briankd

K-301 idle issue

briankd

used my C-120 today to haul some stuff and it sat and idle a bit . while idling it would die like running out of gas . It has new carb. coil and points are new if you caught it before it dies and open throttle it will take off and be ok . just acts like this at an idle . sounds like a fuel issue to me any opinions ? 

this is a china carb i believe came from I save tractors . i was going to pull the idle screw and main screw and put some carb cleaner to it but not done it yet  

pfrederi

If it used to run OK then you have a dirt issue.  Some of us have never gotten Chinc carbs to run well others have....

8ntruck

My 14-8 no name was doing that last year.  I backed the idle mixture screw out 1/2 a turn and that seemed to solve the issue.  Could also be a dirt issue.  You say it is a new carb, but how is the fit of the throttle shaft fit in its bore?  A leak there can throw the idle off.

• Like 2

953 nut

It is never a good thing to let a splash lubricated, air cooled engine sit at idle for very long, Insufficient cooling and lubrication will kill the engine. Did you go through the steps in the Kohler manual to set the high speed and low speed adjustments?

• Like 2

briankd
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Did you go through the steps in the Kohler manual to set the high speed and low speed adjustments?

no but i need to when i get time . I am in the process of remodeling my house was using this with the trailer to haul junk to a roll off dumpster .  

may be awhile before i can deal with this my thoughts are dirt or carb issue . i did try to adj idle screw on carb ran great but still had the dyeing issue at idle . thought maybe not enough gas to carb at idle but at higher rpm the fuel pump may pump more gas . maybe a fuel pump issue at idle ?  

briankd

messed around with this pulled the idle and high speed jet out sprayed carb cleaner down holes . sprayed carb cleaner down the throat of carb . readjusted per the kouler specs seemed to do the trick ran around yard 10 min and ran fine. guess might been dirt in there 

• Excellent 1