Wheel Horse 3D

Micro Backhoe????

Wheel Horse 3D
On 2/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, wallfish said:

A frame was made to attach to the trans with 1/2" plate on the top, angle steel to the axle and supports down to the hitch pin. That was welded to 4" angles to create a flat rectangle facing back. The frame for the hoe attaches to that rectangle with four 3/4" pins through tabs welded to each frame.

Got the flat frames. still not clear on how the 1/2 inch plate and angles may be arranged, and was thinking maybe 2" square extending forward to the mid attachamatic point kinda like @roadapples brantly, but with square instead of plate to distribute forces along the entire length of the frame. or maybe braced to the loader cross member, or both. And still want to be sure I can access the drain for the sunstrand.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D

Also, while fiddling on model of a new tierod/steering arm ???? keeper for Dug, i remembered i need to be prepared to upgrade those front spindles. At some point id like to go to a slightly larger front tire, sooooo..what should I be looking for in hub dimensions?

Im figuring 1-1.25 would be good diameter, but how long should the shaft be? Should i plan to extend the spindle out a bit?

20210428_172404.jpg

ebinmaine

If you do what I did to Colossus your tractor would be pretty happy I think. 

5 x 4.5 lug pattern wheels onto trailer hubs and trailer axle stubs. Mine are a 1" round stub. 

Least expensive. VERY rugged. 

Should be excellent. 

Others have done similar sized hubs but with 4 x 4 bolt pattern wheels. 

wallfish
8 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Got the flat frames. still not clear on how the 1/2 inch plate and angles may be arranged, and was thinking maybe 2" square extending forward to the mid attachamatic point kinda like @roadapples brantly, but with square instead of plate to distribute forces along the entire length of the frame. or maybe braced to the loader cross member, or both. And still want to be sure I can access the drain for the sunstrand.

The FEL sub frame does exactly that to attach to the trans and mid tach a matic

1/2" plate was bolted directly to the 2 holes in the top of the trans but mine is done on an 8 speed. Fabricating to a hydro trans is probably gonna be different. The space under the seat pan on the 8 speed was used for the return filter but the hydro pump uses that area so finding another spot for that is another thing to do.Once the main frame for the hoe is built then it can be figured out on how to attach it.

• Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Yep was rhinking the FEL may do that already.

So the plate was literally on top of the trans on yours. I may be able to find something similar on this auto. Might try mounting the return filter up by the FEL uprights for easy access. Sure I can figure it out! Im TEMPTED to try and get somethin done on the hoe before Big Show!

• Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 4/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, ebinmaine said:

Others have done similar sized hubs but with 4 x 4 bolt pattern wheels. 

Ill likely go 4x4 just because I have some of those rims around that seem to be an appropriate size, and i dont wanna go too big and lower the rear any lol.

I was figuring a similar setup to colossus, but was pondering going with the 1" round stem or square. Whether the bore and slide over would be better, or to drill at the appropriate angle through the square stem and reuse the arm and make a new longer pivot. Ill figure it out when i get the gumption and parts together.

Need to break out the welder and do a little playing aroung with it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Whether the bore and slide over would be better, or to drill at the appropriate angle through the square stem and reuse the arm and make a new longer pivot. Ill figure it out when i get the gumption and parts together

Strength is likely to be about the same. 

Cost will be VERY different. 

The round spindles can be had for 12 or 15 bucks each. 

Square spindles are at LEAST twice that. 

Also keep in mind using the square spindles will likely cause a rise in the front end due to the way they're set up. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Fluxcore 125..need to get me some appropriate wire and anti spatter spray.

16201744244533072404055005650591.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Also keep in mind using the square spindles will likely cause a rise in the front end due to the way they're set up. 

Good point! And if experience says strength is about the same...looks like I need to get some big bits! I have the little lathe, but likely do this on the shopsmith either horizontal bore or lathe. Ill have to see what mrs thinks, shes the metal lathe guru. That depth may be a bit much for the tooling we have. 

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

MikMacMike
On 4/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, Wheel Horse 3D said:

The more I look at these tow behinds and pay close attention to the main pivot and mounting area, the more I realize the extent of the modification that would need done there to get it snug to the rear of the tractor.

