giddyap

It's my thing, Bucket T / Sandrail

giddyap
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

do you weld?  

Nope, I drill and bolt everything and also riviting

Here is my cut line. After which the front will return to it's position where it has already been bolted down. The back will slide 12". A 12" gap along the sides, a seam along to bottom sides and a 12" gap on the back floor. I plan to cut the Cub hood and use for patches If there are no objections. lol

DSC07164.JPG

• Like 3

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, giddyap said:

If there are no objections. lol

Hey, it’s your thing!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Awesome creation, awesome ideas!

• Thanks 1

giddyap

Whoopee, For 2 hou'trs starting at 4am I measured and measured again hoping for a perfect cut. Only after the cut is finished do I see the surprise awaiting me. This one is not all that bad. The missing sidewall could have been centered for the wheel openning. On the good side, I can stretch my legs with the 12" expansion. After I conqure a major clean up, I'm taking a well deserved break. 

DSC07178.JPG

DSC07168.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

giddyap

S T R E T C H, now my little sporty can haul the soccer team.(before and after photos) Although it may now look like a mini-van I have a component in mind that will once again make it look like a hot rod. BTW I added a mini tower to attach a tow chain

DSC07163.JPG

DSC07181.JPG

DSC07162.JPG

DSC07182.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

giddyap

Today I cut out the wheel wells in order to get the hubs as close to the frame as possible. Too much axle beyond the frame increases the chance of it bending.

But this post compares two different methods, The correct way that dells68 did it, a work of art vs. the way I'm doing it. I'll see how far I can get before "throwing in the towel" lol 2E57B090-0A32-4E94-ACA7-FE5C2159A087.jpeg.0e72e40516f4d5f936475674ba9999b2.jpeg

DSC07188.JPG

• Like 7

8ntruck

Looks good. 

For something like this, I'm not sure if there is a right way or wrong way - maybe just different ways.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Looks good. 

For something like this, I'm not sure if there is a right way or wrong way - maybe just different ways.

Agreed. 

That's what the old time theme of hot rodding was all about. 

As long as it's safe, it's right. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's what the old time theme of hot rodding was all about. 

As long as it's safe   FAST, it's right.                           :auto-layrubber:                   :ychain:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart

Yeah EB.. old time hot rodding, safety was the last mark on the checklist... often times never gotten to for the race!

• Haha 3

giddyap

I had to get this photo between rain drops because yesterday I spiffed up my 9 year old Pathfinder. I said spiffed because I no longer wax my vehicles. Yesterday I used "Mothers" CMX ceramic spray coating (Walmart $18). Apply with micro cloth and allow a few minutes for it to bond with the paint. It's a little more effort than a poly coating but it may last longer. And wax has a "layer" which debris embeds intself, not so with the new products. Never wax again. BTW other than a smuge on the camera lens, there is a nice reflection of my wife's car. 

DSC07192.JPG

Edited by giddyap
typo
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

giddyap

Oh Oh My intro said I tried this project before and failed. Now that my last update is 3 weeks old, it appears it happened again. Nope, It's just because I changed gears. I originally planned a go-kart drivetrain but if you examine the photo I will now have those gears to change. I always said building a custom is like one step forward and two steps back. And now with the anticipated spring nearly here, coming yard chores will be putting this project on a slower pace. How it ever gets done amazes me.       

DSC07213.JPG

DSC07215.JPG

DSC07241.JPG

• Excellent 6

ebinmaine

Looks fantastic.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

That frame is so resourceful and awesome!

• Excellent 1

slim67
On 2/20/2021 at 4:14 PM, giddyap said:

Yes, My Cub 100 is wearing a pair of those and I can switch em. During this mock up stage I'm dreaming of Silver Lake Michigan running wild on the sand dunes

As long as its registered and with a flag. I saw some wild stuff when I was there but that would take the cake.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

That frame is so resourceful and awesome!

It is indeed!  I personally might be concerned with frame 'twist' though and look for some ways to prevent that.

And with that shifter between my legs, I would definitely want a good seat belt!  And maybe wear a 'cup' when driving it!

I don't think I would install the 'shifter handle' that I've pictured in my perverted mind either!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 6

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, slim67 said:

As long as its registered and with a flag. I saw some wild stuff when I was there but that would take the cake.

There are certain trail and orv passes for vehicles that cannot be registered. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

slim67
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

There are certain trail and orv passes for vehicles that cannot be registered. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Like street vehicles? I remember having to get something at the gate. That was for a RZR . It was awhile back .

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Like street vehicles? I remember having to get something at the gate. That was for a RZR . It was awhile back .

you probably got trail and orv passes.  If it was a long while, just ORV I believe.  They designated the dunes as a trail system to require one more tag and one more fee.  I still love going!

slim67
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

you probably got trail and orv passes.  If it was a long while, just ORV I believe.  They designated the dunes as a trail system to require one more tag and one more fee.  I still love going!

yes I would like to go back just to cruise around on a lifted golf cart but I would have to add some safety equipment I think or at least last time I checked. It was an experience and would be there every weekend if I lived nearby. Its a 6 hour drive for me.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I go down to the city police chief, ask about the family, and he writes me a permit to run my side by side in town:) Out past the city limits.....in the "County"...LOL we do what ever!

I'm not an atv or offroad junkie, but I have a buddy at 304Offroad.com that could direct y'all to all the good rides etc. around WV

and come to think of it he'd know the exact process and requirements to go fully road legal.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

I go down to the city police chief, ask about the family, and he writes me a permit to run my side by side in town:) Out past the city limits.....in the "County"...LOL we do what ever!

I'm not an atv or offroad junkie, but I have a buddy at 304Offroad.com that could direct y'all to all the good rides etc. around WV

and come to think of it he'd know the exact process and requirements to go fully road legal.

In our county, there are three state roads... M-37, M-43 and M-179.  As long as they are not on an “M” road (crossing is ok), any ATV/UTV can legally drive down the road at 25 mph or less.  It’s a new thing, but pretty nice given there are many seasonal roads and routes to cruise on! 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
16 hours ago, pullstart said:

In our county, there are three state roads... M-37, M-43 and M-179.  As long as they are not on an “M” road (crossing is ok), any ATV/UTV can legally drive down the road at 25 mph or less.  It’s a new thing, but pretty nice given there are many seasonal roads and routes to cruise on! 

Pretty much how it is here, stay of the interstate and rt33, everything else is rural you can go anywhere!

giddyap

A little more headway and a new view

DSC07245.JPG

• Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

giddyap

All my trade secrets EXPOSED. :lol: I reveal parts of my build I missed taking photos of until now. The making of a jackshaft required a complete tear down so I will try to give some details of the mess I made. The frame was extended with HD shelf brackets. The trans plate is flipped and original frame extended with 1/8" 2x2 angle which may seam weak but the transaxle is secured via 4 points. 2 at transaxle plate, 2 at seat/fender and a wide plate to a 2x2 which at each end is the body tie down. If need be I can secure the frame to the axles with a snow plow type bracket. Double 1.5" wheel spacers. To be different the centrifugical clutch will be on the jackshaft. The frame was cut out for the axles which I had to "fix" for the frame to rest on the axles. Have a question? I will try and make an excuse that is believable.

DSC07280.JPG

DSC07281.JPG

DSC07282.JPG

DSC07286.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ranger

Looks like it’s going to be great fun, how are your front spindles secured to the axle? The reason I ask is because I had a circlip come off which was holding one of my C121 spindles to the axle!  The spindle detached itself from the axle whilst running over rough ground. Yours being inverted could be worse if they came off.

Doug.

• Like 1