Wheel Horse 3D

Micro Backhoe????

Wheel Horse 3D

Now if I could sell a bunch of the 3d items..........:romance-grouphug:

• Like 2

roadapples

Looking  forward  to seeing those  headlight lenses....

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@pullstart Are considering selling the one in pieces ?

wallfish

Correct, mine was built using PF Engineering plans. On a 416-8 with an Ark loader. It dug a trench 4 1/2 ft deep and about 150 ft long to bury my utilities. Trust me, it wasn't through beach sand either as it's definitely a bit boney up here in New England. It did rip the stabilizers off once.

Anything is better than a shovel! The wife stopped asking me to help her with her plants because out came the hoe for smallest of holes. LoL

Keep an eye out on craigslist and stuff for small back hoes. I've seen a couple for sale around here that are a tow behind type but look easy to adapt to a garden tractor because they were small. Half the work is already done if you can't build from scratch.

IMG_0139.JPG

• Excellent 2

Wheel Horse 3D
22 minutes ago, wallfish said:

The wife stopped asking me to help her with her plants because out came the hoe for smallest of holes. LoL

Sounds about right ...and i am not paying attention to ANY of the rhyming or puns there.

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Correct, mine was built using PF Engineering plans. On a 416-8 with an Ark loader. It dug a trench 4 1/2 ft deep and about 150 ft long to bury my utilities. Trust me, it wasn't through beach sand either as it's definitely a bit boney up here in New England. It did rip the stabilizers off once.

Anything is better than a shovel! The wife stopped asking me to help her with her plants because out came the hoe for smallest of holes. LoL

Keep an eye out on craigslist and stuff for small back hoes. I've seen a couple for sale around here that are a tow behind type but look easy to adapt to a garden tractor because they were small. Half the work is already done if you can't build from scratch.

IMG_0139.JPG

Tractor, FEL and backhoe!  Life changing!  Stumps!  Big rocks!  Move trees!  Dig ditches!  A man with land needs hydraulic power! (Several years back a NH TC35 with FEL, backhoe and attachments found its way here, thank goodness! But I'd still like something smaller.  You know, for rose bushes!)

How was it to steer with a full bucket?

Recommended stance for a small FEL/backhoe is to have EVERYTHING gripping the ground.  Did the backhoe still drag it around? 

I hate to ask how long it took but, would you do it again?  

And is there a simple way to explain or describe how the backhoe was mounted.

I knew you did this and perhaps I've commented, but just in case, AWESOME!

• Like 1

wallfish
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Did the backhoe still drag it around? It's strong enough to pull it around but getting used to the bite size makes it better

I hate to ask how long it took but, would you do it again? I did it over 2 summers. Evenings and weekends and any other available time. Finished it in 08. I would certainly do it again. It was a fun build and has practical use. Plenty of mods made to the plans but the biggest thing I would do different is angle the stabilizers back 45 deg. The next mod (which can still be done) is make the boom extend

And is there a simple way to explain or describe how the backhoe was mounted. A frame was made to attach to the trans with 1/2" plate on the top, angle steel to the axle and supports down to the hitch pin. That was welded to 4" angles to create a flat rectangle facing back. The frame for the hoe attaches to that rectangle with four 3/4" pins through tabs welded to each frame.

I knew you did this and perhaps I've commented, but just in case, AWESOME! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

My NH will drag itself around too if I want.  I think that is a good thing, well, until it happens when I don't want it.  Unless I'm stuck!  I'm glad that it has that much power then!

I'd love to have a smaller BH but I just don't seem to have the time to be building from scratch.  And, of course, I have a much bigger one and get by, but at times it's over kill.

So securely mounted to the trans.  OK.  Was wondering if it went past that sometimes failing frame to trans mount.  No issues so far?

Long ago, I thought having a Teramite would be mindblowing!  And having this TC35 with FEL and BH has been a life altering event!  But I'd still like to have a smaller version.  Occasionally I'd like a larger one.  I installed a complete septic and I could have used bigger for the tank, but was fine for the rest.  I have a couple of boulders and the occasional huge stump that tasks me but...  Seems now I need something that makes less of a mess, smaller holes and less damage.

