jakester

unknown electrical componant

jakester

hello all I'm a new owner of a 312-8 tractor, have starting problems, came across a very small, what I believe is a relay between the battery and the dash,its about 2/3rd size of a cube of sugar silver on the outside blue on top with a hole bout the size of a pea, theres 6 pins with wires connected to it on the bottom do not know what this is any thoughts? I cannot determine the exact year of this machine for there is no tag anywhere only tag on engine kohler magnum md #m12s   ser# 170370459  spec#  471527  I figure its mid to late 80s to early 90s. of all the wiring diagrams ive looked at it does not show any thing like what I just described also can that little circuit board be removed that's like a test point for idiot lights? any help would be appreciated  jeff

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

There is one number missing in your engine serial number but if the first 2 digits are 17 Kohler made your engine in 1987.

That should make your tractor

1987 312-8 model 21-12K804 or

1988 312-8 model 21-12K805

Sounds like you are describing the early style of low oil relay with a metal cover. Later on a replacement would be smaller and have a black plastic cover.

Yes the circuit board can be removed and it will have no affect on the rest of the wiring or how the tractor operates.

If the board and lights work and the tractor will not start it should indicate which circuit is preventing the start.

If you need to remove the low oil float switch from the base of the engine there are special instructions on how to do it without damaging the switch. This switch controls the starter - low oil and the starter will not run.

Garry

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Jake.       Looks like Garry has you covered.         The tractor ID tag should be on the left side of the  fender pan under the seat.

Tell us a little history of yourself and the 312-8.             We like   :text-coolphotos:

953 nut

:WRS:

As Garry has said you have a 1987 model.  What color are the wires coming from the item you are looking at? We don't want to change or remove any components until we figure out what is working and what isn't

Please be a little more specific when you say you are having starting problems. Was this problem already existing when you bought the 312 or is it a new problem? When you turn the key to start what dose or doesn't happen? Is the engine oil level up to the full mark? Is the battery fully charged? Presuming the battery is charged if you take a screwdriver and connect the two large terminals of the solenoid dose the starter turn over? Presuming the starter turns over take a small wire from the battery "+" terminal to the small solenoid terminal that has a blue wire connected to it, dose the starter turn over?

solenoid.jpg.0d93397ac3fd35eab8c4d4d60c1af0e7.jpg

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

jakester

bought this from a guy few weeks ago, its in very nice shape, the engine shroud is half off cause he was putting a new coil on but never finished, cut fuel line for it had water in tank from sitting outside for a while, engine cranks when jump battery to starter, all wiring looks intact except for that little thing which one wire loose from it, getting frustrated trying to figure out which model I have there is nothing anywhere which tells me what it is. only the decal on the engine. been to cold here to mess around with it much I live in south east mich. as for me I am 62, retired  and I bought this soley to plow snow for the toro snowblower is to hard on my hands from the vibration, being I have carpel tunnel have a plow lined up for it, use to run an old sears tractor my dad had to keep driveway clear back in 60s and 70s, that thing was built like a tank, had an 8 horse Tecumseh that would not quit. I would like to upload pix of that thing I was telling you about, but my smart phone savvy is not that good, will have son or daughter help me with that!! thanks for any help   jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Wiring diagram same for 1987-88

Garry

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎 :rs:

:wwp: !

953 nut
10 hours ago, jakester said:

hard on my hands from the vibration, being I have carpel tunnel

I feel your pain, literally. I had the carpel tunnel release surgery done a couple years back, made a big difference in my lifestyle.

When your weather improves and you are ready to dive into this project we are here to help. Meanwhile you can surf threads on here about electrical repairs and other issues.

jakester

as for the picture of the solenoid there is two large terminals on top and one small one  below the large one on the right if your looking at it like the picture above. how many safety switches are on this model?

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: from Mid-West Michigan!  You’ll enjoy this for snow duty, even if we don’t have any until later in the year!  I know, likely wishful thinking over here... but I’m ready for Tractor Show Season!

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to  :rs:

953 nut
8 hours ago, jakester said:

as for the picture of the solenoid there is two large terminals on top and one small one  below the large one on the right if your looking at it like the picture above. how many safety switches are on this model?

There are three safety switches on your tractor. The clutch switch will prevent the starter from turning over if then clutch is not depressed. The seat switch will stop the engine from running if the operator is not in the seat while the PTO is on. The PTO Switch has two functions, it prevents the starter from turning if the PTO is on and it stop the engine if it is on and no operator in the seat.

There is also a low oil level switch in the engine which operates that silver relay, if the oil level is low it will activate the relay and prevent the starter from turning.

This drawing is from our electrical demystification guide and shows the wiring with all switches in the correct position for starting. 

Hope this is helpful.

1256949291_Screenshot(71).png.4cacb0361c597c722ac4cf58430d98be.png