Wheel Horse 3D

Micro Backhoe????

Pullstart

That looks super heavy.  Not saying it wouldn’t work, but a skid steer is sizably larger than a Wheel Horse.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That looks super heavy.  Not saying it wouldn’t work, but a skid steer is sizably larger than a Wheel Horse.

It might be just a dash too big. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Probably a bit oversize for our purpose...1600 lbs

Wheel Horse 3D

Lol i was looking that up..yall beat me to it!

Wheel Horse 3D

I just remembered, my cousin is on faculty at one of the local tech schools! Maybe they could put a PF engineering hoe together, with the angled outrigger mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Lookin at weight:

Loader abt 350

Pf hoe abt 350

Tractor 750 or so with weights etc.?

Total 1400? Not bad..could still haul that on mrs trailer....if it fit lol

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

@wallfish.. what other mods would you recommend to the PF engineering plans?

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Lookin at weight:

Loader abt 350

Pf hoe abt 350

Tractor 750 or so with weights etc.?

Total 1400? Not bad..could still haul that on mrs trailer....if it fit lol

If It Don't Fit you need a bigger trailer. Not a smaller tractor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Definately!

wallfish
12 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

@wallfish.. what other mods would you recommend to the PF engineering plans?

I changed the way the controls were mounted so they can adjust to the way the seat is used and to keep the base mount as tight to the tractor as possible. The plans have them rigid mounted.

Use joystick controls instead of all levers

• Thanks 1

littleredrider

Think I’m gonna get the plans from PF Engineering. I need a loader/backhoe, new is outta the question. Even decent used is crazy. I have the loader, always wanted to build one. But gonna be looking for a sample used one. 

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

I changed the way the controls were mounted 

So im assuming an adjustable mount plate of some sort where they have that "step" of square tubing? And i rhink id like joystick controls as well,(cant remember what i used last time i went hoeing around)

Wheel Horse 3D
41 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

Even decent used is crazy. 

Definately, Ive only seen one brantly come up and gone before the image of it had fully loaded on screen. Towables that could be modified are way more than i wanna spend.

Now if a person had the time, tools and skill they could build up a bunch of these and i bet find plenty of demand for these around 3k and maybe as much as 4 if its all set plug and play for a specific brand or model of tractor.Just spending that much, AND having to modify anyway like youd have to do with a towable, is outta the question.

Figure ya spend around 2k or so for steel and parts, it would be an ok return.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

The key would be readily available service parts, reliable jigs and some laser cut parts for simplicity!

• Like 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, littleredrider said:

Think I’m gonna get the plans from PF Engineering. I need a loader/backhoe, new is outta the question. Even decent used is crazy. I have the loader, always wanted to build one. But gonna be looking for a sample used one. 

I’ve got a JD 1010 Loader/hoe that I’ve been considering measuring in every way but Sunday and downsizing to scale.  It might need so much work to function that it could be cheaper and easier to build one!

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
31 minutes ago, pullstart said:

The key would be readily available service parts, reliable jigs and some laser cut parts for simplicity!

Definately if you were gonna fab more than one!

wallfish
7 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Figure ya spend around 2k or so for steel and parts, it would be an ok return.

Think it cost me about $2500 back in 2008 and I didn't buy any steel as it was all scavanged except for the mechanical tube. Hydraulics are the biggest cost and it takes quite a bit of consumables. The nice thing about building one is the parts can be bought over time as the build progresses.

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
19 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Think it cost me about $2500 back in 2008 and I didn't buy any steel as it was all scavanged except for the mechanical tube. Hydraulics are the biggest cost and it takes quite a bit of consumables. The nice thing about building one is the parts can be bought over time as the build progresses.

Well I guess I need to do some pricing and scavenging of my own! Id like to keep that cost down!

Wheel Horse 3D

I guess that explains why PF doesnt sell 'em ..the margins just likely aren't there. Thats a good price if your investing in your own, but not enough margin to make it worth your while, unless its just a hobby.

• Like 2

littleredrider

It used to be the steel was sorta affordable. Before I got my loader, I priced the steel at a local fab shop. Gave him the PF plans, he said cutting, bending, welding it all up was about $1200. But the hydro stuff was even more. What's nice with the PF plans is he gives you every part number you will need. I went thru it all and added it up, was gonna be over a grand IIRC just for the hydro stuff. I got lucky with my loader, I think I paid $1200 and got a parts tractor. But now that steel (along with everything else) is thru the roof, it might take awhile. I always said when my garage is up, got all the tools and equipment I'd need, to build stuff to make some extra money. But, anymore, don't see that happening. But can get lucky finding hydro stuff. Local yard gets some weird stuff in, so getting valves, cylinders, pumps and what not would be way cheaper than new....

• Like 4

Wheel Horse 3D

I work for a fracking company, and can likely scrounge some steel, hydraulic valves etc. Maybe hoses, or build them(all those tools are available at the shop), cylinders might be a bit to scrounge a specific size.

Prolly find steel scraps enough to tend to everything but the main arm chunks.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Saw this company in Essex selling a tow along micro excavator. 

20210425_112823.jpg.c4a4dd70addd3f3cf3bcb356cd69f078.jpgLooks a neat unit, self contained and complete. 

not sure if it would be a candidate for mounting on a Wheelhorse. 

Cost just shy of £4000 so comparable with building your own I woul20210425_112807.jpg.87320a38a3471efefe95e1380425e1a4.jpgd guess.

• Like 6

Wheel Horse 3D
14 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Saw this company in Essex selling a tow along micro excavator. 

20210425_112823.jpg.c4a4dd70addd3f3cf3bcb356cd69f078.jpgLooks a neat unit, self contained and complete. 

not sure if it would be a candidate for mounting on a Wheelhorse. 

Cost just shy of £4000 so comparable with building your own I woul20210425_112807.jpg.87320a38a3471efefe95e1380425e1a4.jpgd guess.

Not sure of the current exchange rates, but i priced those over 3k US and still to modify.

If i could score one around 1.5k id consider that, but i havent been seeing any used units.

Wheel Horse 3D

The more I look at these tow behinds and pay close attention to the main pivot and mounting area, the more I realize the extent of the modification that would need done there to get it snug to the rear of the tractor.

I Save Tractors did a pretty good build series of doing the PF engineering builds for an FEL and Hoe on a Flub Cadet (a bit of inspiration there even though its the wrong color)

Wheel Horse 3D

Did a little stroll around to the metal scrap bins at work today...

20210428_073844.jpg

20210428_073934.jpg

• Like 2