DennisThornton

Always thought John Deeres were really durable

Handy Don
7 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

It does look thin but it probably is rather substantial.  Looks like he was pushing snow into the highway as the plow truck passed by!

I'm not sure how to do that?

The forward broken off piece of the frame appears bulged out toward the front wheel at the bottom. Gonna bet that plow was slammed into stuff repeatedly and the lower part of that frame started bending/cracking and it moved up with repetition 'til it just fell off.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Meh...

Wrong color...

:wh:

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The forward broken off piece of the frame appears bulged out toward the front wheel at the bottom. Gonna bet that plow was slammed into stuff repeatedly and the lower part of that frame started bending/cracking and it moved up with repetition 'til it just fell off.

Could be.  I can't tell.  Looks like a lot of freshly exposed steel in that crack but some rust as well and I do see a bulge on the front portion.  Rust would suggest repetition.  If I was there and could check it out I think I could figure it out, but for now...

The hodge podge of washers suggest something, but I've been know to do with what I had at the time too.  That bracket with the weird washers and other empty holes makes me wonder as well.

image.png.0d3ba17c73b185cb65de34c703018a78.png

Handy Don
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

That bracket with the weird washers and other empty holes makes me wonder as well.

An option for the 54" plow was a hydraulic angler--its bracket attaches in those holes (that's why the seller mentioned "lift only" for the plow)

DennisThornton

image.png.d34e75a6fe24cc288f9fb7bae0c68476.png

Lots of fresh tear.

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

An option for the 54" plow was a hydraulic angler--its bracket attaches in those holes (that's why the seller mentioned "lift only" for the plow)

Ok.  Thought maybe it was mismounted.  That last pic I posted showed a lot of fresh metal.  Something major happened.

Achto
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Something major happened.

Yep!! 30 percent engineering, 70 percent "nut behind the wheel". :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

DennisThornton
9 minutes ago, Achto said:

Yep!! 30 percent engineering, 70 percent "nut behind the wheel". :lol:

I keep asking myself, if I wanted that to happen, how would I do it.  How do you almost tear off the front of a 300 series JD?

Achto
16 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

How do you almost tear off the front of a 300 series JD?

Frame formed out of sheet metal, heavy weight hanging off from said sheet metal, repeatedly using the plow to stop the tractor when you reach the snow bank. Hammer a chunk of metal enough times, it's going to break.

I like the :wh: design of pushing the plow with the rear axle. But if you ram into a snow bank enough times, you will break the formed sheet metal plate that holds the transmission to the frame.

Only disadvantage that I see of the plow frame connecting to the rear axle is the limited lift of the plow. A snow plow that has a pivot point in front of the front axle will lift a lot higher.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

JCM
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I keep asking myself, if I wanted that to happen, how would I do it.  How do you almost tear off the front of a 300 series JD?

Not easily

• Like 1

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

Frame formed out of sheet metal, heavy weight hanging off from said sheet metal, repeatedly using the plow to stop the tractor when you reach the snow bank. Hammer a chunk of metal enough times, it's going to break.

I like the :wh: design of pushing the plow with the rear axle. But if you ram into a snow bank enough times, you will break the formed sheet metal plate that holds the transmission to the frame.

Only disadvantage that I see of the plow frame connecting to the rear axle is the limited lift of the plow. A snow plow that has a pivot point in front of the front axle will lift a lot higher.

All true.  I'm still not sure what happened to this Deere...

I LOVE my WH snow plow!  I suppose there are a few times that I'd like to raise it higher though.  And the WH frame to trans might be it's weak spot for abuse it can easily be reinforced.

• Like 1

JCM

They are very durable, depending on the model, operators skill level and attention to maintenance detail. The ergonomics are phenomenal on this machine, it's like sitting in your favorite easy chair while operating this tractor. Picture caught by the trail camera while on trail clean up duty.

IMAG0375.JPG

• Like 1

cschannuth
15 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm convinced that the 300 and 400 series were solid tractors and they still hold a pretty good price tag.  PS and often hydraulics and 3 point hitches help that pricing.  I think Wheel Horses are undervalued, certainly compared to JDs.  I'm sure that either this 318 was abused over time or got hit by a truck.  Never seen a JD failure like that and that alone wouldn't put me off buying one.  I thought I'd bought a 300 but the owner backed out on me...  I really don't need one but I don't need all that I got now either.

I’m convinced that John Deere green paint must cost about $20,000 a gallon. Ha ha. Their machines are good but, in my opinion, not worth the premium price they bring.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
30 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I’m convinced that John Deere green paint must cost about $20,000 a gallon. Ha ha. Their machines are good but, in my opinion, not worth the premium price they bring.

Compared to new GTs I suppose the 300-400s are worth every penny.  Compared to the available WHs out there I think the JDs are overpriced.  And even though TORO is still supporting Wheel Horses they are a discontinued brand.  Wheel Horses live on through us but their heyday was in the past.  John Deere is still alive, well and all over and still a MAJOR brand out there in the fields!

Think about ALL the GT brands of the past and who is still around.

• Like 2

cschannuth
9 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Compared to new GTs I suppose the 300-400s are worth every penny.  Compared to the available WHs out there I think the JDs are overpriced.  And even though TORO is still supporting Wheel Horses they are a discontinued brand.  Wheel Horses live on through us but their heyday was in the past.  John Deere is still alive, well and all over and still a MAJOR brand out there in the fields!

Think about ALL the GT brands of the past and who is still around.

They’re actually great tractors. We have a 970 diesel with a FEL at our farm and it is 25 years old and only gets used a few times a year but it always starts and everything works perfectly on it. I have a buddy who’s a John Deere dealer and I always give him crap about how expensive that green paint must be..

• Like 2

squonk

It's got a lot to to with marketing. Getting someone to believe "they have to have it" works every time. A cheaper equal or better option might be available but you have to keep up with your co-worker, buddy or guy next door.  JD "Just Dollars" or HD "Hundred Dollars" has had this country hoodwinked for a good while now.

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, squonk said:

It's got a lot to to with marketing. Getting someone to believe "they have to have it" works every time. A cheaper equal or better option might be available but you have to keep up with your co-worker, buddy or guy next door.  JD "Just Dollars" or HD "Hundred Dollars" has had this country hoodwinked for a good while now.

i

You've heard the saying "image is everything"

The Tuul Crib
On 2/25/2021 at 4:04 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Meh...

Wrong color...

:wh:

Regal red!!!

• Excellent 1