Old312-8

Suggested price of my 312-8

Old312-8

I was recently offered a 312-8 (Not sure of year) that had no problems, a working mower deck, nice tires and a great strong engine. I have completed a reversible 4 inch rear drive pulley swap, so if I need to go back to original I can. I plan on selling this soon, and I am not sure what they go for, the previous owner had an offer for $1,750 when it was covered in dust and barely running. It now runs great, starts up in the cold and mows well, and I want to know how much it would go for now. Any ideas?

haydendavid380

I paid $500 for mine last year with a nice 42" deck and a dozer blade. 

I wouldn't pay over $600 for one with just a deck unless it had less than 500 hours or the paint was flawless. 

• Like 2

Old312-8

Last I checked it only had 200 hours on it.

Yossarian

See if you can get the number for the guy that offered $1750B).  I paid $350 for the one I bought for my folks last fall.  If it had been necessary and I'd had the spare coin I would have done $500.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think you need members from Ohio to give their opinion , location has a lot to do about price. Also pictures would help. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

One of the things that I LOVE about Wheel Horses is I can buy them for way less than they are worth!  I'm not sure why...   I've paid stupid low prices for some including both of my XIs and I just don't know why.  I never counter offered, I just paid what was asked and smiled ever since.  Best values around here!  

But that is from a buyer perspective, NOT a sellers...  Where you going to buy a HD GT that will do and last for less than a Wheel Horse?

So I buy rather than sell.  Worth more to me than I could get.  Might trade for something.

That wasn't much of an answer was it?  Well, I'm trying to be kind.

• Like 2

jay bee

I just found a 312-8 for my neighbor to buy.  A very well cared for 1988 with a mower deck, plow, weights and chains.  He paid $600 and we both thought it was a nice deal.  The seller thought so too.

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 4

Handy Don
9 minutes ago, jay bee said:

I just found a 312-8 for my neighbor to buy.  A very well cared for 1988 with a mower deck, plow, weights and chains.  He paid $600 and we both thought it was a nice deal.  The seller thought so too.

That would also be fair to both in my area.

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

IN Belgium Europe, $800 dollars would be a nice average price,  but have seen them go for up to 1800$.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I have six 312-8's.I would sell any three of them for $1,750 as a package deal.I'm thinking the tractor in question should be worth about 700 tops. If the 200 hrs is correct and the tractor looks like new. 

Edited by Pollack Pete
  • Like 2

Jeff-C175

Everyone is being too kind. That's a ridiculous price anywhere.

I've read your post a couple times and not clear on whether you paid that for it?

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

Well I am 25 miles from dayton.. No way on that price.   I have a 200 hour 416-8 I would sell all day for that. The only wheel horse I have seen listed that high would be a 20 horsepower D-series. You gotta realize that there are lots and lots of these tractors around. Wheel Horse could be  sold nearly everywhere there was a hardware store .  phillipsburg and arcanum  ohio are still one and two stoplight towns and both had dealers only ten miles apart..The factory was only one state away and I suppose a dealer could just drive over and pick a few up whenever needed.,

I would put that comment about what the previous seller said about that offered price in the same category as  "All it needs is a starter and I have one you can put on" seen not too long ago in Marketplace.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

They go for 450-650 here in S. W. Pa.

• Like 1

pacer

Heres a bit of example in cost -- this has been listed at $2000 for NINETEEN wks on face book. Doesnt say what model it is but appearance wise and a nice looking tiller hanging off it makes it a quite desirable tractor ..... but $2000???

While I'm a long way away from the offerings of WH's in my area, I have to go along with the rest on your situation and say that from the little info that we have, $700to to maybe $1000 would maybe get it sold down here.

No photo description available.

JoeM
12 hours ago, Old312-8 said:

owner had an offer for $1,750

What's that in bacon pounds? :eusa-think:

Had a similar conversation the other day with my brother. Wheel Horse prices and the hobby.

Brother was / is a car guy, (and likes Wheel Horses but not into it deep yet). He recently retired and said, I see why your into those tractors. High quality and cheep. He said you seem to build or redo something every year. Always a different toy. Unlike a show car, he said one of the thing that is different. I got one car and go to a show and sit there with the hood up answer questions, sweat my butt off. Same car different show.

Those Wheel Horse Tractors give a lot of variety and you don't really make money but really  do not loose any too. In the meantime, those machine do a lot of work, tilling, plowing, cutting, and lifting. 

Call it my happy place. Some others don't understand but it is good to me!

Like here at RS, if we agree to agree or disagree to agree most all folks are outstanding people!

I have bought 30-40 tractors and really not had a bad experience. People that have these machines are the salt of the earth.

Oh my 2 cents on the 312-8

5, 6 good condition.....800+ if it was pristine. 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

pacer
4 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Those Wheel Horse Tractors give a lot of variety and you don't really make money but really  do not loose any too. In the meantime, those machine do a lot of work, tilling, plowing, cutting, and lifting. 

Call it my happy place. Some others don't understand but it is good to me!

Like here at RS, if we agree to agree or disagree to agree most all folks are outstanding people!

I have bought 30-40 tractors and really not had a bad experience. People that have these machines are the salt of the earth.

Dang Joe, thats one of the best descriptions of our ....Hobby? I've seen. At least it fits in my case, almost like reading my thoughts!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Old312-8

To clear things up, I got the thing, deck and all, for 50 bucks.

Old312-8

And it’s a clean unit, no rust all original wheels, seat looks okay, paint isn’t faded. Just needs a bit of carb work.

David414

1991, 312h, 740 hours with solid 42" rear discharge deck.  Decent shape for age, cracked ties but hold air, strong hydro and engine, no leaks, drips, or smoking.

So so maintenance from PO. Paid $480 delivered to my garage. :twocents-02cents:

312h_dec 2020.jpg

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I paid $450 for a very nice original 310-8 a few years ago and I think that was a good price. That is in Missouri though. 

Randy

roadapples

On the other hand, if someone had paid $1750 for this 200 hr machine, with reasonable care, it would still be a lifetime  investment compared  to the big box store stuff... just my :twocents-twocents:

• Like 5

DennisThornton
33 minutes ago, roadapples said:

On the other hand, if someone had paid $1750 for this 200 hr machine, with reasonable care, it would still be a lifetime  investment compared  to the big box store stuff... just my :twocents-twocents:

That's the odd thing about WHs and some other solid old GTs.  They're worth more than you can get for them! 

• Like 3

tom2p
29 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That's the odd thing about WHs and some other solid old GTs.  They're worth more than you can get for them! 

another reason to not part with one - and obtain more !   lol

I would pay above market value for a low hour / showroom-like condition Wheel Horse tractor - and possibly well above 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
22 minutes ago, tom2p said:

another reason to not part with one - and obtain more !   lol

I would pay above market value for a low hour / showroom-like condition Wheel Horse tractor - and possibly well above 

To me, they are an investment in getting things done and have more pleasure doing it.  I haven't bought for resale, but I do try to pay with the idea that I could easily get my money back.  No concerns so far!

• Like 2