Achto

Refreshing My 701

Achto
14 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Dan thinks the front rims should be mounted with the valve stem to the inside which makes sense for stem protection and wheel weights. If that's true all my early sixties tractor are on backwards. Issue with running them to the inside the rim gets pretty close to the spindle arm. .... some pics as I was playing... anyone know which is correct? 

I did a lil research & now believe that on early front rims did have the valve stem to the outside. I also came to the conclusion that these rims can not be used without an inner tube. If you look at the weld that holds the 2 halves of the rim together it does not go all the way around. 

• Like 2

squonk
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I'm liken those rears Dan I had an eyeball on them for the flame but the X 4 was a killer! Guess I just gotta run those old Pullstart hand me downs on my 701...that's alright my herd is ag heavy anyway! 

So anyway here's the ? gents... Dan thinks the front rims should be mounted with the valve stem to the inside which makes sense for stem protection and wheel weights. If that's true all my early sixties tractor are on backwards. Issue with running them to the inside the rim gets pretty close to the spindle arm. .... some pics as I was playing... anyone know which is correct? 

Jim, these are the rims my 701 had. Stem on the inside

562959227_701a014.JPG.a89e0a4d61c52377af0a8802748fc406.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Thanks @squonk !! Plot Thickens :confusion-confused:

I guess I'll try them both ways & see which way they track better with the rear tires.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Achto& the clown in where what ever state and of course @squonk I have my Dad's 72 Commando 800 , the valve stems on all 4 rims are on the outside. I don't know if he reversed the rims or not , but he made wheel weights for the rear that had a notch for the valve stems. Having the stems on the outside of the rim makes it easier to check the pressure and fill with air as needed.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, Achto said:

weld that holds the 2 halves of the rim together it does not go all the way around

That I did not know I used tubes anyway cause they were on the shelf and the stem holes are too rusted for stems to seat. Did I give you a few of those stem hole bushings Dan?? If not Iet me know I got a butt load.  needed some for these rims.  I was also just guessing they were tubed from South Bend because of the penchant to load tires of the Burbs and RJs??? 

4 hours ago, squonk said:

Jim, these are the rims my 701 had. Stem on the inside

562959227_701a014.JPG.a89e0a4d61c52377af0a8802748fc406.JPG

Yah but is this correct Mike? Lets ask @Lane Ranger

To my knowledge Waldo '62 was the last year they used rims with the different sized hub  spacers and went to shorter spindles. then all stems were to the inside...front and rear. Perhaps another historian can confirm this? 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

rjg854

:wh: front wheel weights don't have a spot for the valve stem cast into them.  So obviously the valve stem has to be on the inside of the rim.  :teasing-neener:

Or you'd have to take the weight off when you wanted to check air pressure. :teasing-poke:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Achto
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Did I give you a few of those stem hole bushings Dan??

I thought that you gave me some. Couldn't find 'em when I put the front tires on of course.:doh:

• Like 1

WHX??

For what it's worth a snip of the IPL showing the stem to the inside? 

Screenshot 2021-04-15 070656.png

• Like 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

take the weight off when you wanted to check air pressure.

Or to grease the bearings... 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

They all came from the factory with the valves on the inside...reasoning being...to protect the valve stem from bushes, trees, fences, lawn flamingos, swimming pools etc.  In other words, out of harm's way.  If you don't have those issues, it is easy to swap the rims to put the valve to the outside and make it easier to check and air tires.  It is that simple gents, and that easy if you have bad knees.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Agreed Dino.... since this is just a show cruzer they stay to the outside & anybody points out it's wrong it's...... :teasing-wedgie:Same for the mismatched rims. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 3

stevasaurus

If you are young, inside...if you are not so young, outside.  Just have your ag's pointed in the right direction.  :USA:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

Lane Ranger

Mine are on the outside but I never claimed to be much of an original purist! 

Not sure wheels are original .  This horse was traded back forth four times with two Wheel Horse owners before I rescued it from them!

78DB5E82-76F6-43D9-B4A0-8BB3102DAA4D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I never claimed to be much of an original purist! 

Me neither Lane as the MN boys ain't got me completely brainwashed.... yet! ' Specially when it comes to making improvements over factory like that hood hinge on yours. 

Sides when they get dirty running around at a muddy tractor show or worked in the garden... :)

The way to tell if they are original or near original is look at the edge of the rim. It will have a pronounced curve to the inside. Looks like Dan's are and in my pic you can see left side is, passenger side no.  Looks like Mikes are too. A painters pain to get paint under that curve without the runs. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

A painters pain to get paint under that curve without the runs. 

Eat a balanced diet and paint away! :teasing-poke::occasion-clown: :helmet:

(Sorry but I had the hit that softball out of the park! ) :baseball:

• Haha 3

Achto

No work today so it's go time for assembly. :) I'll post more pic's of my progress at the end of the day.IMG_20210416_075523190.jpg.16cb2d31bdac2a29ac5cca63e0edcb4c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
13 minutes ago, Achto said:

No work today

!?!?!??!?!?!? whats up with that!?!?!?!?

13 minutes ago, Achto said:

time for assembly.

This always the part I like if one has all his hardware. No greasy parts to clean or repair .. seems to go fast and progress is seen right away. 

Hey wait a minute that floor looks way too clean ...you is at pumpkin farmers ain't ya! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

Yep, most of my stuff is at Pumpkin Farmers from helping him with his basket Case. Might as well assemble it there.:D

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

basket Case.

:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

squonk
25 minutes ago, Achto said:

No work today so it's go time for assembly. :) I'll post more pic's of my progress at the end of the day.IMG_20210416_075523190.jpg.16cb2d31bdac2a29ac5cca63e0edcb4c.jpg

NICE TRACTOR!!! :teasing-poke::teasing-poke::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

stevasaurus

It was a nice tractor, until I had to look at it twice.  :kbutt:

• Haha 4

WHX??

Hey while your there Dan see if that motor I gave him has the dipstick tube Skunk is lookin for and if he used it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Skunk

:laughing-rolling:

Achto
6 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Hey while your there Dan see if that motor I gave him has the dipstick tube Skunk is lookin for and if he used it? 

I'll check tomorrow Jim.

• Thanks 1