vmen84

B-100 oil change

vmen84

need instruction on how to change the  hydraulic oil and filter  in a 1974B 100 B 100. I know in a previous thread it was mentioned that it needs to be amber in color. Does it need to be drained the same 

way you would change the oil in the motor or would I just fill it back up in the oil compartment under the seat I'm assuming it would be 5W 30 sae oil as well? I was also wondering will I had to remove the world to get to the filter its self? I know the old saying goes the only wrong question is the one you don't ask. I'm just trying to make sure I don't mess anything up keep in mind this is the first time I've ever done anything like this myself so it seems to be a process. I wish they had instructional videos I tell you that much because I'm a visual person so this is going to be interesting.

squonk

If it's a hydro there is a 1/4" allen head drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Jack up the front to get all the oil out. Use a Napa 1410  or Wix 5140 filter and about 4.5 qts. of Mobil 1 10w30 or 10w40. DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER! 

• Like 3

pfrederi

The drain plug on the bottom of the tranny.  Circled.

drain.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

And in green, the reason why it’s advised to jack up the front as high as possible.  You’re trying to get all the old oil out from in front of that hump.

5033498A-125D-401B-9989-8D6E350C7980.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

vmen84

Do I need to change the filter every season or every other season and I'm assuming I would put oil inmount underneath the seat?

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, squonk said:

If it's a hydro there is a 1/4" allen head drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Jack up the front to get all the oil out. Use a Napa 1410  or Wix 5140 filter and about 4.5 qts. of Mobil 1 10w30 or 10w40. DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER! 

I've seen so many reviews and SO many FRAM products cut open that I'm having a very hard time putting the words FRAM and filter next to each other but I do feel some obligation to counter the HUGE amounts of advertising dollars FRAM spends to say that I don't think that FRAM makes filters, just containers that fit where a real filter should be.

• Like 2

vmen84

Could you use the dexron II transmission fluid because of the hydraulic system? in place of the 10w30 or 40?

rjg854

Use whatever was in there when you drained it. Never mix the two. You'll only have problems if you switch from oil to transmission oil. If the fluid is amber in color it's regular oil. If it looks red, it's transmission fluid.

• Like 1

vmen84

ok thanks thanks for the input. ill have to see and go from there

vmen84

I failed to mention that I'm one-handed so I only use one arm for everything I do Always looking for ways to do things easier. I've come up with two ideas I found this video on YouTube that I will post below if that's allowed? I also had this crazy idea then maybe I could use a Topsider vacuum pump just for the hydraulic transmission I'm not exactly sure if I could put the pump tubing in the spout underneath the seat or if I would have to do it from below? If I had to do it from below wouldn't gravity work against me? In a perfect world I would just be able to use the pump in the spout underneath the seat. This would be awesome if I could do this so I just thought I would ask you guys your thoughts on this I'm also going to post a video of the DIY oil change mechanism your thoughts are much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

krystolo
27 minutes ago, vmen84 said:

I failed to mention that I'm one-handed so I only use one arm for everything I do Always looking for ways to do things easier. I've come up with two ideas I found this video on YouTube that I will post below if that's allowed? I also had this crazy idea then maybe I could use a Topsider vacuum pump just for the hydraulic transmission I'm not exactly sure if I could put the pump tubing in the spout underneath the seat or if I would have to do it from below? If I had to do it from below wouldn't gravity work against me? In a perfect world I would just be able to use the pump in the spout underneath the seat. This would be awesome if I could do this so I just thought I would ask you guys your thoughts on this I'm also going to post a video of the DIY oil change mechanism your thoughts are much appreciated. 

Wow! What a great idea! No mess!

thanks for posting this thread. I’m a new WH owner and haven’t done a lot of maintenance myself. Something new to learn! Jumping in!

The Tuul Crib

We use vacuum to pull all the liquids out of our tractors and transmissions at work. It's so easy and you never have to worry about putting the drain plug back in or forgetting to!

vmen84

For example say if I didn't end up using the method in the video can I use the top side vacuum pump? Because I have one of those and I was thinking I could put it in the tube that's underneath the seat? The vacuum pump I'm talking about I got from Northern tool and I use it to change the oil in my car so I was just curious

vmen84
34 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Wow! What a great idea! No mess!

thanks for posting this thread. I’m a new WH owner and haven’t done a lot of maintenance myself. Something new to learn! Jumping in!

I always try to find reasonable ways around things and if it helps me and somebody else why not.

• Like 1