AHS

Tie rods on a Raider 12

AHS

What’s going on? It’s been painted (8 years ago!) so it was all apart then... tie rods off. And I can’t remember the front axles? The  steering wheel is in the middle and the right wheel is straight, the left is pointed outwards and they are fixed tie rods... they are the same length, 10”...  oh by the way what year is it? 1970 or 71?

EB1AB91E-E36F-4D48-94BB-18816FBCE987.jpeg

C5FBE26A-5D6E-4A23-9C55-D25833319FD0.jpeg

17B69380-62DC-4B5F-90B1-ED9FB978C566.jpeg

64098AA9-5072-4A0C-BAF9-1A3EA3C438C2.jpeg

Lee1977

I have had that on my Wheel Horses. The way I fixed it was adjustable tie rods. I used heims joints to build mine.

The set on my C-120 has been on 32 years and they are still just as good as they were new.

SAM-1011.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Do a search for 6251 and it should be a '70. 

I agree with @Lee1977 on the heim joints and custom tie rods. 

There were 2 lengths. I don't know how to tell by model or anything what it should have. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

Bent Spindle??.  Look at the two spindles the tab the tie rod connects too look to be about perpendicular to the front axle yet the one wheel is canted way out.

• Like 1

AHS
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Bent Spindle??.  Look at the two spindles the tab the tie rod connects too look to be about perpendicular to the front axle yet the one wheel is canted way out.

Ok, this is where I will start pull both of the front wheel spindles, and mark the left one as ‘ok’ and see what the right one looks like. Otherwise, I will get an adjustable set.

Ed Kennell

I agree with Paul, the right spindle looks bent.     Note how close the right tie rod is  is to the tire.

• Like 1

AHS

Now, are all the front spindle (8” rim) the same?

ebinmaine
Just now, AHS said:

Now, are all the front spindle (8” rim) the same?

I don't know the year spread but they were certainly similar for 30 or 40 years plus

AHS
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know the year spread but they were certainly similar for 30 or 40 years plus

Just like Wheelhorse!! 70 Raider 12 is similar to the C series. I was just wondering about the spindle part that went into the front axle..Are they the same diameter?

squonk

I have found spindles that had cracked welds where the plate the tie rod connects to attaches to the spindle. You almost can't even see it but it allows the spindle to rotate while the plate stays where it's supposed to be

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

Just like Wheelhorse!! 70 Raider 12 is similar to the C series. I was just wondering about the spindle part that went into the front axle..Are they the same diameter?

Yeah they're the same three-quarter diameter rod all the way from the mid to early 60s up through except for the heavier ones used on the big wheel tractors and 520s. 

• Like 1

AHS
6 hours ago, squonk said:

I have found spindles that had cracked welds where the plate the tie rod connects to attaches to the spindle. You almost can't even see it but it allows the spindle to rotate while the plate stays where it's supposed to be

Ya, I guess that where it would be. .. that’s the only weld there. Ok, there 3/4” spindles on my ‘70 Raider 12, ‘73 14hp, and 76’ 8hp. eBay has a set of C160 ones, I guess those would be the same?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AHS said:

Ya, I guess that where it would be. .. that’s the only weld there. Ok, there 3/4” spindles on my ‘70 Raider 12, ‘73 14hp, and 76’ 8hp. eBay has a set of C160 ones, I guess those would be the same?

They would be but how much are they??

Decent chance you'll be able to get them for less money from one of our own members or Lincoln at A To Z. 

AHS
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

They would be but how much are they??

Decent chance you'll be able to get them for less money from one of our own members or Lincoln at A To Z. 

What’s the number? $50 for two of em. Does it go by left once your sitting on the tractor? Or looking at the tractor... I think it the first one!

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, AHS said:

What’s the number? $50 for two of em. Does it go by left once your sitting on the tractor? Or looking at the tractor... I think it the first one!

MOST vehicles, equipment, whatever....

Left, Right are as seen by the driver/operater while SITTING IN the driver's seat. 

Lincoln's number is

(717) 821-2542

CALL. 

Don't use the website. 

He's good people and very busy. My experience shows me the site often doesn't show things he really does have. 

• Excellent 1

AHS

eBay $38 for both spindle for an 800 special? Will these fit? They look like they will! @ebinmaine

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, AHS said:

eBay $38 for both spindle for an 800 special? Will these fit? They look like they will! @ebinmaine

Ahhhh.....

That I don't know.  

Not sure how those 800s were set up. 

• Like 1

AHS

The 800... They look the same. Made in 71, and have 8” wheels. Anyone else..are the 800 and the Raider 12 the same? Spindle wise...

A7E626F5-A93E-43B3-9C7D-2CCEA6BA830B.jpeg

Lee1977

The ones on the 300 series tractors are different with the 6" wheels. They change the axle on the later 520's and they are different.

Your could break it loose and have it welded back right.

The 800 special is a oddball tractor but the spindle numbers check out to be 115426 and 115425 they are the same number that the original Raider supereded to.

My C-120 uses the same number.

• Like 1

AHS
7 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The ones on the 300 series tractors are different with the 6" wheels. They change the axle on the later 520's and they are different.

The 800 special is a oddball tractor but the spindle numbers check out to be 115426 and 115425 they are the same number that the original Raider supereded to.

Ya, I thought the 400 series would be the same. I have a 414-8..I haven’t measured it up yet. So the 800 and the Raider are the same?

Lee1977

the 400 series checks out ti be the same numbers.  My early 520-H has different numbers but they look to be the same.

AHS
12 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I ordered the 800 special spindles. For under $40, if they don’t work, paint them up and re sell them! I have a feeling that they will work. @ebinmaine

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Good plan

Machria
On 2/21/2021 at 4:26 PM, AHS said:

What’s going on? It’s been painted (8 years ago!) so it was all apart then... tie rods off. And I can’t remember the front axles? The  steering wheel is in the middle and the right wheel is straight, the left is pointed outwards and they are fixed tie rods... they are the same length, 10”...  oh by the way what year is it? 1970 or 71?

EB1AB91E-E36F-4D48-94BB-18816FBCE987.jpeg

Are those brand new tires?   If so, where did you get them?   I just got new tires from Amazon and they are very rounded, rather than flat the way these are (and the orig.'s are).  \What are these tires???

thanks...

AHS

@Machria  it’s all repainted. The tires are new though, they are just stock size, 8” wheels on the front.