Herder

This is going to be good!!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 7

Maxwell-8

that are the most beefy hubs i have ever seen on  a WH

• Like 6

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

I know you can buy a C-195.... but not here in the UK - and besides, what’s the fun in buying when you can make your own :D

so starting with a gearbox and frame - I’m adding the bits. Big front wheels and GT-14 rears. 

87B1D0AF-6858-463F-9C72-CF8D027E01EB.jpeg

407F5719-6220-4767-A660-715C5C137620.jpeg

Wheel horses are far between in my state. When you do find one its alot of $$$. I'm a firm believer in making what you want/need. I have had lots of fun with my projects. Looks like you have some nice parts to work with. I cant wait to see how this comes out.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

JoeM

I love that shop....just like mine worked in! :handgestures-thumbup::handgestures-thumbup:

My neighbor once said "this place is a mess", yeah I know yours is clean and neat, he said, "i know but there is never anything going on in mine". I always got three things going on, kind of get board, work a little on another. 

Going to be sweet build.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Lee1977
52 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

I know you can buy a C-195.... but not here in the UK - and besides, what’s the fun in buying when you can make your own :D

so starting with a gearbox and frame - I’m adding the bits. Big front wheels and GT-14 rears. 

87B1D0AF-6858-463F-9C72-CF8D027E01EB.jpeg

407F5719-6220-4767-A660-715C5C137620.jpeg

Are you going to remove the rear cross bar are add an extinction for the transmission mount. I put 25 x 9 x  my 312-8 and there is room for much larger with out modifications.

SAM-1001.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Mark, that looks fantastic !!   Love your shop, but don't ever drop a detente ball on the floor.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 4

JCM

Nice weld.  :handgestures-thumbup:   Always had a thing for those C-195's, just never came across one. 

Edited by JCM
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Mark, that looks fantastic !!   Love your shop, but don't ever drop a detente ball on the floor.  :occasion-xmas:

I believe that would be a lost who be doobie ball there.....

@meadowfield

Really looking forward to this one sir. 

36 minutes ago, JCM said:

Nice weld.  :handgestures-thumbup:   Always had a thing for those C-195's, just never came across one. 

if it makes you feel any better I'll let you drive Colossus when Trina ever gets it done...

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JCM
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

if it makes you feel any better I'll let you drive Colossus when Trina ever gets it done...    I don't like to take any attention from this thread but I hope Trina never reads this because I am worried some weekend when you and I are camping at your place and we are sitting around the fire pit she may hook up the Cargo Pro trailer to the colossus with Patti and Meeha and take off down the mountain without us and go camping somewhere else . Oh well, we still got cinnamon and a whole slew of Marroon stripe WH's left. On a lighter note if anyone is interested in one of the nicest C-195's ever check out Wheel Horse picture gallery under WH of the month February 2013 and check out @buckrancher entry. Once I saw that I figured my 312-8 entry was dead in the water. 

• Haha 2

Pollack Pete

OK,the suspense is killing me.What's going to power that tractor?Maybe a diesel? Would be cool.

Jeff-C175

That's a right nice looking bead!

image.png.8fc41b24f605df47a5faaa50c8b7809a.png

That's not ALL of it though, or is it?   You going to fill in the holes I imagine?

• Like 3

Pullstart

Awesome start, Mark!  That reminds me... I have some GT-14/953 hubs to sell!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JCM said:

I hope Trina never reads this because I am worried some weekend when you and I are camping at your place and we are sitting around the fire pit she may hook up the Cargo Pro trailer to the colossus with Patti and Meeha and take off down the mountain without us and go camping somewhere else

We're going to have to make sure that this is not brought to her attention. 

Hahahahaha

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

I have an old beat 445 Ford backhoe. We never noticed it, but right from the factory, the center was improperly welded to the wheel rim until one day,she broke loose and et all the air out big time.. we cut away the old rim and then gingerly ground the bits away until the center tightly fit a new rim.  We did not know exactly how to make sure the thing would square up to the axle, and then the idea hit to just raise the side up with the backhoe and spin the tire with the transmission in gear into an indicator tip made from a piece of rebar weighted to a concrete block.   Well, I'll tell you what, she is more squared up than the other OEM factory wheel.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

I love that shop....just like mine worked in! :handgestures-thumbup::handgestures-thumbup:

My neighbor once said "this place is a mess",

😂😂

heared that also sometimes.

I allway’s answered them - it is definitely not a mess, it is a constructive inspirational Chaos, that is a big difference.

Cool Projects

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
35 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

she is more squared up than the other OEM factory wheel.

And... you compensated for the runout of the hub and the bend in the axle too!  :ychain::ychain::hide:

• Haha 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's a right nice looking bead!

image.png.8fc41b24f605df47a5faaa50c8b7809a.png

That's not ALL of it though, or is it?   You going to fill in the holes I imagine?

Actually, if you had enough press fit between the disc and rim, the holes won't hurt anything.  The speeds and loads the wheel will see in garden tractor service aren't that high, and the failure mode (if it ever does) will be a crack through the rim causing air loss.  Well, they would create a place for dirt/grunge to collect and start a rust spot.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

the holes won't hurt anything. 

That wasn't really my concern though.

I would not trust a single weld on the leading edge of that flange.

That weld is going to crack, sooner or later.  In fact, I think I already see a crack:

image.png.1fa5864690f1bcd8974c5b7fbe9ae075.png

Then, there's the appearance aspect.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That wasn't really my concern though.

I would not trust a single weld on the leading edge of that flange.

That weld is going to crack, sooner or later.  In fact, I think I already see a crack:

image.png.1fa5864690f1bcd8974c5b7fbe9ae075.png

Then, there's the appearance aspect.

Good catch!  Certainly a crack but a good time to fix it.

• Like 2

8ntruck

Yup, that is a crack.  That one will grow towards the center of the wheel.  It will grow more quickly when the wheel is subjected to side forces - like when turning a corner.

If all you ever did was drive in a straight line, it might not grow at all.

For use on a garden tractor, a good repair would be to vee the crack, then run a weld bead in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

meadowfield

thanks for the comments so far guys,

re: the crack - there are small stress cracks on the tight bends as the centre was pressed. It's a thick piece and heavier than it looks. Rather than make it look welded I left them as is as they were probably shipped that way. 

As for welding along that edge, I have a few sets of wheels that were assembled and welded in the same place. In particular the rear wheels on my 4x4 which are 12x12 and I had to move the centres. I cut the original weld and just moved the centre. Now that horse has been up and down stairs, through creeks, even rock crawling, so I trust my weld :D 

Love the attention to detail though.

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 9

Stormin

Good to see your building something again Mark. I'll have to have a run over when things improve. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 3

meadowfield
15 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

OK,the suspense is killing me.What's going to power that tractor?Maybe a diesel? Would be cool.

not sure yet, I've some special things going on in the transmission department first :D 

• Like 2