Achto

Refreshing My 701

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, Achto said:

After you have sprayed your parts with an acquitted amount of primer, you spray a light mist of a contrasting color over the top of the primer. I use the cheapest stuff out of a spray can that I can find for the guide coat.  After all of this dries then you wet sand (using 400 to 600 grit sand paper) your parts until the contrasting color (guide coat) is gone. I recommend using a sanding block on the flat areas as much as possible for this process.  Sanding a guide coat off ensures that the primer has been properly sanded smooth before painting. As your sanding, any minor imperfections will also be highly noticeable and can sanded out smooth.

If you have a piece that needs a lot of imperfections removed, you can prime, guide coat and sand the part down with 180grit paper dry using a sanding block. Then re-prime the part add a guide coat then wet sand before painting. If you are using primer as a filler to remove heavy imperfections, I recommend using a urethane primer. Lacquer primers will fill the imperfections but it will later shrink under the paint and your imperfections will be visible again. Automotive spot putty from a squeeze tube is a lacquer based putty and will also shrink under paint over time. Urethane's will not shrink like this over time.

Hope this explains it well enough.

Yes...very good explanation...

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

:drool: Man I'd love to have one of Dan's restos one day!:bow-blue:

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
40 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

:drool: Man I'd love to have one of Dan's restos one day!:bow-blue:

Funny thing is he restos them like this then immediately sticks them in the dirt! 

20190518_110143.jpg

20190518_101951.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Funny thing is he restos them like this then immediately sticks them in the dirt! 

You forgot this one Jim, 2 weeks after completion. Heck, the stack hadn't even changed color in this picture :thumbs2:

imagejpeg_0(2)-min.jpg.5b5a7b392fa9bab42681f5abcdedb0a0.jpg

They gotta earn their keep a little. :) I like working history. A museum piece is nothing but a dust collector to me.:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

rjg854
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

They gotta earn their keep 

I gotta agree with you on that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1