Oldskool

A Horse named Hiram

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

I am not saying it's true in this case, but.....every once in a while it is sometimes hard to determine which end is which. Again, let me clarify. It's a rare, but distinct phenomenon.

Well let me put it to you this way....

Remember in the old days when a child was born the doctor would take it out and smack it on the tushy and give it to the mom?

doc couldn't figure out.....

• Haha 4

Oldskool

One more part roughed in. Onto the next.

20210318_142226.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Cup holder maybe four or five inches deep?

ebinmaine

If you're going to use that for glass you may want to put a little piece of cork on top of the transmission

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you're going to use that for glass you may want to put a little piece of cork on top of the transmission

Good idea. There will be a bottom in it but what bottom couldnt use a bit of cushion. It will mostly be a can in that holder though.

• Haha 1

Oldskool
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Cup holder maybe four or five inches deep?

3in deep.

• Like 1

Oldskool

I'm ready for 1 wheel to go on. The rear wheels wont be quite as easy.

20210318_172619.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Is there a comprehensive list of all wheel horse hood decals somewhere?. I have a design in my head for this build but if there is already one in production I wont bother having some custom made.

ebinmaine

You can check in the picture section but that would be kind of time consuming. Another option would be to contact Terry the vinyl guy directly. @Vinylguy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You can check in the picture section but that would be kind of time consuming. Another option would be to contact Terry the vinyl guy directly. @Vinylguy

I looked on the internet for a bit. There is something close but not quite the same. I'm sure there were some that didnt come up in the search as well. Im also curious as to what model this is/was/or would be when done. Just to have a proper decal for the belt cover.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I looked on the internet for a bit. There is something close but not quite the same. I'm sure there were some that didnt come up in the search as well. Im also curious as to what model this is/was/or would be when done. Just to have a proper decal for the belt cover.

Well back in the mid-60s which is what that hood came from the model number if it was on the belt cover would have been 1965 or 1966.

So you've got a 16 horse, high low transmission which would have been a 6-speed back then. But as you know is referred to an 8-speed later. And that is of course what you have.

The first character or two was the engine horsepower. The next character was the transmission designation.

A five would have been a three-speed, a six would have been a 6-speed, a seven would have been an automatic.

And the last character would have been the year that it was built.

So if you wanted to produce the actual model number by what you actually have it would either be 1685 or 1686.

• Like 1

Oldskool
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well back in the mid-60s which is what that hood came from the model number if it was on the belt cover would have been 1965 or 1966.

So you've got a 16 horse, high low transmission which would have been a 6-speed back then. But as you know is referred to an 8-speed later. And that is of course what you have.

The first character or two was the engine horsepower. The next character was the transmission designation.

A five would have been a three-speed, a six would have been a 6-speed, a seven would have been an automatic.

And the last character would have been the year that it was built.

So if you wanted to produce the actual model number by what you actually have it would either be 1685 or 1686.

So wouldnt that make it a 1665 or 1666 if back in the 60s the 6 speed was a 6 before it was redesignated an 8 speed?

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

So wouldnt that make it a 1665 or 1666 if back in the 60s the 6 speed was a 6 before it was redesignated an 8 speed?

Yes sir.

There is a physical difference in the location of the brake drum between a 6-speed and an 8-speed but as far as going by year availability of model numbers, you are correct.

Oldskool
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

There is a physical difference in the location of the brake drum between a 6-speed and an 8-speed 

What's the difference?

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

What's the difference?

@stevasaurus could explain it a little bit better than I.

A three or six speed has the brake drum on a different shaft than a four or eight speed. One of them is closer to the axle but I can't remember which.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The 3 & 6 speed transmissions have the brake drum on the 11/44 mushroom gear. (hole closest to the rear axle housing)  The 4 & 8 speeds have the brake drum on the cluster gear shaft.  (the next hole toward the front of the trans)  The holes in the case half are the same size.  The cap bearing and the needle bearing would change places.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool

Maybe I should repower with this? Just picked this up today.

20210319_155827.jpg

20210319_160436.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Maybe I should repower with this? Just picked this up today.

20210319_155827.jpg

20210319_160436.jpg

@Stepney

• Like 1

Stepney

Briggs WMB in Sears/Economy clothes. The tank isn't quite right but that's a washing machine engine. The cap screw with the holes in the exhaust was originally part of an elbow, and the flexible hose for the muffler went off of that, through the window, and outside of where the machine was located. Chock cap seems to be there but you are missing the needle valve for the carb. 
I have the exact same engine, burns more oil than gas and I use it to smoke mice and other critters out of the shed and holes around the yard. 

It's rated 1/2hp on it's best day, you can stall it with a leather glove. But it'll run a small water pump or a compressor. Or a washer, if you're crazy like me. Or a small ice cream churn.. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Or a small ice cream churn.

:icecream:

• Haha 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Or a small ice cream churn.. 

Yum! Ice cream.....

• Haha 2

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, Stepney said:

It's rated 1/2hp on it's best day, you can stall it with a leather glove. But it'll run a small water pump or a compressor. Or a washer, if you're crazy like me. Or a small ice cream churn.. 

Maybe power for my 

Hawthorne bicycle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepney
Just now, Oldskool said:

Maybe power for my 

Hawthorne bicycle 

Friend of mine had a very similar WMB on a Columbia Rambler, worked pretty slick. It's almost a twin to the Whizzer motor bike engines. Those engines are about as common as an old boot at the swap meets. I know I dont have a carb but a friend up in Farmington has a bucket with some in it. I'll grab one next time I visit unless you find one first. It's an odd shaped screw with a very fine thread. It's a pot metal carb, be gentle with it. The throttle is a 'drum' inside and rotates instead of a butterfly.. again, be gentle. I'm not sure there's anything else quite small enough to replace it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
14 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Friend of mine had a very similar WMB on a Columbia Rambler, worked pretty slick. It's almost a twin to the Whizzer motor bike engines. Those engines are about as common as an old boot at the swap meets. I know I dont have a carb but a friend up in Farmington has a bucket with some in it. I'll grab one next time I visit unless you find one first. It's an odd shaped screw with a very fine thread. It's a pot metal carb, be gentle with it. The throttle is a 'drum' inside and rotates instead of a butterfly.. again, be gentle. I'm not sure there's anything else quite small enough to replace it.

That would be great. It would be nice to do something with it

• Like 2

Oldskool

Front tires are mounted. 

20210320_160145.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1