Raider69

Repower quandry.

Raider69

I posted in the Restoration, Modification and Custom forum that I was going to repower my '68 Raider 9 with a K301 out of a JD 212 but I've been kicking things around and I'm not sure that's the way to go. I have a B-100 Hydro I have been using to plow snow but I'm going to put the snow mblower back on it after adding hydraulic lift, the Raider will then become the plow tractor. Although the K241 in the B-100 did well with the blower when I had it on there several years ago and it still runs good, no smoke and only slight oil usage I'm thinking the smart move would be to put the K301 in the B-100 and then install the K241 in the Raider. I used the Raider to plow snow 25 years ago with the original HH-100 and it worked really well..... until the Tecumseh seized up. It should do equally well with the K241. It would also give me a chance to give the B-100 frame a good cleaning and maybe spruce things up a bit.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

I plow three Michigan driveways with a K 241 on my C 105. Plenty of power...

:twocents-twocents:

5CF42275-B7DB-413C-B0BB-F61D4F291C1C.jpeg

• Like 5

cschannuth

My 6.5 horse Predator will push snow as fast as I want all day. Put the bigger engine on the blower tractor and have fun. 

• Like 5

Raider69

48 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I plow three Michigan driveways with a K 241 on my C 105. Plenty of power...

:twocents-twocents:

5CF42275-B7DB-413C-B0BB-F61D4F291C1C.jpeg

Yeah, I've been plowing for several years with the K241 in the B-100 and it does very well, it even handled the blower pretty well but it's a lot older now and has pushed a LOT of snow. That's why I'm thinking the K301 needs to go in the B-100 and the K241 can go on "light duty" as the Raider will be used for light snows and clean up after I've used the blower. I also have a Commando V-8 I'm repowering with a 14.5 HP Briggs OHV that could get fitted with a V-plow just because I have one and it looks like it would fun for doing the city sidewalk for a few blocks and busting drifts and piles from the state plows. But that's a post for another day. :D

167357_143680452358331_100001491306181_267308_2886183_n.jpg.fbcbe779f2cee9c0618500e0a8a4125e.jpg

Edited by Raider69
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

We would love to see pictures of the V plow :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 1

Raider69
8 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

We would love to see pictures of the V plow :greetings-clapyellow:

It's on my Dad's old '48 David Bradley buried in the back of the back garage..... right behind the Raider 9. He got it back in the 50's, it was made from a V- plow off a Ford Model T (probably a TT) truck. Dad knew a guy, an actual old time blacksmith,  that made one for his DB and had enough material left for a couple more so Dad had him make one for him. It's hell for stout that's for sure. As soon as I dig it out I'll get pictures. I'm going to modify it to mount on a standard WH dozer blade frame so I can swap back and forth between it and the dozer blade if need be.

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Raider69 said:

It's on my Dad's old '48 David Bradley buried in the back of the back garage..... right behind the Raider 9. He got it back in the 50's, it was made from a V- plow off a Ford Model T (probably a TT) truck. Dad knew a guy, an actual old time blacksmith,  that made one for his DB and had enough material left for a couple more so Dad had him make one for him. It's hell for stout that's for sure. As soon as I dig it out I'll get pictures. I'm going to modify it to mount on a standard WH dozer blade frame so I can swap back and forth between it and the dozer blade if need be.

That sounds very interesting!  Looking forward to seeing that!

• Like 3

rjg854

:text-yeahthat:  what Pullstart said

• Like 1

Raider69
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

:text-yeahthat:  what Pullstart said

Motivation to clean the garage LOL.

• Like 1

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, Raider69 said:

Motivation to clean the garage LOL.

tell me about it!  I’ve been cleaning since Tuesday!  It makes a big difference though!

here’s an example:

Before...  

BA2323C2-5C23-4D07-BA8A-A85BEB3086B1.jpeg.72154e21dceecadcf8b4e46796467da5.jpeg

After....

B0D6FEDD-DF83-4CF0-9973-8A656D836212.jpeg.85edd8008bad03ce7390a149d9799f01.jpeg

• Like 6

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, pullstart said:

tell me about it!  I’ve been cleaning since Tuesday!  It makes a big difference though!
here’s an example:

Before...  

After....

I'll give it <24 hours and the space under the bench will be full.

• Haha 3

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I'll give it <24 hours and the space under the bench will be full.

Well, that’s already an old picture!  I have a couple engines and some metal cutting tools underneath already :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Well, that’s already an old picture!  I have a couple engines and some metal cutting tools underneath already :handgestures-thumbupright:

I've started making simple dollies for my "under" storage using inline roller skate wheels. Good bearings, good load capacity, roll over small bumps easily, track straight, and I get one dolly per skate! Usually get a pair for <$1 at tag sales. 

• Like 2

tom2p
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I've started making simple dollies for my "under" storage using inline roller skate wheels. Good bearings, good load capacity, roll over small bumps easily, track straight, and I get one dolly per skate! Usually get a pair for <$1 at tag sales. 

excellent idea !

we've also used razor scooter wheels and skateboard wheels - including the two wheel 'RipStik' skateboards with rotating wheel assemblies (pictured below)

D12A686A-7AF1-4EFB-8890-F48BE41D3375.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2