Old312-8

Suggested price of my 312-8

tom2p
8 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

To me, they are an investment in getting things done and have more pleasure doing it.  I haven't bought for resale, but I do try to pay with the idea that I could easily get my money back.  No concerns so far!

grass cutting almost a lost art in many new developments in my area

many houses in the newer plans have smaller lots (less grass) - and less people cut their grass 

so - if they do cut their grass - they use a push / self propelled mower 

in the older plans where houses have larger lots - I now see a lot of lawn services ... didn't see that 20-40 years ago 

We know a number of families that do not have a lawn mower of any type ... they don't even have a gas can ...

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, tom2p said:

many houses in the newer plans have smaller lots (less grass) - and less people cut their grass 

so - if they do cut their grass - they use a push / self propelled mower 

in the older plans where houses have larger lots - I now see a lot of lawn services ... didn't see that 20-40 years ago 

We know a number of families that do not have a lawn mower of any type ... they don't even have a gas can ...

My Dad's Dad had a farm, big garden but pretty small yard.  Mowed with a push reel for a long, long time.  

• Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

With the cost of a new mower, a postage stamp lawn, and a "I have better things to do with my time" attitude. The lawn service is a bargain. I am one of two persons on my block who mows their own lawn, though the new family across the street looks promising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, Old312-8 said:

To clear things up, I got the thing, deck and all, for 50 bucks.

Yikes!  You are one heckuva horse trader!  From 1750 all the way down to 50!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

they don't even have a gas can ...

And if they bought one, they would have to call someone to show them how to use it!

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, JCM said:

This is what I paid for a new one 32 years ago and did think it was a lot of money but I knew the quality I was buying. And all of these years later it was the best money I have ever spent. A picture in 1989 doing it's first wax job and now. I would not sell that tractor for any offer, sentimental value for sure.

My thought exactly with my Anniversary 520H bought brand new (quite a bit more in 1998 at $6300)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill

312-8 bought new April 1989, + 37 inch side discharge deck with rear bagger + plow bade unit + weights and chains + tiller  + rear cart = total $4,025 --- that was HUGE expenditure for my family in 1989 but I saw it as lifetime purchase as new home owner in 1980  - 1/2 acre lot  -- here's BACKSTORY --- In 1963,  at age 13, my dad bought us a 1963 Montgomery Wards Tractor 7 hp, plus mower deck and plow - so I could mow neighborhood lawns - plow driveway snow, etc - he required I keep a log of jobs and earnings -- and pay him 60 percent - he would buy all gas, belts, parts, blades, do maintenance, etc - it wasn't about the money, it was about me learning lessons of life - expenses, overhead, responsibility, work ethic, punctuality, etc. -- As a teenager, different than my friends, I always had cash in my pocket because I could go mow a lawn -- So when I read the stories here about peoples relationship with their WH I think each of us has some "back story" -- I am not a collector - not really a hobbyist -- but my WH is special to me and  I have just recently begun some serious rehab work on my 31 yr old "investment" --- in that context I find this discussion of  "worth" and "value" and "pricing" very interesting. I think of my WH as "worth" much more than the sale prices noted in the posts of what a WH could, or does, command in the market place --- one primary reason is what I would call "replacement value or cost" ? and What is it worth to do what I use  it for --- Mowing, aerating,  leafing, snow plowing, tilling etc.  - - and what would it cost me to purchase an equivalent "tool" to perform these same tasks -- Moreover, if I purchased a new "tool" what would its quality and reliability be compared to my 312-8 ? I believe most WH owners believe the durability and function and dependability of their WH exceeds what we could buy new in todays lesser quality world. Therefore, yes, I have a nostalgia toward my WH and enjoyed my kids growing up on a WH, and now my grandchildren since age 3 learning the responsibility and joys of driving a Horse - and hope  my horse continues its life in my family tree through my children and grandchildren.  Can't put a value on that.!!!!!!........... Cheers to all the special relationships the forum members have with their "horses"

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 2

Brockport Bill

grandson bagging/leafing 2020 ---- next to photo my son 1989 week one on our shinny new Horse  --

20210221_223748.jpg

20210215_143812(1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 3

ohiofarmer

here is a decent one that looks mechanically sound and kept inside 550.00 on the ask.   So that 14 hp single cylinder and hydraulic lift are icing on the cake. no other info because not listed on Redsquare. that machine is absolutely worth more in the work left in it than a brand new take your pick box store piece of crap.

No photo description available.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

agreed -- you said it simply in a few sentences

Handy Don

If I were buying now, a 314-H would be at the top of my list.

Next item would be a pedal motion control.

I am curious about the bungee cord, though!

ohiofarmer
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Bungee just holds the cover panel. I saw other pictures where the panel clips and bolts are gone. Yeah, the 314 has enough power and good fuel economy compared to an Onan, I bought way too many this year or I might be after that one.  I bought two 14 HP black hoods and that big displacement thump is there sounding nearly as good as a c-160

tom2p
On 2/22/2021 at 11:03 PM, Handy Don said:

and note the exposed air filter element - and with no foam pre-filer 

it is also possible the bungee cord is used to pull the PTO lever (on other side) snug if there is excessive play ... ? ... just a guess ? 

I keep a short bungee cord wrapped around the front part of the right footrest on one tractor when not in use - use the bungee cord to pull up the chute on the mower deck when pulling in and out of the garage  (pictured below - can just barely spot bungee cord)

63567FBD-3142-43B1-8946-F0F18096E910.jpeg

Edited by tom2p

midpack

I picked up a 312-8, under 500 hrs, steel rear weights, chains and a 42" RD deck for $150 last fall

there's still some deals out there, just have to be patient ;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
On 2/22/2021 at 11:03 PM, Handy Don said:

Automatic reverse control?

• Haha 1