RandyLittrell

starting cable gauge

RandyLittrell

My son and I need to replace some battery cables on more than one tractor so want to buy some starter cable in bulk. What gauge do you guys recommend? Wanted to go a little beefier than stock. Gonna order a lug crimping tool too. 

Randy

• Like 1

pfrederi

I am using this stuff from McMaster It is super flexible  note the strand count.  Very fine individual strands.  i ordered 6 ga Blk and Red but they the red coil I received was 4ga.

wire.JPG

wire1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RandyLittrell

I thought 4ga would be what I needed, but didn't know for sure. Thanks! 

Randy

• Like 2

pfrederi

140 amp rating is certainly more than enough (maybe over kill but who cares)

• Like 4

RandyLittrell
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

(maybe over kill but who cares)

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing!!

Randy

• Like 4

squonk

6ga is stock but I go 4ga. Heat shrink the crimps.

• Like 4

Achto

If you are redoing a square hood model with a starter gen and the stock ignition switch, you can run into clearance issues with 4ga. The hole that allows the wire to pass through the gas tank mount can get pretty small with the larger wire.

• Like 4

i use 6 gauge on single cylinder engines .

on aircraft ,cars ,boats , motorcycles i have always made my own battery cables so you end up with exactly what you need

• Like 1

WHX??

I used 8 once with no issues.... it's all I had laying around and was jonesing for seat time on a round hood.  :hide:  Was a easy starting motor and so current draw was was short duration. Did make it easier to wire the 70 amp key switch tho. I use 6 ga trolling motor wire now.... fairly flexible.... or have Dan make them for me at work!!!   He's right about that hole in the dash stand can get pretty tight but if wiring a solenoid.

I solder & shrink all my homemade ones. 

20170515_162011.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

squonk

I have an auto electric shop down the road make them. That way I can get my positive cable made in red. 

• Like 2

peter lena

RANDY, went over to 4 ga cable wire for my battery and engine to ground rail  points , to enhance overall grounding , look at 1ST AND 4TH PHOTO , 1st is the ground rail next to battery , that also holds the pto lever action , support, great spot to washer fill the sloppy pto lever action. with washers , about 3/8 " thick ,add lubrication , solid and smooth.  4TH PHOTO , note the cable coming off the corner of the engine , that goes up the the ground rail , and enhances all dash related electrical hook ups, also in the 4th photo , note ,BATTERY TENDER PLUG IN  wire wrapped  to the choke cable  for simple easy plug in . you have a great opportunity while there , just my own experience , pete

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Heat shrink the crimps.

Yes, I have really nice heat shrink already with the glue on it to seal it. 

2 hours ago, Achto said:

redoing a square hood model with a starter gen and the stock ignition switch

My son has a 782 cub that needs cables is my initial reason for buying, but I need to redo the cables on my C-120 and if I do the 1277, I'm going to a solenoid.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

at way I can get my positive cable made in red.

I ordered 20 foot of red and 10 foot of black. 

1 hour ago, peter lena said:

,BATTERY TENDER PLUG IN  wire wrapped  to the choke cable  for simple easy plug in

I already have that on my 1277 and will add it on all the stuff we are rewiring. 

Thanks for all the help guys!! :text-thankyouyellow:

Randyt

• Like 1

WHX??

Your :text-welcomewave:

Those are pretty good prices from McMaster Paul. :text-thankyouyellow:

RandyLittrell
On 2/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, WHX24 said:

I used 8 once with no issues.... it's all I had laying around and was jonesing for seat time on a round hood.  :hide:  Was a easy starting motor and so current draw was was short duration. Did make it easier to wire the 70 amp key switch tho. I use 6 ga trolling motor wire now.... fairly flexible.... or have Dan make them for me at work!!!   He's right about that hole in the dash stand can get pretty tight but if wiring a solenoid.

I solder & shrink all my homemade ones. 

20170515_162011.jpg

Very neat and tidy!! Just how it should be done!! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Thank you Randy. Actually that was my first stab at a resto. Wiring is about the only damn thing I am good at! :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 2/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, RandyLittrell said:

Very neat and tidy!! Just how it should be done!! 

Randy

Thats what cables are supposed to look like!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco

Thanks for this thread. I will need to get some wire for my Lawn Ranger. Converting it to a S/G motor from the recoil start. Will need some heavy wire for the batter connections.

Already got 14 gauge for the rest of the wiring.

rick

For a cable exposed to weather, be sure to use heat shrink with an adhesive lining.  Otherwise moisture could wick between the heat shrink and the cable by capillary action.  I always solder the conductors in the open end of the terminal to seal them. 

• Like 2