krystolo

Am I asking too much of a C160?

SPINJIM
26 minutes ago, krystolo said:

The back lift looks a little strange to me.  Is this the normal set up for the cable to attach to a ball hitch? Maybe something is broken?

No.  The lift cable should attach to a vertical arm on the hitch assembly, not to the ball.  Looks like the vertical arm is broken off.  Also, the cable is being routed through a pulley which is not original, but might be okay.   As @pullstart said, the pivot pin for the hitch is part way out;  check to see if something is broken.

Jim

• Like 1

Pullstart

I also noticed it looks like the front wheels are 6”.  8” wheels were stock on the front of those.  It lowers the front an inch or so, which could change geometry during mowing, etc.

• Like 1

pacer

While that tractor - C160 - is probably THE most highly thought of and is indeed a brute and that one appears to be a nice one...... but... I'm leaning toward what a couple others have said --- and that is, youre gonna be pushing it pretty hard.

I too would have to consider going to a 'SCUT' sized tractor with a front loader. Older model Yanmar, Mitsubishi, Kubota, etc are very plentiful, with implements out the gazoo for them. 

Took me about 5-6 months but I found a nice Mitsu 4wd with FEL and box blade for $4200.....

• Like 6

krystolo
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

My B I L and his wife have 4 horses Between manure and hay their JD compact is worked to it's limits. I have a C-160 and love it. But you're talking about a 50 odd year old tractor with a hydro transmission. I don't think it's a long term solution. How bout something like a Farmall Cub ?

Have considered something like a Cub, but with a $2000 budget, hard to find much that has the implements.  I'll keep looking, though! 

I'm about worked to my limits with all the manure!  Especially this year, which has been super rainy causing us to keep them stalled more.  Bucket after bucket...

krystolo
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I also noticed it looks like the front wheels are 6”.  8” wheels were stock on the front of those.  It lowers the front an inch or so, which could change geometry during mowing, etc.

I will check that out! I wonder if it would make it better for grading?  Seems that is what this fellow has been doing with it.

krystolo
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

Pictures would be a big help, but C160 would be my first choice...

And welcome to Red Square...

Thanks!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Hard to beat for the money especially considering the attachments.  Getting it will be a life changer for you.  Later, with all the time you've saved and additional accomplishments take some savings and buy a CUT and have yet another life changing event!

Seriously, if all that stuff is in good condition, and I don't mean pretty, just solid and showing signs of being cared for, GOT GET IT!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SPINJIM
Just now, krystolo said:

Have considered something like a Cub, but with a $2000 budget, hard to find much that has the implements.

Cubs around here go for about $1500, but without implements.  Used attachments are readily available separately.  

• Like 1

krystolo

There's also a 314 with 500 hrs, and a C-175  (one owner) in my area.  Both for about $750 without implements.  Either of those worth looking at? Or is the C160 the way to go?

Pullstart
32 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Have considered something like a Cub, but with a $2000 budget, hard to find much that has the implements.  I'll keep looking, though! 

I'm about worked to my limits with all the manure!  Especially this year, which has been super rainy causing us to keep them stalled more.  Bucket after bucket...

I’d be willing to bet a snow plow with some scoop wings would help shovel it away!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, krystolo said:

There's also a 314 with 500 hrs, and a C-175  (one owner) in my area.  Both for about $750 without implements.  Either of those worth looking at? Or is the C160 the way to go?

I'm leaning to all the attachments, but depending on conditions the other two could deserve a look as well.  There is an issue with the earlier Kohler 17hp but someone can help with that if you do consider it.  

I will point out that even with the Tach-Matic changing attachments gets old.  I doubt that many here have only one Wheel Horse.  Not sure what your budget is...

krystolo
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm leaning to all the attachments, but depending on conditions the other two could deserve a look as well.  There is an issue with the earlier Kohler 17hp but someone can help with that if you do consider it.  

I will point out that even with the Tach-Matic changing attachments gets old.  I doubt that many here have only one Wheel Horse.  Not sure what your budget is...

Haha!  I can see that this could become an addiction.  More horses in the barn!!

I'm thinking I'll mostly use the one of the blades, and the rest of the work will be pull behind trailer stuff or maybe the rake.  I won't need it for mowing.  Budget is $1500 right now.  Could save up for more attachments...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mikey the Monkey

If you use your $2000 budget and sell your zero turn, you could put quite a bit down on a SCUT with loader, mower. I have a Massey Ferguson SCUT. It has 4 wheel drive and power steering. You would never need to rent a skidsteer ever again. I'm sure you would thank the Good Lord everytime you used it. Also if you're a farm you could use depreciation every year to ease your tax burden. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance of a wheel horse in the horse pasture....just my rambling thoughts

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Haha!  I can see that this could become an addiction.  More horses in the barn!!

I'm thinking I'll mostly use the one of the blades, and the rest of the work will be pull behind trailer stuff or maybe the rake.  I won't need it for mowing.  Budget is $1500 right now.  Could save up for more attachments...

If snow removal is not an issue, at least not needing a blower, then that's one less WH needed.  I keep a dozer blade on all the time for snow and dirt and that unit does a lot of the hauling and can use any rear attachment that doesn't need a lifting hitch.  You'll want yet another WH if you want to use the rear clevis to lift.  If you aren't going to mow there's another WH not needed.  Not sure if you need the mid-mount, but if only occasionally then you can swap out the front and mid-mount in just a few.  Same with the plow if you are just going to use it a few days in the spring and then be done with it.  If you don't need to maintain the drive, roads and trails around the place then there certainly is a market for attachments you don't need.  I see serious use for at least two machines which you just might do if you can dicker a bit and then sell what you don't need.

