• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

That’s Achtolicous :handgestures-thumbupright: Very nice job Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??
47 minutes ago, Achto said:

Thank you to @WHX24 for talking me into trading steering wheels with him.

Cindy says best swap I ever did and the 753 did not have to get raped for her wheel. 

Just love the double hitch ... be real handy for pulling the lawn roller! 

What's best about this tractor is the story about how it came to us.  I'll elaborate if you guys want the details and I have posted it here before. It's a story I will never get tired of telling. 

Nice Dan and gonna be a real tough act to follow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Racinbob

It looks like the ammeter made it today Dan. That is an absolutely beautiful 701. You do incredible work. 

I'd like to hear that story @WHX24 I must have missed it. I've told the story of my 'B'-160 countless times and this one sounds like another one worth repeating. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Racinbob said:

another one worth repeating.

Ok Bob ... Cindy and I were riding around at a show and drove past a guy with a couple of horses. Ok nothin new  but a couple of hours later Dan comes back into camp asking if I got any cash. Sure I says I got a bit lets go have a peek see watcha found?... always up for a ride. So we go over to this guy Cindy and i drove past and there's a horse sittin ther. No for sale sign on it mind you.

Right away cause of the double belt guard it hits me this is a 701. Older poorer resto but definitely has the right plumbing meaning it's all ther.  So I says to the guy for sale ?? does it run? He says yah ... how much? 200 he says and I says sold!!!! Never even bothered to quibble on the price as we knew what we was looking at being fairly complete and somewhat rare in these parts. We knew the belt guard was worth that! A few things cobbled and incorrect but still. 

Rest is history. We barely managed to get it back to camp but dollar billed the points a few times and we both got seat time. But it didn't smoke and sounded fine so all it needed was Dan's touch. I hopped on it for a few shows after that and it always left me stranded ...yep 1$ bill! :)

Too bad we were already celebrating and we didn't get any pics...the only one I have... nice mug Ritchie!

That was a good show I'll never forget that one. The year of the runaway draft horses Dan....

20190907_152627.jpg

20190907_122457.jpg

20190907_123402-1.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Beautiful work!

:bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

20190907_122457.jpg

7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

The year of the runaway draft horses Dan

That was a fairly scary few seconds!! Jim, Jason & I were laying a few furrows down while the horse pull was going on. We had stopped at the end of the field to jaw jack for a bit when all of a sudden Cindy comes running over the hill screaming "LOOK OUT". Apparently when they dropped the hitch for the team of horses pictured above, it missed the hook. The team heard the clink sound of the hitch hitting the stone boat and bolted, (which is what they are trained to do). Problem being, there was no stone boat to hold them back. Of course the reins got ripped out of the drivers hands and these horses were on the loose. They come over the hill behind us at a full out run, and flew between us while we were sitting on our tractors talking. Literally missing Jason by a few inches. From there they headed to the spectators parking lot where they got tangled in their harness and bashed into the side of a car. This was where they were finally caught & brought under control. Luckily no people were hurt and the horses did not suffer any injuries either. Quite an exciting few moments!! I think Jason had to go take care of a "brown out" in his shorts after this fiasco. 

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 5

dclarke

Very nice, Dan!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Thank you very much @Racinbob

IMG_20210426_171947333.jpg.018e27ce756966329344c09fd42231e7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Racinbob

You're very welcome Dan. Seeing it go on such an incredible restoration makes me smile. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Wheelhorse Wes

I read the entire thing 

You did an incredible job sir

About the locking collar on the steering shaft..

For future reference for anyone..

From my experience like yourself taking paint off cuz the collar won’t fit

All I ever do for my restorations is take my chainsaw file (takes some time but worth it) and make the hole inside larger

Slides over the painted shaft no problem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc

That is one beautiful 701! Well done sir!

You gotta stop posting pics though. I only have room in the garage for the two machines I'm already working on. If I try to stick my 701 in there with them, my wife may make me sleep in the barn with Jake. 

...And he don't like me at all!

8391.jpeg

• Haha 9

Achto
38 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

That is one beautiful 701! Well done sir!

Thank you.:)

39 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

You gotta stop posting pics though. I only have room in the garage for the two machines I'm already working on. If I try to stick my 701 in there with them, my wife may make me sleep in the barn with Jake. 

...And he don't like me at all!

:ROTF:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, Achto said:

The rest of my decals showed up this week so I was able to put the last finishing touches on.

Patten decal for the transmission.

572156271_IMG_20210508_132452369(1).jpg.97e790dafea4ad42ef67752a2d217444.jpg

Counsel decals.

IMG_20210508_132515113_HDR.jpg.947529c841b348f2ea51ebdfc4867f91.jpg

Engine decals

IMG_20210508_133555907.jpg.793ae9cf8e8730c59bfbe50fabea3117.jpg

IMG_20210508_133547329.jpg.4620f92532a2dc43f0132a8a35b85f73.jpg

Nice work!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
On 4/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, Achto said:

a mist coat of black primer to use as a guide coat

What's a "guide coat"?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 4/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, Achto said:

guess I'll try them both ways & see which way they track better with the rear tires.

I would think if the wheel center is longer on one side, that side would go in...or are both sides the same ?

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Nice work!!

Nice job, my 701 is about 3000 below your sn#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
46 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What's a "guide coat"?

I believe it's a coating of a high contrast color so you can see when you have a thick enough top coat with no thin spots.

• Thanks 1

Achto
10 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

What's a "guide coat"?

9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I believe it's a coating of a high contrast color so you can see when you have a thick enough top coat with no thin spots.

After you have sprayed your parts with an acquitted amount of primer, you spray a light mist of a contrasting color over the top of the primer. I use the cheapest stuff out of a spray can that I can find for the guide coat.  After all of this dries then you wet sand (using 400 to 600 grit sand paper) your parts until the contrasting color (guide coat) is gone. I recommend using a sanding block on the flat areas as much as possible for this process.  Sanding a guide coat off ensures that the primer has been properly sanded smooth before painting. As your sanding, any minor imperfections will also be highly noticeable and can sanded out smooth.

If you have a piece that needs a lot of imperfections removed, you can prime, guide coat and sand the part down with 180grit paper dry using a sanding block. Then re-prime the part add a guide coat then wet sand before painting. If you are using primer as a filler to remove heavy imperfections, I recommend using a urethane primer. Lacquer primers will fill the imperfections but it will later shrink under the paint and your imperfections will be visible again. Automotive spot putty from a squeeze tube is a lacquer based putty and will also shrink under paint over time. Urethane's will not shrink like this over time.

Hope this explains it well enough.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
10 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I would think if the wheel center is longer on one side, that side would go in...or are both sides the same ?

The center hub sticks out more on one side that the other. I installed them both ways. If I put the long end towards the inside, the front wheels tracked slightly wider than the back wheels. With the short end towards the inside, the front wheels tracked almost center with the back wheels.

• Like 2

squonk
On 4/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, WHX24 said:

\  I hopped on it for a few shows after that and it always left me stranded ...yep 1$ bill! :)

If you used one of those hundreds hanging out of your pants it would have been fixed the first time! :)

• Haha 1

squonk

Is that a high heat white on the head Dan. Any Clear? 

554128326_IMG_20210417_104153738(1).jpg.2aa4f083ff2f4a81e6884556d6239f36.jpg

• Like 2

Achto
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

Is that a high heat white on the head Dan. Any Clear? 

No paint at all on the head. Just sand blasted it, checked the gasket surface, blew it off good, and put it back on. It does look kinda white in the picture though.

No clear on the tractor either. Single stage VanSickle acrylic enamel with a gloss hardener.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4