off the inductance created by the plug wire. If it displays while the engine is stopped it has a button battery. 

This is 20 years old, I’m sure that a button battery would be dead by now.  Plus it is the type of gauge that the number turn. 

John2189
1 hour ago, oldlineman said:

It would have to pick operating power from running engine so that it records running time.   

Ok where does it get the power from? Only wire that goes to the dashboard is the kill wire from the magneto