Greentored

2021 ‘gardening bug’ thread

Greentored

@ebinmaine  1/2 row of sugar daddys and 1 1/2 rows of sugar snaps:handgestures-thumbupleft:  

Onions are just 'bunching' and I have no clue what I grabbed for beets and rutabagas- they looked pretty on the seed packs:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greentored

Update:  snap peas are going nuts- already had to tie on a second row of string to hold them up! Taters are also going nuts.  Rutabagas coming along slowly but surely, and starting to see some beets poke through.  Bunch onions may have gotten zapped a bit by the untimely frost a couple weeks ago- theyre slow but trying.

There is a 50ft well on the property that dried up 10 years ago during a nasty, long drought. It has water up to within 15ft of the top, so decided to give it a try. A 530ft well is next to it and feeds the house now. I purchased a submersible well pump, piped it in to a spigot, and wired it up to a 7 day timer in the good well house, then attached the hose to a mean oscillating sprinkler. Now my veggies can get water even when i'm not there. Currently set on 12 minutes every other day. Once things get established more, itll be about 30-45 minutes twice weekly for a deep soak.

The amendments to the soil last fall have certainly helped- I can actually hammer a stake into the ground without breaking it haha.

21gar1.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

We've got a few things starting to poke through. I guess I better get some pictures before I get a bunch of grief about it.

:lol:

• Haha 2

Andy N.

This will make the clay dirt fellas jealous. It practically tills itself. This is the 3rd year for this garden plot and the dirt gets easier to work every year. Got to love the midwest soil.

Started planting today. Got sweet corn, onions, and some greens planted today. Also the garlic that I planted last fall and the annual rhubarb that was planted before we bought this house are doing well.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
On 5/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, Andy N. said:

practically tills itself

Looks like it!!!

:lol:

Here's the gardens as of this weekend. 

IMG_20210516_171553899.jpg.196e1c59fad39aa49f11f0c7e4e10388.jpg

IMG_20210516_171542564.jpg.a721ea2d35091be196e0879b9a1bfc13.jpg

With a bonus wildflower pic. 

1621201763436_IMG_20210516_171717864.jpg.0474b9beceef8b23795339ead7bceb96.jpg

• Like 3

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

With a bonus wildflower pic. 

1621201763436_IMG_20210516_171717864.jpg.0474b9beceef8b23795339ead7bceb96.jpg

What are they?  Beautiful, but what are they called?

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Trina believes it to be bugleweed. 

Grows wild here but seeds can be purchased. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here's the gardens as of this weekend. 

Great idea having those Blacksnakes in there guarding the beds. They'll keep the varmit's that eat vegetables out.:lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Great idea having those Blacksnakes in there guarding the beds. They'll keep the varmit's that eat vegetables out.:lol:

I wish we had more actual snakes. They aren't exactly common here for some reason. 

Those hoses are pretty cool. I'd heard of seeping hoses before but never seen one til she picked them up. 

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Those hoses are pretty cool

Yeah, and they save a lot of water...lets the ground soak it up before it just runs away...

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Andy N.

Got the vermin fence up and electrified this morning and got the garden weeded and tilled right before the afternoon thunderstorms arrived. It is coming along nicely.

Guess the mowing will have to wait until tomorrow.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 3

Daron1965
On 6/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, Andy N. said:

Got the vermin fence up and electrified this morning and got the garden weeded and tilled right before the afternoon thunderstorms arrived. It is coming along nicely.

Guess the mowing will have to wait until tomorrow.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

Garden looks good.  That corn sure does look good.  Our corn is just breaking through. We got a late start.   

• Like 2

Andy N.

Andy N.

Garden update photos.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

• Like 3

Greentored

Update: has been awhile.

The snap peas once again did not disappoint. I harvested about 5lbs of red potatoes- a third of last years crop. The beets, rutabagas, bunch onions failed again. The marigolds at the row ends are barely even growing.

I changed sprinkler timer settings and made a mistake, the water ran for what I guess about 3 days, flooded the garden and ran the 50ft well dry. A week later the pump in my main home well decided to crap out, and it is 400ft down. Luckily the garden well refilled in a few days, and I am back feeding the home from the pump house spigot, tied into the garden well, until I have the energy to pull the main pump and replace.

Disappointment s an understatement but is to be expected since I am only there once a week lately. I have decided to call it quits until (if ever) I am there on a daily basis to take care of things.

In the mean time, it will be a fun play area for Hoss to jerk the plow around.

• Like 4

Andy N.

July 24 update. More zucchini, squash, and cucumbers than we know what to do with. Sweet corn, peppers and tomatoes are almost ready. Should have some nice fall pumpkins as well.

And 1 sacrificial cucumber that decided to grow on both sides of the chicken wire.

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Andy N. said:

And 1 sacrificial cucumber that decided to grow on both sides of the chicken wire.

Lesson learned...be careful where you plant your cucumber ! :lol:

• Like 1

Andy N.

It's been a busy week for the garden! More to come......

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG