Oldskool

A Horse named Hiram

Mickwhitt

We see a lot of stainless steel  panels with engine turning on fast food trailers. Somehow it makes the plane surfaces seem much more engineered than if they were left shiny. 

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

We see a lot of stainless steel  panels with engine turning on fast food trailers. Somehow it makes the plane surfaces seem much more engineered than if they were left shiny. 

It definitely adds a bit of bling. I think to the average eye it just looks stronger/ textured? I've always liked the looks of it. Until I looked at a video of how to do it I always thought it was much more involved. Not saying it isnt to a point but it can be pulled off by just about anybody.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Yes its absolutely do able for anyone with a drill and some patience. 

I agree it does look stronger somehow. 

• Like 3

Oldskool

Any thoughts on what size engine pulley for the 16hp I should be putting on? I know with running the bigger 28in tire on back I loose torque and gain speed but I would like to gear back closer to original. I'm not sure what the original would have been to match up with the 8 speed to even make an uneducated guess.

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Any thoughts on what size engine pulley for the 16hp I should be putting on? I know with running the bigger 28in tire on back I loose torque and gain speed but I would like to gear back closer to original. I'm not sure what the original would have been to match up with the 8 speed to even make an uneducated guess.

Original pulley size on a standard 8-speed C series tractor would have been 6" transmission, 4" on the engine. 

Going from what would have been a 23 tire up to a 28 you're going to gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 or 20% in size. That's about like getting another gear.

So your top speed is going to go from somewhere in the neighborhood of 6, 6.5 up to about 7.5  give or take...

If you're going to be really requiring first gear to be low and slow you could either leave it alone and use low gear or you could knock down to about a 3 inch engine pulley.

• Thanks 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Original pulley size on a standard 8-speed C series tractor would have been 6" transmission, 4" on the engine. 

Going from what would have been a 23 tire up to a 28 you're going to gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 or 20% in size. That's about like getting another gear.

So your top speed is going to go from somewhere in the neighborhood of 6, 6.5 up to about 7.5  give or take...

If you're going to be really requiring first gear to be low and slow you could either leave it alone and use low gear or you could knock down to about a 3 inch engine pulley.

How slow are these in 1st gear low range WOT.?

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

How slow are these in 1st gear low range WOT.?

.6 or so

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Reverse is just a hair faster.

.8 maybe

• Like 1

Oldskool
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Reverse is just a hair faster.

.8 maybe

Good nuff,stock pulley it is then. Thanks

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’m a little behind, as always...but I can’t much tell Poppy’s responsiveness with just 7 hp between 6-12’s or 27x7.50-12’s or 26x12-12’s.  

:text-+1: vote for stock will be fine.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

I have managed to get a start on the belt guard. I think the next thing is the console cover.

20210317_135017.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Oldskool

Things are closing in a bit. The other side cover is lengthened.

20210317_143609.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I like what you doing with all that

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I like what you doing with all that

Thanks. I think its going to serve its purpose quite well.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Man you move along... :auto-layrubber:

Looking good!

:clap:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

Man you move along... :auto-layrubber:

Looking good!

:clap:

Thanks. I wanna ride lol

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

That looks fantastic.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Lookin’ good!  Question...  since you built the frame and things seem a bit longer than most,  what dimensions are you following for the foot rest bar?  Did you push them forward, or keep the same distance from the rear end?  My short legs, I am on the stretch to reach stirrups most times :hide:

• Like 2

Oldskool
55 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Lookin’ good!  Question...  since you built the frame and things seem a bit longer than most,  what dimensions are you following for the foot rest bar?  Did you push them forward, or keep the same distance from the rear end?  My short legs, I am on the stretch to reach stirrups most times :hide:

All the dimensions of the frame are based on the long frame. 45.5in wheel base. It seems longer with the short frame sheet metal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

All the dimensions of the frame are based on the long frame. 45.5in wheel base. It seems longer with the short frame sheet metal 

Gotcha!  I didn’t realize it was a short hood :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Gregor
On 3/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, OldWorkHorse said:

Sounds like a fitting name for a horse :handgestures-thumbupright:

A fitting name for which end of the horse? :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

Oldskool
42 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Gotcha!  I didn’t realize it was a short hood :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ya just a hodge podge of stuff. A short frame is to short for me to be comfortable 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
53 minutes ago, Gregor said:

A fitting name for which end of the horse? :laughing-rolling:

Given the fact that some of these parts came from my house I'd have to say it's the back end of the horse.....

• Haha 1

Gregor
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Given the fact that some of these parts came from my house I'd have to say it's the back end of the horse.....

I am not saying it's true in this case, but.....every once in a while it is sometimes hard to determine which end is which. Again, let me clarify. It's a rare, but distinct phenomenon.

• Haha 2