Incredible build!  Keep it up!  (How about a WH with tracks?)

• Like 1

roadapples

Mine attaches a little different than John's. Those front legs attach at the mid attachamatic. They had to be shortened. Made for D250. They run along side the base frame for the loader and pieces were added to fasten to the rear axle housing.20170602_193210.jpg.884d884899706b80b17d2dd4f0e96c67.jpg20170602_193421.jpg.7638509097f991d1a22f19c922cc3ba5.jpg20170602_193451.jpg.57f8835d76358ce11b09a8953feeda7b.jpg20170602_193301.jpg.ec507e6ade4da5c5cd5c8924fda2d2d4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

wallfish
53 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

OK.  Was wondering if it went past that sometimes failing frame to trans mount.

The Ark loader has a subframe that attaches from the front Tach a matic to the trans axle on the bottom. The frame I built for the hoe attaches to the top and they pinch together on the square of the trans case axle.

Without the loader subframe it would probably destroy that frame to trans mount fairly quick

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

tom2p
6 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Hey beats a $%&$*$ shovel any day! Especially with property and trails to tend to, drainage ditches, gravel to spread, brush to clear, snow to clear etc.

And its the correct color!

agree 

for many homeowners (if not most ?) a backhoe (or similar) will be of more use than a front loader 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
6 minutes ago, tom2p said:

agree 

for many homeowners (if not most ?) a backhoe (or similar) will be of more use than a front loader 

I can really use the loader too though. Even moving brush spreading gravel, heck use a strap just to move stuff i dont wanna lift

• Like 1

roadapples
57 minutes ago, tom2p said:

agree 

Think no more wheelbarrow....

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

K now that I've resigned myself to coming up with a WH TLB, What should I look for in a tractor? Are there upgrades that should be done to the front axles etc?

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

gwgdog66
On 2/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, roadapples said:

imagejpeg_0.jpg.b3af3852799a55ea625503091c541f11.jpg20170918_155412.jpg.98fce4a5c1a664b008d2ed67769568d4.jpg

Awesome !! I'd love to have one :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Everyone keep an eye out for a backhoe for me. Looks like thats gonna be a bear to find. I saw one posted up in pa but never got a response. Looking for a Brantly similar to @roadapples (LD6?) or SOMETHING. The home builts I've seen from PE are nice like @wallfish, but I'm gonna need a hoe! So keep yer ears(eyes, keyboards, whatever) open for any word of a backhoe for one o these critters!

• Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D

Id HATE to have to buy something green of the 400 variety just to strip the hoe off it lol!

Really looking for that frame attachment rather than 3pt style.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Id HATE to have to buy something green of the 400 variety just to strip the hoe off it lol!

Really looking for that frame attachment rather than 3pt style.

Don't get too concerned. 

Lots of places sell spray paint. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish

Everyone keep an eye out for a backhoe for me. Looks like thats gonna be a bear to find. I saw one posted up in pa but never got a response. Looking for a Brantly similar to @roadapples (LD6?) or SOMETHING. The home builts I've seen from PE are nice like @wallfish, but I'm gonna need a hoe! So keep yer ears(eyes, keyboards, whatever) open for any word of a backhoe for one o these critters!

The problem might be 50-75% of the lookouts would buy it for themselves if they find one

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

The problem might be 50-75% of the lookouts would buy it for themselves if they find one

I'm telling you right now if BBT's hands get on a backhoe she ain't lettin it past. 

And I will not be the one to dispute the point!!

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OldWorkHorse

but I'm gonna need a hoe! 

Said the same thing when I 1st saw 1!:laughing-rolling:

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

K found a possible tractor candidate. Any thoughts? Supposed to run well no smoke etc.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

K found a possible tractor candidate. Any thoughts? Supposed to run well no smoke etc.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Tough to beat a C series. 

Looks even paint patina. 

Any details?

May want to start a separate thread...

Get some good advice. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

1000 over in maryland, skid steer attachment

1619119656165190373725102597663.jpg

• Like 1