Oldcpecdr

The wood pile groweth

ebinmaine

Awesome to be prepared.

Trina and I are already a little bit ahead for next year and this is the first time we've been that way.

Snow is melting quickly around here so we should be able to get back in the forest within maybe a couple weeks?

Got about 15 trees laid down already so they're not taking sap. Going to section them up and bring them to the drying area out in the front yard.

• Like 5

The Tuul Crib

Nice!!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Mike I hear you on that! But I am finding out THINK  before you do save on ackey joints and back. Nice C160?

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Awesome to be prepared.

Trina and I are already a little bit ahead for next year and this is the first time we've been that way.

Snow is melting quickly around here so we should be able to get back in the forest within maybe a couple weeks?

Got about 15 trees laid down already so they're not taking sap. Going to section them up and bring them to the drying area out in the front yard.

Eric do thin out trees in an area and replant? Or let nature do it.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

Oldcpecdr
4 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Mike I hear you on that! But I am finding out THINK  before you do save on ackey joints and back. Nice C160?

Half of a C160,,, it is my trusty Winter Plow Horse an auto B80...just runs and runs and runs....

Mike B

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Eric do thin out trees in an area and replant? Or let nature do it.

We have around 11 acres.

Given careful selection in an average Forest you can take approximately one cord per acre per year, forever.

We are lucky enough to have a forest that is about 70% beech. That regrows on its own right from the stumps or neighboring roots.

We have good tractor access to probably eight or nine of those 11 acres, maybe more.

We look for broken trees. Those are harvested first.

We look for unhealthy trees.

We look for areas of the forest that need to be cleaned out or pruned, if you will.

This Forest wasn't logged for quite a long time. 3 or 4 decades, possibly longer.

We've been doing this for 4 or 5 years now and barely begun to scratch the surface.

• Excellent 1

Stormin

Nice load of logs there, Mike. :handgestures-thumbup: I wish I had a few acres of forest. Fortunately I have a friend who and brought me a free trailer load yesterday. I just need to cut and log it.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We have around 11 acres.

Given careful selection in an average Forest you can take approximately one cord per acre per year, forever.

We are lucky enough to have a forest that is about 70% beech. That regrows on its own right from the stumps or neighboring roots.

We have good tractor access to probably eight or nine of those 11 acres, maybe more.

We look for broken trees. Those are harvested first.

We look for unhealthy trees.

We look for areas of the forest that need to be cleaned out or pruned, if you will.

This Forest wasn't logged for quite a long time. 3 or 4 decades, possibly longer.

We've been doing this for 4 or 5 years now and barely begun to scratch the surface.

Good info Eric.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1