Sign in to follow this  
JonW

Slime in tires

JonW

This probably belongs in the tech and FAQ section, but since it involves safety I hope the mods don't mind me posting it here for more people to read.

I just found out one of my tires was treated with green SLIME tire sealant. It came out as I was letting the air out of the tire so I could respray a few areas on the rim.

So...... if you don't know the COMPLETE history of your tractor, BE CAREFUL of tires. This crap flew out and almost hit my eye! :omg:

From now on I will wear my safety glasses on unknown tires!

Just be careful!!

stevebo

I had it get on the rim seal and when the slime did not work the tire still lost air then the rim just spun in the tire....

04fxdwgi

Why not just add a tube? That "Slime" or "Puncture Seal" just makes a mess of everything and messes up the valve stem to boot. Used it a couple of times in a pinch and regretted it both times.

If the tire has cracks in it and isn't holding air, it's time to replace it anyway, but a tube can add some more life to it in the inertim.

KyBlue

I hate tubes... I'll replace the tire before I put a tube in anything...

Brian1045

I tube everything...Even on brand new tubeless garden tractor tires. Seems like every time I go to mow, there is always that one tire that needs air. Since I started tubing them, I never have to check tire pressure again. I think the worst invention on the planet was the tubeless tire.

Nick

Maybe Im lazy but I like green slime. It does kind of depend on the use also. For several years I was using the loader to clean an area that was full of thorn trees so Id have been fixing the tire or tube daily without slime in the tires.

Some lawn services put tire sealant in brand new equipment because they dont want the cost of down time for tire repairs. Some of those do use a commercial sealant our tire shop puts in, Thorn Guard I think they call it.

bustedglass

I too like the Green Slime. I have used it for years with no problems. I once put some wide tires on some narrow wheels. I know :drool: . I could not get them to hold air. Put some Slime in, and :omg: , worked like a charm.

Yes, you do have to remember that the slime is in there when you do maint. or change. But, I think the stuff is great. Just my .02 :drool:

92Pony

I'm thinking of 'sliming' one of the fronts on my 520 (that goes flat from thron holes and cracks every two days). When you change out the tire, will the stuff come off o f the rim, or is it a permanent mess?

Wade

acsousa82

I've never used the slime myself, but almost got some in the eye will letting out air on a garbage find snow blower I was trying to steal the snow chains off of. So proceed with caution on an unknown tire. I would assume though that a little lacquer thinner should get off any residual slime on a rim. :omg:

jtmoyer

i had to tube a tire that had slime in it. what a mess... sliped on the stuff when tring to get the tire on the rim and about broke my finger. :omg:

igota310-8

I might have to use some Slime soon, My front wheels really dont hold air anymore for more than a few days at the time.

Did the 300 Series use innertubes?

Eric

travisg84

I put some of it the rear tire on my 312, no problems yet, It sure beats dragging out the compressor everytime I mow.

racer4

When you change out the tire, will the stuff come off o f the rim, or is it a permanent mess?

I love the stuff. Especially if you drive through thorns. I put it in the old 2 ply turf trac tires which were riddled with holes and plugs. When I changed to the 4 ply multi trac tires, I just wiped it out with a rag and gave the inside of the rim a quick rinse and good as new. Its not sticky and it rinses away with water pretty easily.

kpinnc

I use it, and it works very well.

That said, I don't think it has much use on a heavily weather cracked tire. Pin holes, slow leaks on decent tires- you're good to go.

Tires with heavy cracks just need a tube or complete replacement. There is no miracle cure for rotten tires.

Just my $.02

Kevin