I Save Tractors did a pretty good build series of doing the PF engineering builds for an FEL and Hoe on a Flub Cadet (a bit of inspiration there even though its the wrong color)

I remember watching this. I watch the whole series in one sitting, a wee bit unusual for me to do that I might add, but sheeeeshus murfy what an excellent build. Watching him when he abused it too bounding on a stump made me think, " now this is one great build. He is entertaining too, especially when he makes a bobo hahahah! Im sure I saw one with a wheel horse too, but a front loader i think was???

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

saw one with a wheel horse too, but a front loader i think was?

Correct. 

He bought that at the same online auction I got a whole bunch of stuff. Right here in Southern Maine. 

MikMacMike
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Correct. 

He bought that at the same online auction I got a whole bunch of stuff. Right here in Southern Maine. 

So sweet..........sigh!!!!!! one day? yes one day Ill hopefully get one, Im getting too old to lift heavy stuff!

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
34 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

So sweet..........sigh!!!!!! one day? yes one day Ill hopefully get one, Im getting too old to lift heavy stuff!

Hey Don't forget to DREAM! As I posted early on in this thread:

A dream...Where Red Horses frolic and gallop along wooded paths, where they happily save labor for their owner and dig and roll and pull to their merriment! Where they're tucked in warm and cozy in their barn along side neatly arranged rows of tools, where they sleep while listening to the hum of sawdust making equipment of all types. and their owner never has to wonder "where the hell did I put that!" Where the dogs pad softly across the shop floor an curl up between the stove/forge and the Horse happily dozing. Where even in the Darkest night they all enjoy properly installed outlets and lighting, while neatly dedicated sections of shop display all the forms of the masters fabrication and creative needs(MECH area, metal area,pneumatics over there,Wood stuff there, general hand tools there) and nary a cross word is uttered as the master traverses his domain(and doesn't trip over a cord or have to move 4 boxes to get to something!) It is a world where only the Horse has permanent residence, and all others come and go as He quietly surveys the coming and going and overall bliss of his surroundings and looks forward to another gallop,dig, or pull!

Slowly getting there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Ok I priced the boring of the spindles at the local machine shop. ummm nope not spendin THAT much! So.. I'll be boring my own thank you! Gonna have to upgrade some tooling, but I'd rather invest there than blow it elsewhere. Sooo..once I'm done, WHO WANTS PREBORED SPINDLES???!!!!! LOL

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

WHO WANTS PREBORED SPINDLES

Ummmmm.

• Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Maybe do up the prebored spindle with a reinforcement bracket for the elbow (u shaped on both ends to meet up with the 3/4) as a weld on kit?

That would work on just about any tractor with 3/4  "L" spindles.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Maybe do up the prebored spindle with a reinforcement bracket for the elbow (u shaped on both ends to meet up with the 3/4) as a weld on kit?

That would work on just about any tractor with 3/4  "L" spindles.

I don't know about the rest of the world but I'd buy a kit if the price weren't too bad. I've been looking into upgrading the front end of my Cinnamon Horse. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Might be a bit for me to get round to but once I do mine, ill know what it takes and if its feasable at a good price.

16202342281204888388531347545378.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a SET of 1" spindles for 30bucks..free shipping from ToolTuffDirect, they market them for log splitter kits. 'Bout the cheapest combined per unit price plus shipping I could find.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Did a little online steel shopping. The major components from Metals depot look to be around 1k shipped. I'll pare that down as I refine the BOM and do some scrounging.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a SET of 1" spindles for 30bucks..free shipping from ToolTuffDirect, they market them for log splitter kits. 'Bout the cheapest combined per unit price plus shipping I could find.

Yeah ya done good there. 

Any fab shops anywhere near you?

Maybe they'd give you a decent deal?

Wheel Horse 3D

Got a delivery!

20210511_173453.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Hopefully I can find hubs to fit reasonably. Ill likely keep an eye out for hubs before figuring out how to bore them as I think the length is too much for the mini lathe, i'll have to figure a method for the shopsmith.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Get the hubs off e-trailer.com. 

Great prices and an actual customer service department. 

No. No. Really. Some companies do still have one!!

• Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Found these a set for under $50, still not sure about shipping on these as I haven't clicked the order button yet!

4 Bolt on 4" Trailer Hub with 1" Bearings (L44643)