kitkit

AG Steering Tires

kitkit

do AG  tires on the front end help steering/ sliding   when trying to drive in snow . Thank you 

• Like 2

Oldskool
1 minute ago, kitkit said:

do AG  tires on the front end help steering/ sliding   when trying to drive in snow . Thank you 

I dont have any issue

20200711_075953.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

General consensus is rubber in snow is bad no matter the tread design. 

Get some #40 roller chain and do like I've pictured below. 

It'll steer like it's on rails. 

IMG_20201228_130623802.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, kitkit said:

My first are on their way so I have no first hand experience but I ordered them after spending a lot of time searching this site.  I gathered that they should be turned backwards, the reverse of the rears and that they do help steer in conditions that ags like, not packed snow or ice.  For GT fronts search for roller chain. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

General consensus is rubber in snow is bad no matter the tread design. 

Get some #40 roller chain and do like I've pictured below. 

It'll steer like it's on rails. 

IMG_20201228_130623802.jpg

Man you got them nestled right in their groove!  Way better than mine and I've got twice the PSI!  Guess my colorful comments weren't feeling their stuff today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Man you got them nestled right in their groove!  Way better than mine and I've got twice the PSI!  Guess my colorful comments weren't feeling their stuff today. 

They're a link too short I think but they sure do hold. 

Here's a pic of the ratchet strap in action. 

IMG_20201228_120059125.jpg

• Like 4

Mike in NC

I had turf tires on the front of our Bronco 14 and I had to replace them. I debated between Ags and the V-61's. I went with the Ag's. I have used it one time in the snow so far and it did good. I have them turned forward. The last steer tires I had on it were loaded, and I need to load the new ones. It will make a difference. The turfs did good loaded.

IMG_2619.JPG

• Like 5

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

They're a link too short I think but they sure do hold. 

Here's a pic of the ratchet strap in action. 

IMG_20201228_120059125.jpg

No wonder your chain set in well! 

Ok, strap is the tool!  And at least one link shy.  Mine was 1/2 link shy. 

Maxwell-8

AG will have more traction the just truf tires. but not as good as lined tires.(you see them on 2wd tractors)

Chains are the best option, but i mainly have paved stuff and we don't have much snow, and barely any ice.

• Like 1

squonk

Turn them around. Some Ag's even say it right on the tire.

DennisThornton

I almost bought V60s.  Probably will the next time I need fronts.

WVHillbilly520H

I have OTR LAWN TRAC R1s, in most cases pointed normal as the rears they are 100% better than turfs by far, but if you look at the tread pattern closely they have an overlapping flat center section which IMO gives these tires a couple of advantages over "standard" AG patterns, 1) better/smoother ride 2) more lateral traction/grip, 3) the corner/ends of the bars are flat/squared off which allows them to bite as well for more lateral grip, but alas rubber without maximum weight won't bite in frozen ground/grass or ice and of course they are not driven so basically its moot to consider them for actual straight line traction, but "flat" plowing of snow I have had excellent results but if side plowing along an incline even going down hill there is slippage, hell even my 4x4 eMax won't hold that line and steer without using the rear/independent "steering" brakes.

20201023_170113_HDR.jpg

20210130_163630_HDR.jpg

20201217_145717.jpg

• Like 2

kitkit

has anyone tried conventional  tire chains in the front tires steering traction  

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have it on the snow blower tractor so not directly comparable to my plow tractor with Roller chain.  The roller chain works better and is a lot smoother....

IMG_0063 (3).JPG

• Like 1

squonk
8 minutes ago, kitkit said:

has anyone tried conventional  tire chains in the front tires steering traction  

@Ed Kennell

Ed Kennell

I altered a small set off a walk behind to fit my fronts on the 520.  They do help steering, but  the results I'm hearing from members that have used the #40 roller chain  sound much better. 

The problem I found with regular size chains were they rubbed the tie rod end  and understandably, the cross chains  would have less side to side traction than a circumferential chain.  

• Like 4

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have OTR LAWN TRAC R1s, in most cases pointed normal as the rears they are 100% better than turfs by far, but if you look at the tread pattern closely they have an overlapping flat center section which IMO gives these tires a couple of advantages over "standard" AG patterns, 1) better/smoother ride 2) more lateral traction/grip, 3) the corner/ends of the bars are flat/squared off which allows them to bite as well for more lateral grip, but alas rubber without maximum weight won't bite in frozen ground/grass or ice and of course they are not driven so basically its moot to consider them for actual straight line traction, but "flat" plowing of snow I have had excellent results but if side plowing along an incline even going down hill there is slippage, hell even my 4x4 eMax won't hold that line and steer without using the rear/independent "steering" brakes.

20201023_170113_HDR.jpg

20210130_163630_HDR.jpg

20201217_145717.jpg

Mine arrive here on the 28th.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them...  Glad to hear you like yours, and faced as they are.

But, have you run with ags on the front reversed?

DennisThornton

I'm going to add tire chains to the front of my compact but I've never had any intent to do so on a 2wd.  Certainly not now that I have roller chains.

Then again I've never had any intent to put ags on the front yet I've got some coming...  BUT, I can put roller chain on them too!  Or not.  Or remove them. Or...

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Mine arrive here on the 28th.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them...  Glad to hear you like yours, and faced as they are.

But, have you run with ags on the front reversed?

No I haven't and don't plan to, even though they aren't driven my mind works differently in I have to have "symetry" and this is working for me. Never seen a MFWD(4X4) farm tractor come factory with front tires reverses even though it may actually help with reverse traction in the barn lots.

3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm going to add tire chains to the front of my compact but I've never had any intent to do so on a 2wd.  Certainly not now that I have roller chains.

Then again I've never had any intent to put ags on the front yet I've got some coming...  BUT, I can put roller chain on them too!  Or not.  Or remove them. Or...

@Ed Kennell

IMHO, these would be the best front tires chain option for turf , AG, or "snowblower" type treads, it blends the roller chain and crosslink style, might be a bit rough riding though ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PXAQO7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_14ZCZ8V2AASZ63GDX8K7...

Also has my 4x4 ATV out to play just a little bit ago even with the big deep treads low tire air pressure and front axle engaged it still wouldn't climb over iced over plow banks (like steering against an angled blade) just kept clawing along straight with the the wheels turned hard.

20210220_111413.jpg

20210220_111410.jpg

20210220_111437.jpg

20210220_111512.jpg

20210220_111147_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

OK Jeff,   your filling this cheap old coal miners head with ideas.      

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I like those!  And pricey but not too bad:

12   23-10.50-12  ATV1-11CR  $158.20

I'd still run roller chain in the fronts.

• Like 1

Rusty Tinsnips

In my recent experience the Ags work slightly better than these.

I am going to reverse the Ags for the next snow event to see if it is better.

KIMG0684.JPG

KIMG0779.JPG

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

OK Jeff,   your filling this cheap old coal miners head with ideas.      

Ed I'm sure you have enough spare chain (and the tools) laying around to build you a set of the diamond net style without ordering new, I'm just pointing out some options that may work as well as roller chain without the aggravations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, Rusty Tinsnips said:

In my recent experience the Ags work slightly better than these.

I am going to reverse the Ags for the next snow event to see if it is better.

KIMG0684.JPG

KIMG0779.JPG

I've been eyeballing ATV tires just today.  Not just for the fronts.  But for now I'm so impressed with roller chains on the fronts!

• Like 1