Being on a farm I'm hoping you are pretty handy with tools, have several and hopefully at least a little welder. 

Pullstart

@krystolo Addiction?  Wheel Horses?  Naw!  Just a steep, slippery slope into Bliss!

BF7733DA-29E0-4403-B976-0D60DDBB7D1F.jpeg

852B63D2-D135-401F-8DCB-2953B0498536.jpeg

35C34029-1BD0-4505-AF25-6E9D34D9DC54.jpeg

35F1B26A-D439-4F0A-B402-04F60AA024D5.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

krystolo

@pullstart

I LOVE this!  So awesome to see the kiddos enjoying working with their hands!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, krystolo said:

@pullstart

I LOVE this!  So awesome to see the kiddos enjoying working with their hands!

In the big picture of the families, my girls are in the grey and pink plaid.  The little one especially, she loves getting into these!  @PeacemakerJack’s clan is an impressive bunch quite active in mechanical projects as well!

Here’s Rylee’s current (slow) project.  She’s building an RJ-58, hopeful plans are for her sister to build one identical (well, same tractor, but with her own touches)

• Heart 2

krystolo
40 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

If snow removal is not an issue, at least not needing a blower, then that's one less WH needed.  I keep a dozer blade on all the time for snow and dirt and that unit does a lot of the hauling and can use any rear attachment that doesn't need a lifting hitch.  You'll want yet another WH if you want to use the rear clevis to lift.  If you aren't going to mow there's another WH not needed.  Not sure if you need the mid-mount, but if only occasionally then you can swap out the front and mid-mount in just a few.  Same with the plow if you are just going to use it a few days in the spring and then be done with it.  If you don't need to maintain the drive, roads and trails around the place then there certainly is a market for attachments you don't need.  I see serious use for at least two machines which you just might do if you can dicker a bit and then sell what you don't need.

Being on a farm I'm hoping you are pretty handy with tools, have several and hopefully at least a little welder. 

We're ok handy with tools.  Have been keeping the old JD L110 alive and doing routine maintenance on it.  We fix most of the stuff around the farm ourselves.  No welder, but new toy and skill to learn!!

The only thing I can think of for the rear lift would be the rake, which we may or may not use.  I've never used one before, and not sure if it would be any better than the chain harrow tow- behind for the type of work we do.

• Like 1

krystolo

@pullstart  Wonderful!  So many memories being created.  And skills, too! Invaluable skills!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, krystolo said:

We're ok handy with tools.  Have been keeping the old JD L110 alive and doing routine maintenance on it.  We fix most of the stuff around the farm ourselves.  No welder, but new toy and skill to learn!!

The only thing I can think of for the rear lift would be the rake, which we may or may not use.  I've never used one before, and not sure if it would be any better than the chain harrow tow- behind for the type of work we do.

Haven't seen the attachments in question but being able to lift and drop a rake is very handy but not necessary.  I use both.

Whatever you do life will be much better for you and your farm whether it's one, two or three tractors.  Think about the attachments and make a decision before someone else does.  And again, you'll be able to sell whatever attachments you really don't need.

• Like 1

pfrederi
Pastures that host animals tend to be rough (Think hoof prints when the ground is wet)  I have a couple fields that haven't hosted horses in over 20 years.  They are still rough.  I do not drive my WHs over them very often as it is punishing for the machine and the operator.  Field work needs bigger diameter tires.  Cubs are very popular (and to my mind) usually overpriced.  Ford 8Ns are also good but frequently overpriced (especially given no live hydraulics).  I picked up a Case VAC (20hp) she competed with 8Ns back in the day but had live hydraulics.    She came with a trip bucket loader and only cost a little over $1000.  Took the loader off as it made it harder to steer. Have her for 16 + years now.  I use her with a 6ft finish mower and a 7 ft back blade.  Simple to work on and parts are still pretty easy to find.  

IMG_0102.JPG

WagonsHo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

squonk
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:
Pastures that host animals tend to be rough (Think hoof prints when the ground is wet)  I have a couple fields that haven't hosted horses in over 20 years.  They are still rough.  I do not drive my WHs over them very often as it is punishing for the machine and the operator.  Field work needs bigger diameter tires.  Cubs are very popular (and to my mind) usually overpriced.  Ford 8Ns are also good but frequently overpriced (especially given no live hydraulics).  I picked up a Case VAC (20hp) she competed with 8Ns back in the day but had live hydraulics.    She came with a trip bucket loader and only cost a little over $1000.  Took the loader off as it made it harder to steer. Have her for 16 + years now.  I use her with a 6ft finish mower and a 7 ft back blade.  Simple to work on and parts are still pretty easy to find.  

IMG_0102.JPG

WagonsHo.jpg

That's what I'm Talkin About! :banana-wrench:

Your biggest issue seems to be handling the manure. I would go with a bigger tractor

• Like 3

roadapples

Wheelhorse  would  be  easier to get around in stalls than anything bigger..

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

IMG_0102.JPG

WagonsHo.jpg

I wonder if that could be had with a trip bucket today for $1,000...

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I am prolly in the minority here but I think you'd be better off with a compact diesel tractor.

I agree and most compact tractors will be 4 wheel drive and have a cat 1 3 point hitch and maybe even have a front end loader.And will do lots of work,all day long.Even an older full size farm tractor.I bought a well used Allis Chalmers model WD with a New Idea model 506 front end loader and brand new rear tires for 600 bucks a couple months ago.

Edited by Pollack Pete